• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce on 12.5R20s

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I just went and looked at a deuce that is for sale near me and it was sitting on 10 12.50R20 Michelin XL's.

Towerguy1

Those look a little bulged past the rims. Bet they handle poorly on the narrower rims. But the worst problem is the duels are to close. I bet they chafe, good way to cause a blowout!!

Other than that, they do look good. Maybe better if used as super singles!!

rdixiemiller

The tires fit better than I would have expected! The bulge is not as noticeable with that tread design. I would imagine a street tread would look a little worse.
If you ran 60-70 psi., you would be able to run these as singles and be OK. We always wanted 2" between the duals to keep the tires from chafing. In Fla. we were always cleaning those big longleaf pine cones from between the tires on the back. They will wedge in there, and eventually wear through the sidewalls. I think we would have run singles back then if they had been available, and if we hadn't been so cheap.

Was that the truck S of Cleveland? What did the rest of it look like?

rdixiemiller

Bjorn, maybe a good tire type for your truck?
Last time I was at Bergs, there were plenty of those tires in the warehouse.
We really need to make a road trip up there......
BFR, 73M819, Clinto, Joe Schaeffer....... up to it?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I saw it today up close but didn't take any pics.

10K miles, 1700 hrs, heater, west coast mirrors, Michelin
12.50 radials (all 10), c or d turbo, looked like a new radiator (or recored),
airshift, spring ride seat. No canvas, troop seats or racks. vinyl roof. Most
glass broken. No leaks under vehicle, although lots of mud (the owners must
have been doing their best Brad900 impersonation). Says $3500 on window. No winch           

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh, and also has Extreme Off Road stickers on it, must have come from those guys before they closed up shop.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
rdixiemiller said:
Was that the truck S of Cleveland? What did the rest of it look like?
yes it is the truck south of cleveland. There was not anyone around so I didn't crawl around on it too much...
-It was a turbo MF
-air shift
-sheetmetal/paint looked good
-no winch

bossler

I like the idea of running 12.50R20 Michelin XL tires on the deuce as duals. I imagine it would greatly improve traction on and offroad. I am mainly interested in offroading, so I had been considering larger super singles. Is the traction with the 12.50R20 dual tires good enough that it rivals or eliminates the need for bigger (49 inch) super singles?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bossler,
For sure traction and floatation will be much better with those radials, either duals or single, but keep in mind that the 12.5x20s have a little less rolling radius than the stock 9.00x20, so you actually loose some ground clearance.
Also forget 49” rubber for a deuce! (Unless you are planning some severe modifications!) The distance between rear axles is only 48”!

Gerhard

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire traction is directly proportional to the load you are carrying. To add traction, add cargo.
Off-road, the NDCC's are probably as good as any tire from what I have read. The bias ply may even be an advantage in some cases.

rizzo

gringeltaube said:
Bossler,
but keep in mind that the 12.5x20s have a little less rolling radius than the stock 9.00x20, so you actually loose some ground clearance.

Gerhard

are you sure about this? a 12.5 should have about 3.5 inches more ground clearance.

ida34

I think he may have confused this with passenger car tire sizes with the ratios instead of the exact measurements.

M1075

The 12.5R20 and 9.00x20 are effectively the same height (I think the 9.00 is listed to be slightly larger). A 12.5 definitely does not increase ground clearance 3.5". You'll need 15.5s or 395/85R20 to do that.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rizzo and ida34: I was totally sure when I wrote that!
It's like M1075 said: no way to gain 3 or more inches with that tire size!

Check following info:
http://www.conti-online.com/generat...d/mpt80/dimensions/dimension_12_5_r20_en.html

For all 12.5R20s they put 1030 mm (40.6") outside diameter and 480 mm (18.9") static radius in their catalogs, real measurements are usually a little under that, with radius rapidly decreasing when lowering tire pressure for sand, mud, etc..
With dual 9.00x20s (new) at 40 psi the distance from center of axle to level ground is approx. 19.5" (after sitting for a while, truck unloaded)

Bjorn: Believe me, once you try modern radials (i.e. MPT multi purpose tires) in sand or mud (never have snow here!) you will change your mind about NDCCs. The only disadvantage is their price if you want them new.
But you could look for good used Michelin 12.00R20 XML for example, they fit well on your M34 wheels. Tomorrow I will be visiting a friend of mine who has exactly that combination on his deuce, and shoot some pics. He used to love his original bias ply... until he accepted to try those radials!

Gerhard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks