• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce power steering gear boxes

ODdave

As of right now i am just asking a question but want honest feedback. I have been comming across Ross HF54 gearboxes lately and wanted to know if there would be any interest from fellow members in them. These if you are not familiar with them, they are the Hydro Assist (power steering) box needed to convert your deuce, search Ross hf54 on this site. All are used but good condition. These things are a real PITA to get off of the trucks but if there is interest i dont mind. I would have to get $150-200 but that is far cheaper than air-O-matic. They would include the spacers and the pitman arm.

Do note that these are not a direct bolt on and will require some fab work, but im shure there is a few of us out there that are capable of this.

I have added some pictures for an idea of the condition of the parts, Also these boxes have bosses that can be machined for ports to go to an assist ram on the axle (one box in the pictures has this done) I have included a pic of and assist ram also. I may find more of these rams, if i do is there intrest in them as well?

Attachments

Last edited:

harleyrkc

I may be interested. What are they off of? And outside of the obvious brackets that need fabricating, what other parts are needed to complete an installation?

ODdave

They are from older model med duty trucks. You would have to fab a 2 joint steering shaft, I am going to try to sorce the parts for the shaft also. I have some but not enough to start selling them.

Last edited:

ODdave

I dont beilive you will find any that will be a "no fab bolt on" inside or out. These are the exact box that was used in the link i posted. Inside frame rail.

Kohburn

based onthe link the assist ram is not necessary.

so basicly a kit with the pump, box, hoses, arm, and joints for the column.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
and you need a new upper column to attach to. gamma goat is as close as you will find and they are new and cheap. tnj murray has had them. saginaw 710 bolts on the outside of frame.

tom

ODdave

1. and you need a new upper column to attach to. gamma goat is as close as you will find and they are new and cheap. tnj murray has had them. saginaw 710 bolts on the outside of frame.
    [*]
    [*]tom

You can modify the original steering column to work. Are you Shure the 710 will fit the original 4 bolt holes?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you can make a whole new column too if you want to, but the goat column already has the lower bearing and all the horn parts. and may only be something like $10. and is NEW. you want to make all that stuff? of course the 710 does not line up with existing holes.

tom

ODdave

Wow, sweet info on the goat column! I will look into that. I was just wondering where the 710 came into the thread, not tryin to be cynical .

westexhunt

I am confused as to why we are now talking about wheels but I would like to have power steering on my deuce, what parts do I need and how much would it cost? I can fab stuff but only have so much time so more details would be appreciated.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... These are the exact box that was used in the link i posted. Inside frame rail.
According to your pics posted, that is not exactly correct... read some more about differences between models here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/15916-power-steering-deuce-3.html

I would not recommend using the HF54044 model. Besides other differences the mounting surface is NOT perpedicular to the pitman shaft.

Also, take a look at my scaled drawing, below.

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks