• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce road tractor conversion

RAYZER

Another Ga Rally in the log book, 900 miles round trip pulling the Taj!
At the swapmeet I picked up these seats with adapters to fit the springer bases ($150.00)and installed them before I left on the trip back, what a big difference these seats make for comfort level!
Also, if you've been watching the SSGR 2014 info thread or you were there, you know she got some new head gaskets installed at the rally in the field under a shade tree!
Here's the story:
I noticed the slight tic sound in the top end (only at idle) for a long time that we determined to be a small exsaust leak, the tic sound changed and got louder right before I left on the trip.
Pulling the rear valve cover to look and feel around revealed nothing so I put it back together and took off.
She ran fine at 55 with Temps and pressures normal.
About 70 miles from home I pulled over at a rest stop, got out and looked underneath and WTH?
Black fuel dripping off the entire bottom of the truck!
Thinking the worse I lifted the hood to have a look, a big mess!
Checked oil fine, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant, but a distinct compression leak puffing out from between the two heads!
So every squirt of black fuel from the injector into the #3 cylinder was being compressed right out, needless to say that cylinder wasn't fireing.
What now? go home? I was already committed so GR or bust!
I was pretty sure I would make it runnng on 5 cylinders for the remaining near 400 miles so I decided to go for it, was down on power some taking off and pulling hills but easealy capable of 55 on flat ground, ran supprisngly well on 5 cylinders!
So, made it there no problem,
First thing degrease the engine then find a shade tree and start the teardown.
The head gasket set that was on its way arrived incomplete, it was missing exsaust and intake gaskets along with water manifold gaskets,very important!
The special head nut wrench with some missalanious gaskets that were on their way showed up and presto, all the missing gaskets I needed he had! What are the chances?
Got it apart and back together with some expert help in time for a shakedown cruise in the hardball convoy on saterday morning!
She runs much better now!uploadfromtaptalk1413373416261.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413373450721.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413373474160.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413373574394.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413373574394.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413373524986.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413373524986.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413373647635.jpg
Pulled this bridge in Jax on 5 cylinders, i was nervous!

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been there I just finished mine last weekend. I am charging my batteries right now so I can cycle the fuel. I was able to get my head bolts torque to 147 FPT; however, the TM said 157 FPT. I broke my Torque wrench getting it as high as I did. I also want to adjust my valves just in case, even know that I do not mess with them or change them. It was a hard job and I am glad to see that you were able to get yours done. It sounds like it happened in the best of places.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you had some good help with the project and that makes it easier to not forget important stuff! Good job Ray and crew!

And thanks for putting me up in the Taj Thursday night.:beer:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like the fifth wheel cover Ray. You don't have to worry about the lock mechanism getting full of dirt or mud. Did you make that?

RAYZER

I really like the fifth wheel cover Ray. You don't have to worry about the lock mechanism getting full of dirt or mud. Did you make that?
Thanks Ray! I made that out of heavy canvas,
It works well, keeping the dirt off the plate is a real time saver when hooking up!
I'll post a better pic later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks