• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce on 12.5R20s

ida34

It really wasnt clear by just putting up the sizes that you were comparing radials to bias plys. That is a totally different story. Radials run lower than a comparable bias ply. That being said the same size tires from different makers yield different measurements. Bias ply 12.5 compared to 9.00 should be taller if it is the same tire design by the same maker at the same pressure and on the same size rim. I know it has been 18 years since I sold tires but I don't think they have changed that much.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard, my tire philosophy in a nutshell is this, to get good highway tires (like the Goodyear G286 or G177 used by the military), which will give me good wet pavement traction and continue to use tire chains off-road.

ida34

My philosophy is try to keep my truck as close to the one I drove in the Army. This requires 9.00 20 dual rear NDT's. If I drove the truck more I would start upgrading with power steering, locking hubs in front, remove the rearmost driveshaft, and put on better street tires.

carguy455

Bear in mind too that aspect ratios and tire sizes vary between MANUFACTURER as well. A tire made by two different companys that is SUPPOSEDLY the same size WILL vary. I found this out the hard way when I used to sell tires back in the 90's.. Check EVRYTHING first , assume nothing...

ida34

ida34 said:
It really wasnt clear by just putting up the sizes that you were comparing radials to bias plys. That is a totally different story. Radials run lower than a comparable bias ply. That being said the same size tires from different makers yield different measurements. Bias ply 12.5 compared to 9.00 should be taller if it is the same tire design by the same maker at the same pressure and on the same size rim. I know it has been 18 years since I sold tires but I don't think they have changed that much.
Come on carguy. My inferiority complex is bad enough without you ignoring my posts. My kids and wife seem not to hear me now my posts aren't being heard. :lol:

rdixiemiller

ida34 said:
My philosophy is try to keep my truck as close to the one I drove in the Army. This requires 9.00 20 dual rear NDT's. If I drove the truck more I would start upgrading with power steering, locking hubs in front, remove the rearmost driveshaft, and put on better street tires.
Perfectly all right! My truck came out of the Army with 1100R20 G286 rasials, so I drive it that way. If I had bought a truck with duals, I would probably drive it that way.
On that note, however, mine does drive very nicely on the radials. Mine gets its share of 240-300 mile trips, and the radials do make it easier. They are also really nice in rainy weather.
I do think the 14.50 radial supersingles look really cool, but I can't justify the expense. Maybe if I win the lottery.........

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the look if duals and will evetually put up with the slight loss in crusing speed.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just let me show you a very cost effective approach to modern military tire philosophy applied to an old, LDS465-1A (!!) powered deuce of a friend of mine in Punta del Este: That truck not only looks good with the tires mounted on M34 wheels, it sits high and drives very well on pavement, even without PSt, performs excellent in mud and sand and those used 12.00R20 Mich. only hurt about $150 ea. (The proud owner used to love NDCCs!)

Gerhard

Attachments

carguy455

ida34 said:
ida34 said:
Come on carguy. My inferiority complex is bad enough without you ignoring my posts. My kids and wife seem not to hear me now my posts aren't being heard. :lol:
Sorry Ida, I wrote without reading, I have been pulling 14-16 hrs a day in the garage to finish plow truck from hell, sit at my desk and rest when my legs give out , check this so I can dream of working on something I actually WANT to work on...my brain is mush right now !

I am kinda mad at myself becuase once apon a time I could have done the math in my head for all the tire interchange...alas, my mush mind will no longer work that way, I have to read and watch while all the other great brains function normally....*sigh*.....

ida34

That is exactly why I got out of working on cars for a living. I like to work on my projects not others projects. Good luck on the plow truck.

carguy455

HOW TRUE ! I got goat roped into this one, its for my 79 year old dad, kinda hard to say no...He bought this 88 Chevy 3/4 ton without looking it over....OMG ! There wasnt much of anything that I have not had to replace/repair/modify on it. He looks at my deuce stuff and wonders "What the hell are you going to do with that ?" ...my plan is to have the deuce to tow HIS 88 Chevy when necessary !!!

Beautiful day here in Maine today, would LOVE to be up working on my fuel pump on my M35 so I could bring her home,instead I am stuck here in the garage again ..*sigh*. All my tires are really season cracked so I was looking for alternatives, I fear a blowout ! Towerguy1 was supppose to help me get it home [ hint hint guilt guilt ] , time will tell !

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
well look at what just turned up on ebay....
Jeez, at least wash the mud off it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks