• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce hard tops

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was on the carport this morning attempting to beat an old riding lawn mower into submission when a truck pulls up in the yard.

Two guys get out and ask if the dueces in the back yard are mine (no, I'm just deuce sitting them................here's your sign).

I give them the 50 cent tour and one of the guys says he buys and sells oddball lots of stuff when he gets a deal.

On his last deal he says there were several deuce hardtops (new in the crate) in the bunch and he wants to flip them to me.

Both of my trucks already have hardtops so I have no personal need for them.

But the Green Iron Addict in me sees the chance to score some "product" to resell to my fellow junkies (no need to thank me).

I checked retail price at the usual suspects and new ones are north of a grand. Used ones start at 600 bucks and go up.

He seems to think 600 bucks a pop is fair but I have to consider schleping them to rallys, tying my money up and storing them until they sell.

I don't want to insult the guy (he seems to have done his homework) but I am wondering if I can make a deal and sell them at a reasonable profit.

What, in your opinions, would be a fair price at a rally taking into consideration the economic times we are in.

This is not a for sale ad.......if I get them I'll post them in the classifieds with a price.

I'm just trying to make a judgement call and I seek your input.

Thanks to anyone that cares to chime in.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've bought and sold a few hardtops. They bring good money but they are a pain to deal with. Too big to ship reasonably and they take up a lot of room hauling them to rallies and such.

Personally, I'd want to be in around $400. Even selling them for $800 and hauling them around to rallies, you still won't be making much profit.

IMO, $800 new hard tops will be a slow mover. Sure, that will be a heck of a deal compared to other new hardtops for sale but the fact is most people are just as happy with a good used hardtop for $600.

I've had a hard time in the past selling used ones for $400. Mainly due to the fact that they cost so much to ship.

There's my two cents. 2cents

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would have insulted him and asked him if the lump on his shoulders was his glutious maximus cause everything else about him is high.

Would not have touched them for that price if you need to resell unless you can get TNJ or one of the other big boys to buy them for a high price. The big boys seem to think they can get 1200+ for a new one.

Sirblissfull

I bought my two for 500 and 150.

Lately there does not seem to be much interest in them, I guess nearly everyone that wants one has one. Or no one has the money right now.

m816

My budjet doesn't justify 6/800 for hard tops any day. I would rather sell /swap for even. But that is just me. Where some of these guys are going with their prices is rediculous these days. Its supposed to be a hobby.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think as a reseller, the absolute most I'd want to be in for is maybe $400 each.

Like the others said, they're impractical to ship, which means your only means of selling them is either hauling them to rallies (lots of work) or running ads and waiting for a buyer to come to you (lots of patience required).

That brings their value down for a reseller.

I am not sure what the market is for NOS ones right now, but whatever it is, I think it's outlandish. I remember 5 years ago you could buy NOS ones for $3-500. And that was before GL flooded the market with hundreds of NOS ones!

I think you should tell him you'd do $600 for the pair. Let him try and push you higher.

paramedic7831

WM, I would pay $450 for one new or used as long as no dents. Shipping I think will be the SOB variable. I don’t care what they "go for". That’s just what’s its worth to this dirty poor redneck

Last edited:

goldneagle

I think as a reseller, the absolute most I'd want to be in for is maybe $400 each.

Like the others said, they're impractical to ship, which means your only means of selling them is either hauling them to rallies (lots of work) or running ads and waiting for a buyer to come to you (lots of patience required).

That brings their value down for a reseller.

I am not sure what the market is for NOS ones right now, but whatever it is, I think it's outlandish. I remember 5 years ago you could buy NOS ones for $3-500. And that was before GL flooded the market with hundreds of NOS ones!

I think you should tell him you'd do $600 for the pair. Let him try and push you higher.
I agree with CLINT. Reminds me of PawnStars. They always seem to pay low and double their money.

paramedic7831

I also agree with Clinto. They have a value to us b/c it's our hobby. But to this guy assuming he don’t have a M35 to put it on or part of SS to sell them, its cumbersome to stock pile them or try to do anything with. So like Clinto said low ball offer. The fish might bite!
GL WM

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IMHO, I'd "like" to be in them for $250. But I'd go up to $350. Price them at $500, then let people haggle you down to $450 and they should be quick sellers for $100 in your pocket each. Most likely the guy is doing the same thing. He probably has 250-300 tops in them each and wanted to double his money on you. I'd ask if it was ok to be frank with him. Explain the logistics situation and how $600 is "retail" on them. How at rallies (that he's not likely to trek to, make sure to ad that) we're "frugal" and don't like to pay retail.

I know it sounds like I'm being a cheapskate. But we do the same thing with tires. We might be presented with a huge inventory. But if the margins can't work out for us to supply customers with tires at a good price, we just pass.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really should fix that double posting thing....

Hardtops are on of the things for M35's that are priced way high in my mind. I can't see why the hard top is worth more than the engine.... I got one cheaper, thanks to Gimp.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be patient with him. If he came to your AO to try and sell them, it proves he has no market for them. Probably not alot of other folks in Sandrock with a similar disease. Not to worry about offending him but I'd just tell him that they are hard to market even with lots of connections and with that said, $$$ is what I can afford to invest. If he did "due diligence" in researching them, he has certainly visited this site.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another way to think of it: GMA soft tops were $171 last time I bought one, they are $350 now.:cookoo: (makes hard tops look like a better deal)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another way to think of it: GMA soft tops were $171 last time I bought one, they are $350 now.:cookoo: (makes hard tops look like a better deal)
My soft top was less than 100 when I bought it - from you.

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks