• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Halogen Headlight Upgrade

I purchased these exact lights. They arrived in a timely fashion. Did the swap out today, they are bright, but did require modification. Purty easy mod over-all, installed spade clips for bulb mounting. Bulbs were loose in bucket with keeper ring reinstalled so created a spacer ring to snug things up. Great upgrade, but not a "plug and play" as mentioned. I did do the install on a M923 so,,,,,,,,,,,,, not a deuce. Will do the deuce another day.

God bless,
Tony
I have the glass ones that eagle referred to. They rattled around in the buckets because the flange on the bulbs are thinner than the originals. I stripped the insulation off of some 12 gauge solid copper wire and put a series of crimps in the wire. The wire goes into the rolled inner edge of the headlamp retaining ring. The copper is soft enough to compress when seating the rings.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did something similar but used 1/8" o.d. hollow vinyl tube. Took up the difference between the two types of bulbs. Snug now, and vinyl makes for some cushion between the steel and the glass of the bulb. Great Mod though, they are purty bright! =)

God bless,
Tony

Ok so I received the lights from octane lighting on ebay today. They look very nice but they are the plastic buckets. I don't mind though. I also got plug ends so I can cut off the bullet military connectors and splice this plug in. Overall very happy with the lights. I will be picking my truck up in two weeks and this will be the first mod cause the truck I'm getting has the low beam out. For the prices of bulbs this mod was a no brained for me.

20140131_200830.jpg20140131_200855.jpg

gungearz

Can anybody tell me how these compare to the LED headlights? Brightness, cutoff, etc..
Well, in my opinion... I think the L.E.D bulbs have a glow to them and the halogens have a spot with a tapper glow... L.E.D's pretty much stay cool to the touch, halogens will burn the heck out of you if you touch them... L.E.D's have tiny computer chips of some sort, halogens are mechanical... last I checked, the halogens were 10% of the cost of the L.E.D's... personally, I love the way L.E.D's light everything up but as the cost came to play with the amount I use the truck... I did it as cheap and as effective I could and proud of the results... plus, I'm also glad the bulbs I ended up with are D.O.T legal....

welldigger

I have the led headlights and I like them. But I got them for a deal. When they start screwing up....which I'm sure they will...I'm converting to hid's.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm thinking along those same lines too. Did anyone else get any of those tan lights that Streamline was selling? I'm pretty sure they have halogen headlights in them. I will be using those for my conversion.

welldigger

I'm thinking along those same lines too. Did anyone else get any of those tan lights that Streamline was selling? I'm pretty sure they have halogen headlights in them. I will be using those for my conversion.
Are you talking about those ibis tek light bars? They have hid's in them. I thought I saw where someone said they installed a couple of them but no pictures.

eagle4g63

I have had mine in since late summer.....I also drive my truck every day, not sure how many miles since I installed mine but they are holding up great. Also by me the roads aren't very smooth, so lots of bouncing...that and plenty of railroad tracks.

One other thing, on my truck I have NEW rubber insulator mounts, so that may also help.

gimpyrobb

Well, I just got a replacement phone and for some reason the first 2 pics I tried to post are not working. Here are the 2 pics that DID work. I'll get more later, after I've put a couple beers away. :beer::gimp2::gimp:rofl

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Ok, I guess I had the resolution too high. Anyhoo, these lights have a massive glass "cap" protector thingy, I might try to keep them to keep the lights safe. Here is the other 2 pics.

Attachments

Ok so between the jim thorpe show and being drug to a party by my wife I quick got my headlights swapped. I already did the harness earlier. That was easy.... the one thing I didn't like was the H4 plugs weren't tight. If I have any problems I'm just going to use spade connectors. Now even with stock bulbs hardly any of the screws fit close enough to grab the bucket. So I grabbed some 1/4-20x1" socket cap screws and bingo golden. At the prices of oem bulbs compared to this conversion it was a no brained for me....

Attachments

bigbird1

Well Idk if I over tightened them or what but this is what they look like at lunch today... called the place and they are sending me two new housings

Dan Did you use the Straight plug, I found the 90 deg. one didn't fit right , the porcelain straight one fit like the stock ones. I did put hella bulbs in though.

Yes the straight plug but it's not tight.... I don't think It will come off but if it does I'm just going to use female ends and put them right on the bulb tabs.

gungearz

Just upgraded from the 70w/75w bulbs to the 95w/100w bulbs... makes a little bit of a difference.. there's a little more shoulder glow and it's brighter... the range seems like it's a little further also....

After almost a year of installing this headlight upgrade, I've never yet had any malfunction and was running on the same bulbs that came in the kit... just wanted to upgrade my upgrade with brighter bulbs..

No burnt out bulbs, or connectors, lenses are still as clear as the day I bought them...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks