• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Drop sides

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a huge fan of the dropside. They are rattletraps for sure. I have one, will probably keep it as when you need it there just isn't a way around it but I do miss the rigidity of my fixed side bed.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What if you took a BF piece of angle and bolted it to the bed and the side. It would be a lot easier
to unbolt the angle then to swap the bed.
Also, in a lot of cases, you would only have to unbolt the side.
Bruce

Last edited:

unclemikey

For my deuce project, I would have given anything to have had a drop side! Have even considered a change over some time in the future, who knows. I think they are cool, but did not know about the tailgate issue. Still, I could live with that.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a dropside owner, I will say this - They are kind of a pain if you don't use or need them. The tailgate closure is not simple like the non dropside, and if there are people sitting on your troop seats, it can be very difficult to close the tailgate sometimes.
No argument from me about the tailgate latches. They are alot more aggravating than the standard bed.

I have the troop seat problem also but I thought it was because I don't have the braces that go on the rear of the troop seats? Do you have the braces?

Avn-Tech

Group,

My understanding is the Air Force first addopted the drop side, and did not need the winch. The Air Force seldom does cross country trecks on a normal bassis (like we did when I was in the Army).

On the later M35A3, I see most have drop sides after the rebuild. Now all I need is the $10K + to upgrade.

I also have an M35A2C, drop bed and love it. Mine did not come with a winch, but I now have a winch setup to put on when I get time.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No argument from me about the tailgate latches. They are alot more aggravating than the standard bed.

I have the troop seat problem also but I thought it was because I don't have the braces that go on the rear of the troop seats? Do you have the braces?
I do. Maybe they aren't adjusted right.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As a dropside owner, I will say this - They are kind of a pain if you don't use or need them. The tailgate closure is not simple like the non dropside, and if there are people sitting on your troop seats, it can be very difficult to close the tailgate sometimes.
I've seen a bunch of guys have their tailgates flop open from the standard bed hooks bouncing out. I know a few guys that put the drop side latches on a regular truck to avoid this.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me dropside came out of TN ant it had hooks on the tailgate chains instead of the T-Bolts. A good friend provided me with a set of T-Bolts that stay in the tool box for those times when they are needed.

kwiksilver

I'm going to make a cam lock t-bolt for mine. chain is a pain in the a$$ too. If I bob mine I will offer up the drop side for a non drop. No sense in cutting up a drop side for a bob job. Sounds like some good trading material for a spring set ;)

steelandcanvas

The tailgate closure is not simple like the non dropside, and if there are people sitting on your troop seats, it can be very difficult to close the tailgate sometimes.
Do you have the required support braces on both sides? Without the braces, the sides tend to lean out, making closing of the tailgate difficult if not impossible.

Katahdin

Group,

My understanding is the Air Force first addopted the drop side, and did not need the winch. The Air Force seldom does cross country trecks on a normal bassis (like we did when I was in the Army).

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech
FYI, here's a 1969 Army M35A2 Dropside in Vietnam circa 1970, so they were at least making them back then. Mr. Doyle did the registration number check in another thread.

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

Theres a couple local FDs that have dropside deuces, one of them is a w/w model. The dropside works out really good for them, because they can lower it and take out the fold-a-tank relatively easy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks