• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Power steering question

uriss

Finally recovered from a spinal injury (almost) and need to put in power steering on my M35a2. Been trying to find power steering help by searching here but I am a real dummy when it comes to computers. Two part question. First I need to know what would be a good system to hopefully scrounge out of a parts yard. Second would be if anyone could point me in the direction of a shop or individual that can install it for me in the Gonzales, Baton Rouge, La. area? I can't turn a wrench anymore and I miss driving my Deuce! Thanks for any help on the subject.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I will get you started. Get a comfy place to read...this will take a while!

No offence, but this link will, in addition to your power steering info, show what to type into Google to get steelsoldiers site results: http://bit.ly/1z02zp5

Woodsplinter

If you want full hydraulic p/s try www.waterloospecialties.com. One of our members sells a kit there made just for the deuce. It's not cheap though- around $3k. Good info there also.
The other option is the air assist unit which I have on my deuce. Not as good as hydro but much better than nothing.
Some members here have them for sale and prices vary generally $1500-$2000. Some people scrounge their own parts and put something together- hopefully they will chime in.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

dmetalmiki

spelling spelt itself

Once you have read the threads on how to actually fit and air power steering kit, You might find it not too difficult, if you take it steady with some assistance as well. The instructions are clear and consise. The one fitted to my M45 was completed in half a day. The steering can easily be worked to full lock iether way with hardly any effort at all , with full pressure even staionary. And the his as you operate the steering is most satisfying (at events etc.)

Last edited:

welldigger

There's a lot of guys who have deuces around you. Maybe one of them will offer assistance. I'd be more than happy to help if I wasn't at the furthest point in the state away from you.

HanksDeuce

Why don't you bring your deuce to the rally in Ponchatoula next April at Tim's house and we can put the power steering kit on your truck there? Plenty of gear heads there. I'll pitch in!

I have the Waterloo power steering kit on my deuce so I know how to install it.

Dipstick

I have the Waterloo kit on my bobber. It works like a champ, but it does cut down on how far I can turn the wheels to the right. The outside edge of my driver's side tire rubs the steering arm on hard right turns. I do run 11R-20s though. Might not interfere with the stock NDTs.

Dipstick

If it only does it one direction, and you can't turn as far to the right then you have something misadjusted.
It's not mis-adjusted Sinker, it's just the fact that the hydraulic steering box and it's arm mount outside the frame. So the outer surface of the steering arm sticks out about five inches or so from the frame. The steering arm has a bend in it and would probably clear 20" NDTs, but my 11R-20s are 3" larger in diameter and the tire rubs just above the bend. I think I'm going to grind a 1/4" relief notch in it. There's enough steel there to safely turn a small ship's rudder in heavy seas. :lol:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cattlerepairman

That link was pretty cool.

I'll bite, how did you do it?
Just go to www.lmgtfy.com (L et M e G oogle T hat F or You - LMGTFY) and go through the paces. The web site produces a link for this particular search that you can share. The site is meant for the passive-aggressive people that do a search in order to stick it to someone that they could have done that themselves, so it is a little dicey to use it as a help tool. People may be offended...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
If it only does it one direction, and you can't turn as far to the right then you have something misadjusted.
no, that is normal and really depends on wheel offset. there are now so many wheels used other than stock, but the solution is to adjust the right steering stop a little. you really don't loose much so you will not notice it. i used m135 wheels on mine as they have 1 inch more offset so it clears by an inch.

saddamsnightmare

December 17th, 2014.

And you can get an Air-O-Matic steering kit for it that is just about as good as a hydraulic system, and it was engineered for the truck! I put one on my M35A2 in the icon, but a gent in Texas is getting the benefit of both the truck and steering unit, plus new tires....... For less then the hydraulic kit above!:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks