• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Dump Truck Conversion

tobyS

I'm working on doing the telescoping cylinder and 24 volt pump on a 923 Cargo. PM me for more info.

DeuceSiek

Hey, it’s been a while since I have posted on here. The Dump conversion is still running strong and I have had no issues!
I am currently working on adding a hitch plate. I picked up a trailer for my excavator and need a way to tow it. When I did the dump conversion I shortened the frame and had to remove the factory bumper and hitch setup.

Attachments

DeuceSiek

the next step is to figure out how to work the 12v electric brakes. I have picked up a nice 24v to 12v converter capable of 40amp output. But that’s as far as I have gotten. Any recommend for brake controllers would be great.

DeuceSiek

The back of the plate is reinforced with 4in x 1/2 steel plates. I cut all materials and tacked them in place and had a local welder do all of the welding with a larger machine than I have. He is a professional fabricator and does commercial dump trucks all the time. He has assured me that this setup Is overkill for the load I will be towing.

DeuceSiek

o_O...... So no strut bars - and them bolted (not welded!) to the frame?

That looks dangerous to me, as it is....
Not 100% sure what you are trying to point out. Everything is welded to the frame.
Do you think the flex of the frame could cause the welds to fail?

I am extremely concerned about safety, I looked at several dump trucks that have been in service for a long time and they all had similar setups.
Thank you for your feedback. I will do some additional research.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here are my arguments:
First of all, welds on the frame should be avoided. Not only because the frame does flex. I would never rely on anything only welded there, even if it was the best welder who did it!
2nd, if all you want to pull with it is a 3/4-ton trailer, your setup should hold fine. But don't even think of tow-baring another Deuce and having the safety chains attached to those shackles, way down there!
3rd: Knowingly, what can happen, will happen.... There will come a day when you got stuck in a ditch or in soft ground, heavily loaded - and someone with a big truck or heavy tractor will try to pull you out, same way you went in. Guess where the recovery strap (or worse, a chain) will be hooked up to.....?

For safety, I'd move the pintle hitch and D-rings back up to their stock height and position. Then run a pair of L-struts, from the frame down to the receiver hitch. Bolted to the frame, of course!

Here are some ideas:
20200914_130855.jpg M35, aux hitch 004.jpg M35, aux hitch 006.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks