• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce manufacturers

waayfast

My 1957 M-35 has "Utica-Bend-a subsidiary of Curtis-Wright",so I understand the "Utica". BUT --did Curtis-Wright actually make these also? Jim

TaylorTradingCo

first year for the M35

Another thing I could not nail down directly was when the M35 was first produced. It said 1949 for the M34 and then they soon changed to the M35, but how soon is soon?

Derek Taylor

datsunaholic

The data plate on mine has "General Products Corporation, Jeep Division", which is backwards from the "General Products Division, Jeep Corporation". The dataplate is a VERY faded original from 1971, and has the AMC logo on it. They vary.

50ChevyFrank

the olive-drab site also says 10 different manufacturers for the M44/M35 series trucks but does not list them anywhere that i've seen. memphis equipment list Reo, Studebaker, White, Kaiser Jeep, AM General. i also read somewhere that White Motors at some point bought Reo and Diamond T separately and then joined them into Diamond Reo. Were any built with the DR name?...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
David Doyle is our resident expert but has been absent lately.
I believe he may even have a book on the "deuce" either in planning or already in print.
You may try sending him a PM as he is a very busy guy.

Wreckerman is right. David is who I was beating around the bush about. He's super busy as an author.

Can tell you this, David has forgotten more about deuces than any of us will probably ever know. If there was ever a go to guy on production and history of military vehicles, he's the man.

Awesome person, just super busy. That's why I would say catch him at a rally or something and shove a drink in his hand.

Would sure like to do the Vulcan Mind Meld on his brain.

No offense to others but I think we are all amatures at this production history stuff. David is the professional in our ranks on it.

TaylorTradingCo

The OD site is where I got my reference number of 10 from. It says that in regards to the M35 series only, not the older stuff.

I have a Reo and it says Reo Motors, Inc. on the plate.

I am going on Thursday to start picking up from the big sale at Redstone and one of them was described as a Studebaker-Packard. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Derek Taylor

GoHot229

Some time last year I was looking for OEM body parts, and recieved several replys in the thread about there being Deuces made in Korea ? Some refference made to 'Kia' .........is that true, do they now make them there or? and does anyone have knowledge of 'sites' where one could brouse and looky-loo at them. Or a site that might lead to site etc. It would be very interesting to see the evolution to modern if there is such an animal.
After a breif search on google I came up with some interesting facts I was not aware of. See the pics. All KIA
I guess my newt queston is.... why do we not see these Vehicles occasionally?

Attachments

Last edited:

50ChevyFrank

OK, so production of the Reo-based M35 deuce ran from 49 or 50 to 70-something? With the following manufacturers
Reo
Studebaker
Kaiser Jeep
General Products Division, AMC
AM General
Curtiss-Wright
Utica Bend
who?

The A3 variants were not new but refurbished trucks? Right? So they got new name tags and serial numbers from the company doing the refitting?

And some of the M35 production ran concurrently with the GMC M135 deuce? Am I getting the dates mixed up? :?:

50ChevyFrank

I googled Utica Bend and learned that it was a wholy owned subsiduary corporation of Curtiss-Wright. During the merger of Studebaker and Packard C-W, already a huge defense contractor, bought some (all) of S-P's defense contracts (for dimes on the dollar) and formed the Utica Bend Corp and built military trucks under that banner starting in 57...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so production of the Reo-based M35 deuce ran from 49 or 50 to 70-something? With the following manufacturers
Reo
Studebaker
Kaiser Jeep
AM General
Curtiss-Wright
Utica Bend
who?

The A3 variants were not new but refurbished trucks? Right? So they got new name tags and serial numbers from the company doing the refitting?

And some of the M35 production ran concurrently with the GMC M135 deuce? Am I getting the dates mixed up? :?:
Studebaker-Packard also made them. The odd thing is which companies bought out which. Most of these companies are related. Kia and Bombardier manufactured copies of these trucks and many are still in production albeit somewhat updated. I don't think White ever made a deuce but they did the engines. REOs and GMCs were produced around the same time and were actually in competition for the deuce contract. Reo based trucks were delivered in 1949 for testing and full production was underway in 1950. I'm forgetting some details but David will come along one day and correct me.

gerrykan

Reo
Studebaker
Kaiser Jeep
AM General
Curtiss-Wright
Utica Bend
who?
I'm sure I've got a cab with White named as the manufacturer. I will try to look this weekend. I believe it was off an M49 tanker truck.

Verkstad

Con-Ed built MVs. Most notable the M123. Question being did they build any "smaller" units?

Sorry to split hairs,
It's been a slow day for me...
And I am sure its just a typo or brain freeze on your part.

Con-Ed / Consolidated Edison is a giant electric, gas & steam utility Notably serves Most of New York City and Westchester County.
Evil corporate giant in the eyes of many, But from 1970s experience a decent employer.

Condec / Consolidated Diesel Electric Company makes all manner of things.
My experience is ConDec ground support equipment. gen-sets. etc. I think they mostly assemble outsourced parts and have very little manufacturing capacity of their own.

I thought most notable Condec product (at least in the MV crowd) was the Gammagoat.

Jakob

FreightTrain

Banned
Actually it is Jeep Corp with General Product Division below it......I got a pair with a Kaiser Jeep kicker and one blind card(Hey,I can't remember who made my other deuce that is in death row).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks