• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Loading Ramps?

ratat98

After reading this I'm intrigued...I want to make some ramps to load my jeep into the back of my truck, and do it fairly cheaply and easily...I'm still not sure if the jeep will fit, but I'll measure it tomorrow. Anyway..saying it does fit, the curb weight of the jeep is 4340lbs. I want to make 12' ramps that one man can handle. Will 2x12's braced with a 2x4 placed vertically along the length under the 2x12's handle that weight? I've never really messed with lumber much, so don't beat me if that's a crazy idea!

Tlauden

I wouldn't use lumbar... U said the jeep weights over 2 tons, that's way to much weight for a 12 footer, braced you might get some more strength but probably not much more. I would say find a hill to back the trick up to to help lower the angle of the ramps, and shorten up the distance. Best of luck to ya

ratat98

Thanks Tlauden,
Yeah I started looking at the angles of 12' ramps and figured I was way off. I may get some C channel and put a brace in the center for support. I want to be able to load/unload anytime and anywhere..

plym49

I think that there is a way to do this with wood, but not by using 2x stock. What might be needed is something where you have side flanges that add stiffness - like an I beam on its side. The challenge will be in constructing the ramps light enough to handle, but strong enough to carry the load. Yes, you would need vertical supports in the center. Wood is stronger in compression. Steel or aluminum is stronger in tension. A ramp built to take advantage of strength in compression is going to look a bit different. Using a good quality plywood for the vertical components (glued and screwed) would add s good amount of stiffness. Finally, a 12' overall length is going to provide an exciting drive up and down the ramps, even in a Jeep. Perhaps two sets of 12' ramps. The first goes from the deck on the Deuce to the ground, and is at a steep angle. The second set goes from halfway up the first set of ramps to the ground. Now you have a shallower approach angle. Te vertical supports would be right underneath where the two ramps meet, in the middle. So yes, I think it can be done, but with some good design, good materials and good craftsmanship.

ratat98

I was just playing with sketchup, and came up with this. Now that I've seen it, I know I was kidding myself. This is different than what I was thinking, but it might give someone an Idea!

Attachments

plym49

I was just playing with sketchup, and came up with this. Now that I've seen it, I know I was kidding myself. This is different than what I was thinking, but it might give someone an Idea!
Try the diagram with a second set of ramps, to ease the approach angle. Material choice and construction still needs to be carefully considered.

sierra117

I did a little ramp workup myself granted it is not as nice. I am planning on 1"x1"x1/4" angle iron for the ramp material. They should be about 20' long and fold in half. Still have not worked out the support yet. I really wanted longer ramps because the 10' long one made from double 2"x10"x10' are really steep and make me nervous when loading or unloading my big 6x6 atv.

Attachments

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rat, here's something that might work. put two 2x4's on edge under the 2x12's on either edge. Use good quality adhesive and 1/4"x4" lag screws about every 1 1/2'. In the center, put a 4x4 leg with wood spacers to take up the space between the outer 2x4's. Round the end of the 4x4 so it can swivel as a fold out leg. get a 1/2" bolt long enough to go the entire width of the board. Attach a good size chain to an eye bolt in the other end of the 4x4 and attach the other end of the chain to a bolt toward the bottom of the ramp. This will keep the leg from kicking out, and will help divide the ramp into 6' sections. 'Course I'm just pulling this out of my arse, but maybe it will work for you. I'd also mix in some sand into some paint, to paint the top for traction.

ratat98

Thats not a bad idea John. Sounds heavy, but manageable. Whatever I make, I plan on testing it out at a lower angle to see how it holds the weight before I actually use it on the deuce. I don't want to be driving my nice jeep up and have them break underneath me.. I want to make something like gingletaubs setup on the first page of this thread, but I have no way of getting the materials for that.

ratat98

Here's a sample of what you suggested John, it might work, but I wouldn't trust the hinge in the middle. I think if it were solid, it might hold the weight. I'll have to do some research.

Attachments

ratat98

Oh scratch that, I read your post wrong, let me redo this.

Ok I like this one better. I can add more legs if I want too. looks heavy but looks strong also!

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I like this one better. I can add more legs if I want too. looks heavy but looks strong also!
You may want another leg at the top. As it's drawn now you are still putting a lot of weight on a small section of material where it sits on the tail gate. A second leg would reduce much of that stress.

ratat98

You may want another leg at the top. As it's drawn now you are still putting a lot of weight on a small section of material where it sits on the tail gate. A second leg would reduce much of that stress.
Yeah I was thinking a leg at top and possibly one between the middle leg and the top. Basically make this a self standing ramp

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh scratch that, I read your post wrong, let me redo this.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of! If it works, I've got a patent on it. :razz:

(If it don't, you never that post)

Jeepjake

A Comprimise

After reading this I'm intrigued...I want to make some ramps to load my jeep into the back of my truck, and do it fairly cheaply and easily...I'm still not sure if the jeep will fit, but I'll measure it tomorrow. Anyway..saying it does fit, the curb weight of the jeep is 4340lbs. I want to make 12' ramps that one man can handle. Will 2x12's braced with a 2x4 placed vertically along the length under the 2x12's handle that weight? I've never really messed with lumber much, so don't beat me if that's a crazy idea!
Ultimatly i intend to solve this issue with a knuckle-boom crane and lifting points permanantly mounted on my Jeep, for the meantime I have attacked the problem from a middleground. 12 foot long ramps are more than I want to deal with. I have a pair of 6 foot ramps that started life as a 12' aluminum loading ramp for a commercial moving truck. They have afforded me plenty of opportunities to load/unload at locations that would prove worthless without any form of ramps. Granted you still have to find a bit of a hill, but all you must find is a small hill that is enough to bridge the gap. Almost any ditch alongside forest roads will work. Ironically enough, so do the "tank traps" that are generally dug at the end of roads that have been closed.

As far as fitting a Jeep into the back, you shouldn't have much trouble.. I can literally walk completely around mine if it is parked in the middle of the bed.

what the deuce bed (older deuce) is lacking is a good set of anchor points for heavy loads....

--Jeep

Attachments

plym49

Instead of using 2x4's underneath to add stiffness, consider something else. Reason is the weight to stiffness that the 2x4's will add is not that good. Suggest using plywood. Rip 1/2" plywood, say 6 or 8" wide, the long way. Use construction adhesive and screws to attach to the edges of the 2x12. One pievcce will be 8 foot long, and the other 4 foot, since you will be using 12 footers. Then, again with construction adhesive and short screws, attach a second layer of plywood, but the other way, so that an 8 foot length overlaps the joint underneath. Now you have a nice strong I beam that weighs as much as the one made of 2x4s, but is a lot stronger. As long as your Jeep's tires fit int the channel, you are good to go.

THis way, you will also have plenty of meat if you decide to use a hinged setup. I doubt that will be needed. The four ramps will sit about 3 feet wide under the Jeep, and you can close the tail gate. Easier to handle four separate ramps than two longer, doubled hinged ramps.

But there is no one correct answer, just many possibilities. I have used the approach described before (but not for a Jeep on a Deuce) and the plywood works well at adding stiffness.

An alternative if you do not want to double the plywood is to make what, I believe, is called a scarf joint. You cut one end of the plywood at a deep, long arrow point and the other with a corresponding notch. Then you gusset the overlap with thin sheet metal (steel) say 14 gauge or so, with screws. This is almost as stiff but again, less material and a lot lighter.

plym49

I did a little ramp workup myself granted it is not as nice. I am planning on 1"x1"x1/4" angle iron for the ramp material. They should be about 20' long and fold in half. Still have not worked out the support yet. I really wanted longer ramps because the 10' long one made from double 2"x10"x10' are really steep and make me nervous when loading or unloading my big 6x6 atv.
Not a bad design; going to 1 1/2 " angle will add a considerable amount of stiffness. 2", even more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks