• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce has a low air leak

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The worst thing water in the system does is freeze in the winter. On a M35 you'll only loose brake boost if it freezes. On civilian trucks will full air brakes, you can loose all your brakes.

tm america

i have a quick release valve on the tanks on the one i am having trouble with.
this is most likely your problem they almost always leak.. i would switch back to regular pet cocks or 1/4 turn valves to fix that leak .. before i waist any of my time hunting down other possiblities..You probably need to adjust the air governor to .. but when you get done reading the tms on your truck you should have a good idea how to do that:roll:

cyruscat

After having my M35A2 a while I mentioned to my brother who owns and drives semi-tractors that my air would leak down overnight.

He laughed at me and said "that ain't a leak!"

But seriousely, I would like to make my system more air tight............

Tlauden

Man, 30 psi overnight... Must be nice, mines at zero within 6 hours of shutting her down, but it holds pressure going down the road so I'm a happy camper, maybe one day I'll get around to checking the whole system for leaks, one more thing to my to-do list...:?

Clay James

Both mine will leak down half their air pressure in a few hours(never let them sit longer before draining the tanks). They hold air while driving so I don't worry about it much. I know where a couple leaks are but I'm doing the more important fixes first.

SWoods

You mentioned in post#8 not making over 80psi; check your belt. A loose belt can = low air pressure when running (I know from experience). like post#9 said you should be running at 100-120 psi.

Jake0147

how do i fix. after sets over night its down to 30psi.

If you want to fix that, you've got to break it first. If you want to make it better, you probably can. With a leak that slow, it could be ANYWHERE, and odds are you'll find that it's not so much one big leak, as the cumulative effect of a bunch of minimal leaks. Soapy water in a spray bottle and some quality time are in order. Spray anywhere there is air.

it never get above 80psi
Now that may well be a fixable problem. That's very low. Probably functional, but not what it should be. Does the compressor cycle as it should, mostly off and just replenishing the air from time to time? Or does it run all the time? Do you get the "woosh-pop" when the governor drops the unloader line anywhere from ten minutes to a couple of hours after you park the truck?

BadMastard

First, let me claim NOT to be an expert. What I can say is that every single time I fix a leaky hydraulic/air system it breaks somewhere else with the "new" pressure until I have replaced every component in the chain. Might just be me. Just in case it's not though, the first thing I'd replace is your gauge. A good measurement is worth it's weight in gold. And of course, good luck!

Zepol95

First, let me claim NOT to be an expert. What I can say is that every single time I fix a leaky hydraulic/air system it breaks somewhere else with the "new" pressure until I have replaced every component in the chain. Might just be me. Just in case it's not though, the first thing I'd replace is your gauge. A good measurement is worth it's weight in gold. And of course, good luck!

:ditto: I fully agree...First strange thing - keeping 30psi at night? Unheard of from people that I know...plus, not creating +80psi...you'd have a problem that would be VERY obvious. Althought BadMastard claims not to be an expert, that is the most viable explanation I have heard so far..

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, about it not going over 80 psi... Sometimes my gauge sticks at 90 and if I tap it, it goes up to 120 psi like it should. Maybe a little tap to see if it moves when it's pumped up.

Jimma

Yeah, 30 psi after sitting overnight is pretty good. Most trucks will be at 0 psi. The issue with draining them is to get the moisture, scum and oily stuff out. If you are running alot on a humid day you will be suprized how much moisture builds up in them. If you are doing it for the first time in a long time dont put your face under it when you blow the tanks. You will be wet and oily.

Katahdin

Just read this in the 1965 TM and it cracked me up. So as long as your soapy air bubbles grow to smaller then 3 inches after one minute@100 psi, you're good-to-go! rofl

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks