• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce repair after scrappers got to it.

Jeepsinker

Weld up the hole in the oil pan. No reason to throw it away, and if you are good or know someone who is, it can be done without removal. And get it running! We want to know if it lives!

InfiniteFoamies

I can weld, but um...where did a hole on the oil pan come from?

Also going back to the air affecting my brakes... I have my rusted solid master cylinder out of the truck so I'm not worrying about the air yet.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
now it has a hole in the oil pan??? it so it might not have any oil in it! as to the "bad" head gasket, that could mean anything from oil seepage, to completely failed.

F18hornetM

oh boy hole in hole pan? I think I'd look into that before I worked on the air portion of the brakes. Could be damage from a fork lift or some metal pieces being slung around. But I think before I looked at other stuff I'd address the engine issues, Just saying.

InfiniteFoamies

No I think I was just reading a different thread right before this one very late at night or something. Sorry for the confusion.
Makes sense. I do not have a hole in my oil pan guys ;) I have around 10qts of oil(very low estimation, it just registers on dipstick) but I assume these all leak oil and it has been sitting for a few years.

Did not get a chance to wrench on her today, Got to spend some well deserved time with the GF. Her parents do not let her out much :(

Last edited:

InfiniteFoamies

Keep us posted if you end up getting it to turn over. Have you checked the fuel condition in the tank? Or is it empty?
The tank was stolen. Hopefully picking it and the rest of the parts up today. Not sure if I will get a chance to try turning it over today or tomorrow so don't be dissapointed. I am even busier when I am home from school apparently.

m35a2cowner

If your going to check the compression just pull the injectors. Motor won't "hydro-lock" or start and you can look at what comes out of the cylinders and that will give you an idea where to look if leaking head gasket. You can use the starter too, less manual labor and you can see if there is an oil pressure as well w/o stressing the bearings with compression. Might also be able to pressurize each cylinder and see if there is any pressure/bubbles in the radiator.

InfiniteFoamies

If your going to check the compression just pull the injectors. Motor won't "hydro-lock" or start and you can look at what comes out of the cylinders and that will give you an idea where to look if leaking head gasket. You can use the starter too, less manual labor and you can see if there is an oil pressure as well w/o stressing the bearings with compression. Might also be able to pressurize each cylinder and see if there is any pressure/bubbles in the radiator.
It is in a serious state of disrepair. The starter system currently does not work, radiator is empty and gauges were cut out.

Update: Got the gauges, fire extinguisher, headlights, fuel tank, and other assorted pieces back last tuesday!

Have not had time to wrench but will let everyone know what I find.

InfiniteFoamies

Correct. Before I owned it, It was being stored at a yard by a friend of the previous owner. He was considering scrapping it because he did not want to get involved in changing a head gasket(not sure why?) and the yard owner had some of his workers start taking parts off it. When I went to buy it the previous owner found out and got super pissed and some how managed to get the yard owner to give the parts back and transport the Deuce on a trailer to my house for free.

welldigger

Correct. Before I owned it, It was being stored at a yard by a friend of the previous owner. He was considering scrapping it because he did not want to get involved in changing a head gasket(not sure why?) and the yard owner had some of his workers start taking parts off it. When I went to buy it the previous owner found out and got super pissed and some how managed to get the yard owner to give the parts back and transport the Deuce on a trailer to my house for free.
Man your lucky you got the parts back. The good news is now you have a giant lego set to play with!!

Jeepsinker

See, now we know the whole story. That's pretty awesome. Usually when parts are taken at a scrap yard there is no getting them "back". I was just curious as to the nature of what exactly led to that.

InfiniteFoamies

Sorry, did not realise anyone would care. according to my guages this deuce has 26xxx miles and 18xx hours (x's because I forget those numbers), the previous owner bought the truck when it had 2000 miles on it and the difference was put on by the yard owner without the owners permission...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks