• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce overheating help.

taylordc15

Ill wait for the thermometer and then check back with you guys. I pulled the thermostat and double checked it was in correctly before I ordered the water pump, I may just take it out, cold isn't an issue in south texas.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
This may sound like a smart azz question, but what could go wrong with a Deuce water pump other than the shaft seal going bad? I have 3 new ones sitting on the bench, unless I'm missing something... :?:

Attachments

Last edited:

halftrack

This may sound like a smart azz question, but what could go wrong with a Deuce water pump other than the shaft seal going bad? I have 3 new ones sitting on the bench, unless I'm missing something... :?:
I was thinking the same. I doubt the impellers wore off. How high of a reading do the infared guns go up to by the way? can it read over 1000 deg F? See where I am goin with this? ....a cheap pyrometer?

Last edited:

kc5mzd

How high of a reading do the infared guns go up to by the way? can it read over 1000 deg F? See where I am goin with this? ....a cheap pyrometer?
I don't know how high mine goes. I have measured around 1200 before. The problem with using it as a pyrometer is that you have to get out and open the hood to get a reading. It looks like a small 1 AAA cell flashlight. I don't have it with me or I would take a pic.

kc5mzd

it's gona be the thermostat, or the water pump , but don't run it with out thermostat ! 160 - 180 degree operating temp !
I have heard rumors of people running diesel motors without a thermostat and ruining the motor. I was told that if the engine runs to cold the diesel could build up a varnish on the cylinder walls. They said the only way to fix it is to teardown the engine and hone the cylinders. I have never seen this happen myself but have heard it from different people that don't know each other. They didn't live in Texas where it is fairly warm all year except 1or 2days a year when it gets down to 30 - at night.
I have seen cars overheat without a thermostat. The thermostat slows the water down and lets it absorb the engine heat then it allows it to flow to the radiator where it sits while it cools down. Without a thermostat the water never has a chance to cool in the radiator and causes the engine to overheat.

salmon71

I've had overheating in mine due to a cracked cylinder sleeve issue. I went through countless head gaskets and never solved the problem until I replaced the block itself. Does your radiator pressurize? If so, look for burning coolant from the stack and coolant in the engine oil. If this is the case, It might be the same symptoms I've had. If it is the head gaskets, make sure you get the new style without the fire rings. If that doesn't work (before checking water pump), It's a sleeve for sure. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

salmon71

I agree with the other posts. Also, these engines are designed to run under extreme loads and conditions and they shouldn't overheat that easily. Diesel engines run more efficient at temps around 180-195 to burn the fuel more (due to heat of compression).
The only way the engine could possibly overheat is due to the engine itself pumping pressure into the cooling system (pressure temperature relationship), which will raise the boiling point higher in the coolant, or no coolant flow(which I agree on convection) would be limiting on cooling,or a plugged block or bad head gaskets. Oil coolers tend to rot also and introduce oil coolant problems (especially trucks that sat a long time)
Check thermostat
check oil for coolant
check coolant for oil
check water pump
I'm not a pro, But I've experienced a lot of cooling issues with the multifuel. Unfortunately, mine was a cylinder sleeve. Yours could be a simple problem.

tm america

take the radiator cap off start it up let it warm up as you watch the level in the rad .look to see in the level goes down when the thermostat opens and see if the antifreeze is moving .also look for any air bubbles or grey smoke coming from the radiator when its running 'if youre getting alot of air bubbles or smoke you have a blown head gasket if the level doesnt drop or no movement take the thermostat out and look for movement again if still no movement water pump is bad .

taylordc15

I took the coolant filter out of the loop just to make sure it wasn't the cause. I am still waiting on the thermometer I ordered, I am going to work on it in the morning and will report back with what I find.

taylordc15

I took the thermostat out and that seems to have been the problem. I ran it for 30min at 2000 rpm and it got up to 190. Still above normal operating range but up until now it was getting up to 220 in about 10 min.

What do you guys think? When I bought it and drove it out from New Orleans it stayed right at 200 the whole trip, but based on other post on here I would have expected it to run a lot cooler now that I have flushed out the system and replaced the hoses and radiator.

On a positive note the gun is now up and running, couldn't afford a Ma Deuce so had to go with a 1919a4

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

March 8th, 2009.

TalordC15:

To show you how deuces can behave, my truck will run all day at 2 or 3 MPH on a 95-100*F day, and generally stay at 179*F, same kind of weather on the road with a trailer at 54MPH, same reading. If everything's working right, the deuce seems to be heavily overradiatored, but consider how she's likely gonna get used and abused. Sometimes flushing the cooling system will bring out gunk thats been laying down there for years.
My old girl went 1200 miles in last 5 years of uncle and two civillians before me ownership. I've run her heavily since January 2008, often on 7-8 hour trips on the road.... 4500 -5500 miles her first year!
For mine, its not the rad but the intermittent starter circuit bugs in cold weather. These old girls, if treated with respect and care, will almost always get you home short of a major mechanical failure, unlike the more modern computerized trucks!:razz:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

pittdog

glad to see you got there, hoter down there, ummm , mabe beef up the coolant level up some , just a little tip.... if it continues, wad up a sheet of news paper, hold it close to the stack, bout couple inches and wait and see and smell a antifreez /steam smell, and wet, .. let get to operating temp first ! if it is ! contact me ! hope it's not what it may be, only a realm of possibility ! :roll:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots can go wrong with the pump. If the impeller is pushed too far onto the shaft, it will not have the correct block pressure and have a slow steady overheat under a load. Make sure that the seal around the stat is in good condition or, there at all. If it isn't there, coolant will go around the stat and the stat won't open fully, and go thru the bypass loop, again resulting in a steady overheat loaded. DO NOT run a diesel without a stat. They have two cooling loops, bypass and radiator. With the stat closed, the coolant comes out of the intake and flows out the rear of the stat into the bypass loop back to the pump. With the stat open, the end of the stat seals against the front of the stat housing, sealing the bypass loop and forcing the hot coolant through the radiator...hence radiator loop. If you run without the stat, the coolant will take the path of least resistance...back into the pump via the bypass. It leads to a steadsy overheat loaded too.
Taylordc, you took the fan off. Make sure the fan is on the correct way. Also, IMHO, you need to verify the accuracy of your gauge with a known good one. The IR thermometer is a good way to do this. Also, have the cap checked. If the seal is damaged or not there, the coolant will boil close to 212 'cause the cap isn't working as it should by raising the air to boil temp.
Keep us all up to speed on what you find. These types of issues are sucky for the owner, but can help others when they have similar problems.

pittdog

oK MAN please let me know if it keeps it up , oh , hey like to find a buddy back in 79... F t Hood , lives in cps crsty , maybe you can help too OK

taylordc15

Well, looks like it was the thermostat. I got a new one in today and the truck runs at around 185. I tested the old t-stat and it opens but didn't have a thermometer to see what temp it opens at.