• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce is not working with me!!!

airmech3839

I had the deuce down for a month or so and finally got a new T-case installed in it. So after I got it in and drove it around, I went back to normal routine. I filled up with my black fuel in the tank and proceeded to carry on... then I realized I hadnt changed the fuel filters in awhile after she started to hesitate... so went out to bleed filter bowls to make sure they were clear of gunk and what not... no in tank pump... crapaua.... Checked power at top of tank and on pump side of fuse... good volts.... double crapauaaua.... ok well she will still run with the IP pulling the fluid... So I change the filters and pressurize the fuel tank with air and open bleeder on top of secondarys and pushed fluid up then closed off bleeder and reset tank back to vent normally.. tried cranking and nothing... she turns over but no sputter or even a hint of starting.... I check IP to make sure that the cutoff rod is all the way in and it is. So I tried a gas soaked rag in the intake area and nothing. It is cold and icy here so I am charging the batts and put a couple halogen lights under the hood to warm up IP and intake area and try again later. It was suggested to use a propane torch without lighting it to put propane into the intake and try that. I am running 100% WMO so the intake heater is no good.. I have mine disconnected anyway!

Any other suggestions?

I would like to have the truck running today. I was asked to be ready in case I was needed to transport some people to the hospital that are on call since it is really icy here. I told them that I may or may not be able to help. But of course would love to use deuce in this way!!

airmech3839

I put gas in the filter bowls when I changed them so that they would be full and less air... I did try pressurized tank and cranking. I am not sure that the cylinder is getting warm enough to light the oil off.... I have no room in the tank to add more fuel... she is full..

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How about disconnecting the fuel line that runs from the tank up the first filter and sticking it in a 5 gallon jerry can with diesel in it? Get the truck started and let it run long enough to get the engine good and hot, then hook the fuel line back up to the tank and WMO.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
100% WMO is a real problem for starting at less than 40 degrees. Give Clinto's suggestion a try, getting some heat in the engine will make a real difference.
So why do you feel intake heater is no good with WMO. (I know you said it was disconnected.) I run mixed fuel and have no issues with the intake heater.

hoop

Put your turkey cooker under the oil pan for about 2 hours. It works.
If you use ether....just 1 to 1.5 second spray onto the air filter.

militarysteel

dump some gas in the intake while cranking, or get a can of Starting Fluid,, if you hose it down and it still doesn't start maybe your compression is low, 100% waste oil is not something i would suggest. puts alot more strain on the intank pump. the darn thing is old enough as it is. i always just use 100% diesel, it works great makes good power, and makes my m35 very reliable. COST MORE, but you gotta have money to mess with the MV's.

airmech3839

100% WMO is a real problem for starting at less than 40 degrees. Give Clinto's suggestion a try, getting some heat in the engine will make a real difference.
So why do you feel intake heater is no good with WMO. (I know you said it was disconnected.) I run mixed fuel and have no issues with the intake heater.
I have never used it with WMO and did not think it would do the job. Mine was leaking so I had disconnected it awhile back. So if I hook it back up and pressurize the tank would it possibly work? I dont have any ether...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Straight WMO is going to be thick......it may not be going through the injector lines or it may not be atomizing in the injectors.

This is why I ALWAYS cut WMO/WVO with something thinner.

Are you sure you are getting fuel from the secondaries to the Injector Pump.

You may have a problem until you can get the system warmed up.

airmech3839

I am hoping the 3 halogen lights under the hood will heat it up enough... I know it has thawed the snow off the hood to just a small pile. I have a light on the IP the Intake and the secondary filters. If I had one more light I would put it under the tank to warm it up too.. If I could just get her running I would let her run for an hour or so at just above idle and get her good and warm. Thanks for all the ideas.. I am going to try as many as it takes to get her running if at all possible!

dmetalmiki

too much strain

In the hieght of summer waste oil might well work. in winter? never! and the (poor old ) intank pump is now probably burnt out ..bit like trying to pump treacle through a living van water pump. NOT made to do it. In any case there is no mention of cleaning or filtering..if that is how you are (not) running now ..not much suprise there. The intake manifold heater will not ignite thick oil its only a "spark plug". try squirting unfiltered oil into a two stroke motorcycle..will it run? NO. come to think of niether will a gas motor car. oily cylinder leaks in a car engine...NO spark..plugs oiled out!. A little considaration for your vehicle will get you up and running again. (when I hit the "igiter" on all three of my trucks I hear a distinct "woof" a the igniter plug fire the fuel in the manifold. hitting the go button then results in an instant start. the deuce fire without . the 5 tons? you can crank ALL day..no pre heat..NO start!. good luck. if you have a source fill the engine/radiator with really hot water. mebbe that will start it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT use propane.

As for the in-tank pump, the impeller is not directly connected to the motor. It is driven magnetically. 100% UMO is just too thick for the fuel system when it's very cold out.

Go buy a 30 gal plastic trash can. Drain 1/2 your tank and add diesel to it(cut it 50/50). Push the diluted fuel into your system.

You can screw around all day long, or just do it right... Learn a valuable lesson.

Last edited:

hoop

Thats all I use...WMO.....and gear oil...Heat the block up.
I use a block heater and I have no problems...at least down to 10F.
Heat the block and or oil so you can get the proper RPM's.
PERIOD..

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ether self ignites under pressure(controllably) compared to propane.

walmart has both cheap plastic trash cans, and ether.

Do not spray, then crank. Spray only while cranking. One person can do it. roll the passenger window down, aim and push the start button with your toe, then spray. Pull your throttle out a little, first.

If you can open your windshields, you can sit in the middle and spray from there and use both hands and have your left foot on the throttle

Last edited:

Terexts

I'm running my deuce on bout 90 percent WMO at the moment. Just the oil I'm using is thinned down with gas. My truck cranks up just fine when its real cold, my intake heater does work either. I would try what clinto suggested and see what happens. My next fill up will be more like 70percent WMO and 30percent gas or diesel.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited: