• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Owners in Northern Ohio?

YoungGun

Howdy everyone,

First post onto the site, as I've been doing some window shopping for a possible Deuce in the near future.

I drive past a Deuce owner on my way to work, so I thought I'd see how many are out in my neck of the woods. I'd like to get an up close tour of one of these trucks and see what the owners think.

I also need to see what the Ohio DMV laws are regarding driving these. i.e. - can I drive as a "pleasure" vehicle, what plates are required etc. Basically it would just be for local trips around town, out to the gun range etc. I'd like to get into the parade scene also.

I'm still a "kid" to most, but I remember as a young cub scout, getting a ride in a Deuce for a parade, and I'd like to return the favor!

I'm from the Sandusky/Norwalk (Erie County) area of Ohio.

Seems like a lot of great information on this site, and I can see a lot of time reading ahead!

If your from my area, drop me a line, especially if you don't mind showing a new kid your truck!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site from southern Ohio.

As for driving one in this state, I registered mine as a historical vehicle and drive it when it's running and when I want to. Every ride is a check ride or going to show it somewhere. I have insurance through Gulfway with no restrictions (And yes, I actually read my policy again two weeks ago).

There are quite a few owners in Ohio and a bunch up north.

Good luck and don't blame anyone here if you catch "green fever".

sw

Danger Ranger

Hello!!:p I'm in the same boat sort of... (want a deuce but not a good time in life yet)...anyhow, there are a bunch of owners up here, I'm in Mantua (other side of Cleveland) and there is another SS'r here in town (maybe he'll join in). try craig*li*t.(not supposed to talk of current auctions of sales right? Will edit if needed)

Lots of info on here, welcome aboard!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about an hour south, near Mansfield. Ross lives on Kellys island. Couple of guys over buy Findlay.

Dennis

hdmax

I am about a 4 hour drive south, so not really in your neck of the woods. However, I am in Ohio. Although I have had my deuce for some time, I just recently got it road worthy.
Getting it licensed was very easy, but getting it insured through State Farm is a real pain. I guess these are so unique that it is like pulling teeth on an alligator to insure one.

After several day and 4 different State Farm Agents with well over 25 years each of working for State Farm did I get anywhere. None of the 4 had ever heard of anyone trying to insure a Deuce. One of them looked up the original purchase price the Military paid for one of these in 1970, I was told they were $150,000. I find that really hard to believe, but than the Government over pays for everything.
I may have to go through Progressive, or some other company that insures over the road trucks.
I have had my truck inspected twice now with dozens of pictures taken, I did finally get a price quote, but was told it is not covered yet.

Howdy everyone,

First post onto the site, as I've been doing some window shopping for a possible Deuce in the near future.

I drive past a Deuce owner on my way to work, so I thought I'd see how many are out in my neck of the woods. I'd like to get an up close tour of one of these trucks and see what the owners think.

I also need to see what the Ohio DMV laws are regarding driving these. i.e. - can I drive as a "pleasure" vehicle, what plates are required etc. Basically it would just be for local trips around town, out to the gun range etc. I'd like to get into the parade scene also.

I'm still a "kid" to most, but I remember as a young cub scout, getting a ride in a Deuce for a parade, and I'd like to return the favor!

Seems like a lot of great information on this site, and I can see a lot of time reading ahead!

If your from my area, drop me a line, especially if you don't mind showing a new kid your truck!

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

hehe

I guess these are so unique that it is like pulling teeth on an alligator to insure one.
Pulling teeth on a gator is easier than ya think...they have almost unlimited replacements, and you can hold thier jaw shut with one hand (teeth on outside). Getting the jaws safely closed is the hard part ;)
rofl:rolleyes:

younggun, if you are ever down in the akron area, theres Sam Winers off of 224, and Gamoffs(sp?) Hardware on Copley Circle(Cleveland Massilon Rd and Copley Rd. interesection, just a mile or so east of RT. 21) usually has a cpl older deuces, but if you go there, you better be skilled at the negotiation, or fill big pockets on the way... hes a great guy, but hes a good businessman too... ;)... most of what he had were gas, but i havent been there in awhile... its a cool old fashioned hardware store tho, fun to roam around and look at the weird old stuff.

YoungGun

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Bgekky3 - I'll drop you a PM, thanks for the offer.

What does everyone use their Deuce for? Mainly parades? Or just to have it!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you be willing to split the paper weights?

I could use one to hold down some of the concrete in the big barn.

sw

HDMax, i was with Progressive Ins. for many years. when i looked into insuring my M37, they were able to get me a quote no prob, but when i got my M1010, which is basically a modded civvy truck, they couldnt insure it, regardless of how i classified it(ambulance, RV, box truck, etc.)... so i switched to Geico and have been very happy with them. you may want to check with them if you havent already.

cjcottrill

Howdy everyone,

Welcome from Southern Ohio, I'm in Ross County, about 4 hours South of you. My registration was easy enough, just had the out of State inspection done when I went to get tags. The weight of the truck requires commercial tags, I chose historical since I don't drive it every day, mostly local shows and parades, of course you have to test drive after every service, and a deuce needs lots of service! Even had to haul a few tons of gravel, just to make sure the springs work right you know. Insurance was no problem, I just went to my independant agent, told them what it was and they listed it on my policy as a "for pleasure" vehicle. I only buy liability insurance so the price is not bad. Welcome to the hobby, and it's just a big JEEP - you know; J ust E mpty E very P ocket.

Last edited:

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where in Sandusky are you, I've got a small collection of trucks in that town, (Pearl Street) and "bgekky3" has a couple nice "deuce's" just east of us and elsewhere....... But you're welcome to get ahold of me and we'll go from there. There is a collectors group in the area, a local one, "Firelands Military Vehicle Group", ( I know them well, they're really good folks, I'm the president and unfortunately have been since it started twelve years ago. I keep telling them its not a "banana republic" and I don't want to be president for life.... but they just ignore me and leave me there) then there are two statewide groups, Ohio Motor Pool and Buckeye Military Vehicle Collectors. They both sponsor some shows, on in Findlay, one in Merango (spelling??) We used to have a show at the Ohio Veteran's Home in Sandusky, but that ran into 'issues' we'll not discuss here. But we are now helping with a historic military vehicle event in conjunction with the Fall Oak Ridge Festival in October in Attica, Ohio.
There are alot of different things to do with them, most of our local members are collectors who take them to parades and other events, have alot of fun with them.

YoungGun

Thanks Capt Pat!

I'm actually in Milan - I just put Sandusky since most people would relate Cedar Point to Sandusky. I've seen some in Norwalk, at least one in Berlin Heights/Huron.

Shoot me a PM sometime on when you think you might go visit your trucks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks