• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce on a rollback

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some larger rollbacks that can handle longer cars, like crew cab pickups and some limos, etc. But even if the wheelbase of the deuce would fit, the center of gravity would be very high, I doubt many rollback drivers would trust hauling one, especially if the route had lots of hills and turns.

If you need a deuce towed, there are many here with free time, a deuce and a towbar, might be able t help you out for same money, or maybe even less.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend has actually hauled a few of them on that truck, for 300 miles. No issues.

BTW, that was my first GL truck. It was only a 50 mile recovery but I choose to play it safe and simply have it hauled.(with no regrets)

I've learned a lot since then, and I would recomend anyone new to the trucks, to have your first truck hauled.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It can be done, but most rollbacks can't handle it. Papabear had Ronnie haul my goat up here on a rollback. While it's only half the weight of a deuce, it's certainly as long and wide as one.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My logger buddy has a big rollback and has hauled deuces for me and other members here.

It's best to remove the cargo covers and bows in case of a low hanging obstacle.

The big issue would be if the single axle rollback could legally scale the weight if you crossed a weigh station.

Check with the local tow companies in the area and see what they think.

gunboy1656

The guy I sold my 211 to carried it away using a roll back, said they had no trouble.

Told me the truck was rated to carry 18K. I watched them load it and the truck never squatted at all. I was surprised. Will load the pics when I get home later.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had my car towed last week via rollback, I asked the driver what the capacity was, he said 12K, guess it depends on the rollback as far as weight limit.

quickfarms

The standard car rollback with a gvw under 26000 only has a capacity of about 12000, these have an aluminum bed. What you need is a medium duty rollback that has a gvw between 35000 and 50000, these usually have a steel deck.

Stalwart

No, not much, but I got rid of it in favor of a power dovetail trailer and an F450. Commercial insurance is a killer for something I only used a few times a year!

I wanted to leave the DUKW to continue it's conversion to iron oxide, it was nearly there, but a friend wanted it to follow him home. rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt at greengem hauled deuces on his rollback all the time including a trip from MI to FL.

A

A/C Cages

When I was in Japan I saw a flatbed scoop up a semi and trailer and haul it off. I have even seen a tow truck over there they pulled along the side of a car, reached over with a grappler system, and put it on the flatbed and haul it off.
They have some kool toys over there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks