• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce PTO Drive Install

machinist75

I'm going to install my winch on my Deuce in the next couple of days and need some advice on the pto. Is it just a matter of bolting it up and calling it done, or like everything else in life is it more complicated. I know when you putting in new rear end gears the have to be shimmed for backlash and what not. If anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

AceHigh

More complicated. It is shimmed with gaskets, but they are available at truck supply outlets. Put it in place, bolt it down and check for gear binding. Remove, repeat as needed.

Capt.Marion

Last edited by a moderator:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is all but impossible to check the backlash per the TM with the trans in the truck. There's no room to get a dial indicator in there between the PTO and the frame. I always just do mine by feel. Remember, it's better to be a little too loose than too tight.

Bill W

just did mine when I swapped trannies.
Like M16ty stated, I also do mine by feel. I've done three in the last 15yrs this way ( 2 fuel trucks and one M-37 ) and they're all still running fine today.
I took the tranny top off and the pto cover, I inserted a screwdriver so I could keep the pto drive/input gear from moving, from there I "felt" for very slight back lash on the tranny counter gear. For what its worth, on mine I needed one cork ( from the m-35 tranny gasket set ) and one paper gasket ( from my M-37 pto gasket set ) to set the lash.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

For what its worth, on mine I needed one cork ( from the m-35 tranny gasket set ) and one paper gasket ( from my M-37 pto gasket set ) to set the lash.

I just have to correct this statement. You never use a "cork" gasket to set backlash. That is only used for the stamped steel cover. All backlash adjustments must be done with the "paper" gaskets. Cork over time will shrink and cause problems besides leaking.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

tobyS

The Chelsea PTO for the five ton (939) comes with a single fiber gasket that seems to be the perfect thickness from the start. Is there a fiber one for the deuce available? I second what Rusty said about cork. (edit...fiber may not be the right word, it might be an asbestos replacement.)

Last edited:

rustystud

Fel-Pro #55380 is one but I don't remember the thickness of that number. Last time I did it I used one thick and one thin gasket and used a light coat of High-tack spray. Found this looks like there might be three 55380,55379, 55372 in different thickness. Believe the 380 is the thick one. https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/.../5f5c9ef65798/1988/chevrolet/k2500-pickup-4wd
Thanks for looking up those gaskets ! I'll be making a trip down to Oreillys this week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks