• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce power steering kit

dreadneck

does any body know anything about an FSC issued power steering kit for the m35a2, nsn#2530013884240?? i'm just wondering if its a full, bolt on kit. or if it requires extra parts not included. from the pictures i've seen it does'nt look like it comes with a pump. anybody ever installed one of these kits??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The deuces never got a hydro system. There is an air powerd assist system available for them. It retails for about 1800.

wsucougarx

Hmm I just saw a particular place in the midwest w/Sooners from a particular place has hundreds of them coming up but I can't say when or who it is:wink:

Last edited:

dreadneck

the reason i ask is, there are a bunch of these kits listed where he said right now and it looks like hydraulic power steering components to me. there's 2 steering actuators a valve and lots of attaching hardware, brackets, hoses, and fittings in the kit. it just looks like it's missing the pump. it could be air over hyd, whats the problem? did these kits not function so well? are there inherent problems with them?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

PM sent. The biggest problem is having to wait for your air pressur to build, the way I see it. Other than that, no. I have not driven a truck with it installed.

He fixed it really quick though! :)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought mine when they were 1100, and had never tried one. I was not very happy with it. I still have it on the truck but they are not at all like a regular power steering system. It is an assist, definately an improvement but I would not pay much over 5-600 for a kit, I just don't think the benefit is worth it.

gimpyrobb

I am a cheap azz, thats about all I would spend too, but I don't think the deuce is that bad to begin with.

dreadneck

the air assist power steering kit would probably allow for a smaller steering wheel which is really what i'm after cause the stock steering wheel is a little close for comfort.

DUECE-COUPE

i have an air assist on my truck. it works well when the air pressure is up, but if i had to pay $1800, i would look for a 5 ton power steering pump and a ford gear box to make i t work, that being said. if you can get it cheap, get it. if you don't like it, sell it and go a diffeent route.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
i have an air assist on my truck. it works well when the air pressure is up, but if i had to pay $1800, i would look for a 5 ton power steering pump and a ford gear box to make i t work, that being said. if you can get it cheap, get it. if you don't like it, sell it and go a diffeent route.
What's this about the 5 ton system and a ford gearbox? Anyone know if this was covered in a thread somewhere else??

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have air-assist power steering on my M35A3. It is OK...seriously, it is only OK. I would NEVER spend serious money for it. I am not sure what I would be willing to spend, but it is less than half of retail. As someone else already said, it is really not power steering. It almost feels choppy at times...and you may have a tendency to oversteer. Everyone likes cool little add-ons for their trucks and I am sure this is why they are drawing interest. In my honest opinion, there are many other things you could do with your money that would make more of an impact on the usability of the truck.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bruce, thanks.
I am glad you posted this. I was just going to post asking for several opinions on this asking"would you spend" X amount of dollars on air assisted steering, but you my friend beat me to the post. Can I buy the unit off of your truck at a reduced rate??? Just kidding!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks