• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Light Rack Build

Here's a project I've been wanting to do for a while, I have always wanted additional lighting on the truck and loved the idea of a light bar on the roof. I want something that looks military and will hold up to moderate and occasional off roading.

I drew up a concept of the bar, I'll be building it out of 1'4" x 1" flat stock and a section of angle iron. I am designing it to accommodate 6 rectangular off road lights.

Before anyone says anything I really do prefer the look (and cost) of traditional halogen lights despite the energy, brightness and size advantages of LEDs. Maybe on a more modern truck I would get LEDs but this is the best way to get the look I'm after. :)

The rack will mount to the outside of the windshield frame and will work for either a hardtop or a soft top. It will also be able to articulate forward to allow for hardtop removal or backwards so the lights can still be used even with the windshield folded down on the hood. It will also not interfere with my M66 when installed.

Here is my concept, already have most of the material build updates will follow soon.

Attachments

Anyone have any suggestions for mounting hardware to the windshield frame?
I know the metal in there is really thin and want to make sure it can withstand a potential beating on the trail. I was thinking about using large self tapping screws.

Ideally I think that might be the way to go, but my brackets align with the rear of the windshield frame as opposed the the front.
The whole bar might end up at an angle that way but I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Hainebd

Nutzerts. I installed a light bar on my cj with 6 kc day lighters on and never had an issue. Nice work on th light bar. Are you powder coating or rattle can?

peashooter

Attachments

peashooter

I think I will be going the Rivnut route if I can borrow or find a kit for a reasonable price.
I've used a couple kits. The first one I bought at a Menards store (Sort of like a Home Depot). That Rivet nut kit had a variety pack of different size rivets along with the tools, and was about $20. It came in so handy and I liked it so much that I decided to get a nicer kit that would last me longer.
Here is one of the cheaper versions from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-85..._indust_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AGH2DZF2RK3E5BWAH7D

Hainebd

You do not need a special tool to install. Just use a bolt and nut with two wrenches. Hold the nut and tighten the bolt. Hole size is very important. Use a new bit. Better yet drill hole undersized and use the proper reamer. Keep the picks coming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks