• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Introduction

MiltonFine

I live in Central PA and I've been looking at getting a Deuce for my farm. Is there anyone that lives nearby that would want to show me the ropes and maybe provide a tutorial on what I want to look for when buying (like bad spots, noises, etc.)? I know from experience with an original civilian Hummer that there's a lot of little things to look for and listen for. I'd be curious to see how difficult insurance is in this area and if there are any hoops with registration. I'll throw in a couple CSA boxes from our farm this season for your trouble if you want.

Also, I've never been in one or seen one up close, but I have a feeling it's something I'd like (love?). I need to pull our 37HP tractor and implements plus haul a 500-1000 gallon water tank on separate occasions. The truck will also have to go to market sometimes, and be a daily driver of sorts when my wife is at her other job. I've looked into some late 1980's diesel pickups for around $3,000, but I'm not sure which is the more intelligent choice.

Any comments are welcome.

About me: I used to have a 1994 HMCS which I owned for about a year. Loved it, but had to sell it. Used that to learn how to work on vehicles though. I like vehicles that are tough, rugged, useful, and dependable. Ride comfort and noise are of no concern as long as it gets the job done. I used to enjoy taking the HMCS to Rauch Creek.

Thanks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
From your last paragraph, this sounds like the truck for you. If you were closer, I'd offer to help. Worst comes to worst, look me up at Aberdeen in May. I'm sure I can show you all about the trucks and I bet you could pick one up there too. Someone closer will probably chime in here soon. Welcome to the site.

wildbilly1760

Where at in central PA. I am between Clearfield and State College. I am going to recover a M109 with a 105 trailer this Saturday. And possibly a M-35a2 at the same time.

XM 2742

The 500-1000 gallon tank is the prime reason I got mine for farm use. Kinda hard to haul 4-8ooo lbs of water in a pickup.

MiltonFine

Thanks for the replies guys. I am from near Hershey, PA, about 15 minutes from Fort Indiantown Gap (AKA "Anneville").

I will have to talk with my wife about the RC trip. It's Easter weekend, and I don't know what our plans our yet, but we'd be up for attending if we have free day.

hklvette

I'm buying my friend's M35 for our farm, and its been great to have around. With a 2" receiver added, it pulls the hay wagons through nearly anything, and can be used to pull the tractor out if it gets in a bind. An issue with towing is finding a trailer that can hook to either the lunette or receiver that your tractor can ride on. I'm strongly considering picking up an 818 in the future for just this purpose.

my 2cents

markmontana

Hello MiltonFine, welcome. These trucks are cool and I hope you decide to get one, and do your part to preserve a slice of history.

Since you are so close to Ft Indiantown Gap, you might offer to help someone pick up their deuce. You could learn a ton of stuff at a recovery, and your eyes will pop at all the trucks they have around. There are a lot of trucks to be picked up at the Gap in the next few months.

MiltonFine

Thank you for the PDF file! That helps answer some questions. The information about the brake system is a little scary.

I'd be happy to help someone at recovery. Not sure how much help I could be though.

gunboy1656

The brakes are not as bad as it seems, just look after it every once in a while and your fine, since your using it on a farm, just don't aim it at anything important if the brakes do happen to fail.

Like I said Rausch Creek rally would be your best bet to learn these trucks. you can learn deuces and much more, all in one place. There are quite a few people out around you that are on this board.

MiltonFine

Here are some pics of the truck in Mercersburg.

I may go down there tomorrow or the beginning of next week to take a look. Can't really tell much from the pictures I don't think.

How hard are these to drive? Is it similar to any manual transmission? I've driven a couple cars that were manual, and my tractor is manual. My dad used to mention that some heavy trucks had "clutch in/clutch out for each gear" whatever that might mean. He drove International horse carriers from the 70's if that helps.

Been spending a lot of time reading the topics on here. Thanks for all the good information! Decided that a radio might be a fools investment given the noise levels, and that the tire changing sounds scary. Are the rims similar to the 2-piece beadlocks I had on the HMCS? They had runflats inside (which I know these don't).

Attachments

hklvette

First gear and reverse are unsyncronized, but the other 4 are, so it shifts fairly smoothly. stopping distance will be a bit longer than most vehicles, so drive accordingly. Steering in tight spaces without air assist or hydraulic power is nearly impossible, but once moving isn't too bad.

greenjeepster

You want an m35a2c for around the farm. The link you listed looks like a good buy on one. The "C" indicates that the side of the bed flops down which is really handy if you need to put a pallet of anything on the truck with a fork lift.

Attachments

MiltonFine

I was thinking about it today while I was out at the farm, and I think it would be a good choice. My other considerations were an M1008 or M1009. They're harder to find surprisingly. I can't fit long things inside the bed of those, and it seems I'm always toting around something that's 14-16FT long and doesn't want to fit on a trailer either.

I think the only thing that seems like it would be an issue is that it must feel like driving around a dump truck all the time. Not in appearance, but as far as size. I've driven a lot of wide vehicles, the only one which bothered me was a 2003 F350 Crew Cab with a long bed and duallys. It just always seemed like a lot of work to drive (unlike my HMCS). I had to take that F350 into NYC once to pick up a sofa for one of my eccentric friends. :)

Last edited:

stumps

I think the only thing that seems like it would be an issue is that it must feel like driving around a dump truck all the time. :)
Driving a deuce sounds like you are driving a dump truck around all the time, but its feel is surprisingly small.

You are way up in the air, the cab is tiny, and the windshield is close. Because the fenders stick out from below the hood, and are mostly out of your site line, they don't give you the visual feeling of driving a barge like the big Dodge PU trucks.

The only time that a deuce feels really really big is when you have to maneuver. You simply cannot turn the wheel while you are stopped, don't even try (your tires thank you). All of your maneuvering will have to be done while in motion. Making lots of turns at slow speeds will leave you huffing and puffing after a while. You are going to think you can make that sharp right turn, and crank the wheel as fast and as hard as you can, and still find yourself in the left lane. You aren't going to feel like weaving through the neighborhoods looking for short cuts... What good is a short cut when you have to work that hard?

On the bright side, driving down the highway in a properly maintained deuce is very easy. They just mosey along down their lane, minding their own business... sounding like a big old dump truck ;-)

-Chuck

Capt.Marion

I did about a 100 miles round trip in mine today, starting at 0530 in the morning, and getting home just recently. While you aren't going to be accelerating up hills, and you aren't going to peal out of an intersection like a sports car, these trucks are simply big pickup trucks.

The majority of the learning curve with these is making sharp turns and maneuvering in small areas, (i.e. parking lots, etc) since they are a bit longer than a pickup truck and the steering radius is much bigger. Other than that, when you get used to the way it drives, it's pretty straight forward. They're great trucks to work with and to drive.