• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Introduction

MiltonFine

Sounds like it's an adventure driving one! :) Do you guys wear earplugs, or have you padded the cabin?

My primary vehicle just went out of service (again) today, so I'm now more seriously considering trying to dump that and pick up an M1009 or M1008 before the M35. I just don't think I could drive the M35 around every day. Plus, I was considering tagging it as a "farm truck" which means I can't drive more than 25 miles from the farm (50 for service), and I have to be doing "farm related activities". I would do that just so I don't have to get it inspected because I don't know how much that would cost and where I would take it. I don't think the only shop I trust would even be able to get the truck onto the lot! Maybe someone in this area has some input. :?

DEATH DEUCE

Welcome there milton. My deuce is titled what it is 1953 studabaker. That being said its elligable for antique tags. Four pictures and walk it through penn dot. No inspection and the insurance is $75 a year from a collecter insurance plan.

MiltonFine

Welcome there milton. My deuce is titled what it is 1953 studabaker. That being said its elligable for antique tags. Four pictures and walk it through penn dot. No inspection and the insurance is $75 a year from a collecter insurance plan.
Thanks for that info. Unfortunately, I've got to use it a bit more than what I think an antique plate will allow. Otherwise that is the way I would go.

The insurance sure sounds nice. 8)

stumps

In Maryland, Farm Tags are good for a 450 mile radius, and use includes maintenance needs of your farm home, meaning shopping, movies, etc..

To be eligible, you have to reside on at least 20 acres.

Oh, and I wear a pair of hearing protector muffs. The deuce exceeds 85db in the cabin even at idle.

-Chuck

MiltonFine

Thanks Chuck. Unfortunately, PA isn't nearly as lenient and I'd have to keep a logbook whenever I drive the truck plus it still needs an inspection. Those are some new laws that go in effect starting at the end of the month. :neutral:

I looked at the Deuce today that I posted some photos of above. It ran well and was in what seemed relatively good condition. I got to go for about a 20 minute ride. My biggest concern was rust. It came from WI and had a rust through at the front lower corner of the passenger cab vertical surface and the driver's rocker was bubbling on the horizontal surface inside the door. Also, pretty bad rust at the lower front end of the fenders where they bend over and attach to the frame. There was also some rust around the windshield panel frame and the underside of the bed had white salt deposits. Otherwise it was mainly superficial rust.

It has a heater, the air shift front axle, drop sides, new soft top, hydraulic drivers seat, and 80% tires. Hubs didn't seem to be leaking much (one looked a bit questionable). Engine felt what I would think is normal with a faint "thud-thud-thud-thud-thud-thud" rumble in the floor every second or so (I think that's the engine firing). Injector ticked along nicely. Started up quickly and with a minimum of smoke. The owner also left it idle when we returned to cool down the turbo, so he seems to know the trucks. He also was an extremely nice guy.

I have to say I thought the driving experience was very odd and would take getting used to. The steering wheel impedes quite a bit into your personal space. :) It also starts off much slower than I thought possible.

Last edited:

MiltonFine

After careful consideration and contemplation, I decided the Deuce is probably not for me. I am uncomfortable with the split rim "suicide" wheels and the single point of failure braking system. Also, I think working on it could be difficult and I am not quick around a manual transmission. :???:

I think I would be wiser to find an M1008. They're just harder to find it seems. But one of those would fit in my shop and I could use my lift for maintenance which, from experience with my other vehicles, makes a world of difference.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Milton,
It sounds as though you've gained some wisdom that you can apply to your personal situation and success. THAT is one of the awesome benefits you'll find here. Check out the info available for the CUCV's, M1008's, M1009's, and anything else you might be able to put your hands on.

[thumbzup]:jumpin::driver:

MiltonFine

I can't get that test drive out of my head! It was so much fun! :driver:

Since I think I could create a new front brake circuit, the only thing left is the wheels. I think from my searching on here that 22.5" rims with 6 lugs are the correct size? I suppose they all have the same offset? I read in one thread that perhaps the width was a bit too small on those rims?

I could probably come up with 6 of those and tires. This is a large trucking crossroads with a lot of shops and junkyards. But that would remove the two things that make me uncomfortable about the Deuce. Just don't know how it would perform when it get out into the field then.

I just have this image of those split rims exploding when I go to remove the lug nuts with an impact wrench. :shock:

Farmun

I wouldn't be too concerned about the split rims "splitting" when removing the lug nuts. The most danger occurs when inflating the tire after the wheel has been seperated. Some guys do their own tire work (mouting/demounting) and others take their tires to a truck tire shop, which will usually have a cage designed to hopefully capture any flying rings.

The front brake circuit (aka dual circuit) is a topic that has been discussed here forever. Use the search function, and you'll get a sense of what others are thinking/planning/doing to make the brakes more reliable. IIRC there hasn't been that "Voila" moment yet.

The Deuce is a monster to drive, loud, smelly, heavy and slow. But that's what makes it attractive to an old farm boy.

Good Luck in making your decision.

MiltonFine

Ah, this is what I've been looking for the last couple of days:

Look for ( in no order): Torque rods with bad rubber, puffing or lots of smoke from the crankcase vent, running on less than 6 cylinders, won't exceed 45 mph, rusted rockers and cowl, oil coming from the brake drums, really late clutch engagement, clutch slipping, oil puddles under truck after sitting a day, wobbly fan blade, lots of play in steering, severe rust in rear spring trunnion seat, exploded winch worm housing, howling from any gear cases, blue smoke from exhaust, no hum from in tank fuel pump, oil in air tanks, engine oil milky, water running out of axle fill plugs, high engine oil level, clicking or knocking from engine, puffing exhaust, pulls hard when braking.

Others??

MiltonFine

Any insight into moving a deuce from SC to PA? Is there anyone near Fort Jackson that would be able to assist?

Also, are the trucks from the south less rusty? I know they move around from location to location somewhat.

I have this dumb idea for a few items down there to pick up in one fell swoop, and I can tow one but not the Deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks