• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce + Shelter = Camper RV

rmgill

yellobronc said:
I have not decided on weather I will be adding the heater or not, Carbon Monoxide scares me a little. The shelter is VERY insulated, Im not sure there will be a huge problem with cold that could not be overcome by preheating it with a portable heater prior to turning in for the night.
I've been noodling this sort of thing around myself.

Idea's I've had for my back burner project.

1. Heat the shelter with a Diesel Burning heater and it's own battery power supply AND with a hot water heater radiator from the truck engine for pre-heating.
2. 24 volt battery system charged from the truck's alternator for extra endurance on the power systems. You'll need a battery isolator system to prevent draining the truck's batteries.
3. A set of solar panels on the roof for maintaining charges of the truck batteries
4. Shore power inlets for 208/110 and 24 volt power.
5. A short water tank on the roof for potable water and pressure with a larger tank low down for a main water tank. Use a pump to intermittantly pump water to the roof mounted tank.
6. A low mounted grey water tank that can be drained easily
7. A cartridge toilet for doing business.
8. Make the system detachable from the truck with quick disconnects for Water, fuel and power to minimize the work to remove the shelter. With perhaps the ability to set it up for ground operation. A tow behind trailer with the necessary generator set, additional water tank and other materials would be VERY handy.
9 Adding a tent that hangs off the side and expands the amount of living space would work well, especially if you can dismount the shelter with a dump bed and winch combination in the field without a crane.

Gravity fed water system, thats a good Idea! Use black external tank and you have warm water too. Im really feeling this one. EDIT 5-17-09: Ended up with the tank under bed, Ended up being easier for the moment, Still like the gravity Idea though.

My plans for this unit are tenatively as follows;
Keep shelter easily removeable (mount water tank on shelter, gray drain easily disconnectable)EDIT 5-17-09: Have to cut the drain and dig for the bed bolts if I dismount it, no need to take it off unless I get a different truck I want to mount it to. If that happens, the slight inconvienance to take it off will be worth it since I have put so many hours into the build.

Portable water heater, Zodi on demand etc. EDIT 5-17-09:WORKS GREAT!! see pics in later threads.
Portable Stove mounted semi permanent EDIT 5-17-09: found cool little 3 burner permanent mount 3 burner stove. Works great.
Permanent mount Sink
ARB or Norcold 12V Refer/Fridge removable for my other off road uses
Cartridge system (porta Potti) EDIT 5-17-09: Can be placed outside or in M101 (Spare Bedroom, or supply room)
Shower basin that doubles as place for porta potti or storage. will have curtin.
Sleeping for 4, 2 adults, 2 kids. This means full to queen on one of the beds.
Simple lighting inside, MANY lights on outside.
Vents with Fans
Propane &CO2 alarms
12V system as RV components are readily available for 12V
24-12V converter for charging of camper batteries only. EDIT 5-17-09: research says this may not work.
Solar but will come later.
110 still in question as all will run on 12V, but I have generator so I will probably build at least 1 system in place for 110. EDIT 5-17-09: Will install inverter/charger from RV to make charging the batteries easier.

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice equipment rack inside! !! The truck might be a little tippy with that shelter once it's built out, but that goes with the territory. Note the final height for when you negotiate low bridges.

Getting closer on my layout: Minor changes only between the final two:

Water tank under the beds, possible shower using pan and curtin where the porta pottie is shown.

Beds are Full size, 2 on top, 2 on bottom plus floor space if needed. Still in the works is the cooler/ARB/Norcold for a refer. I would like to come up with some slick way to incorporate this into the program.

Also, 2 seats that would work with seatbelts in the back. I am going to look into some possible military seats that can be mounted.

Propane, batteries will be mounted on the exterior somewhere. Got windows from junked out RV's, bolted shelter to bed of duece will have picture updates later on these.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yellobronc said:
Only 11 feet 3 inches on vehicle, less than my civy Fifth Wheel, but still a good comment. Always have to pay attention to that one....Thanks!
Because of the crane, I have the vehicle height stenciled on the dash as a reminder.....should have a picture somewhere.....

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Personally I like "camper assy 12.jpg" best...I like the location of the table, but I'd make it one of those pull-outs in the event a table wasn't needed, but more space was. I'm sure that's on the plan though...right? Looks excellent over all and I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

IronViking

Hey yellobronc,
Most of that stuff you want for your Camper you can strip off an old cabover or Rv. You can prob. get it for free in Cali. Look in the Craigslist for your area. Look in the Free and Barter sections. People just junk their old Cabovers because of water damage and branches doing damage. Take what you need and dump/recycle the rest. I just put the camper on the back .I think its 12'8" with the A/C but I just put 13' Max height on my dash .
My truck came with those tie down eyes for the bed. DAMN IF i CAN GET THEM IN. Now that Ive seen pics of them on the truck Im just gonna have to try again.
Great project keep us informed. Heres apic of mine.

Attachments

Rebelpride

My vote is for 10.jpg. Also my 2cents, for the interior lighting I would use LED, low current draw and plenty of lighting. Like the idea of solar panel, and black tank for water.

No.2Diesel

Very cool project! What software are you using for your design ideas?

The only constructive thing I can add is that I would delete any shower/porta potty from the layout as its a big waste of space. Even in 40'+ RVs the shower and toilet are rarely used. There are products out there that turn a 5gal. pale into a sanitary device that allows the waste to be turned to a solid as well as being de-odorized and easily disposable.

It beats taking huge monster dumps in the woods or in some disgusting public restroom. :wink:

Using Solidworks for layout.

The Porta Potti Shower thing is a disposable idea. Especially since I already have the outside room for remote camping if I need it.

With 2 big beds, its pretty nice that I still have as much room as I do in the thing.

Planned on LED's since they are becomming very reasonable now.

Keep the votes and idesa comming, im really on the fence about the final 2 designs

100dollarman

YB- I have a 13' travel trailer that we pull behind the Jeep. It has everything. You may want to go look at the new trailers for sale on the lot to get ideas. One thing you might think about is making the lower bed a Bed/dining table-bench seats that can be easily converted back and forth. Mine has it that way and it works out very well. We use our shower and $hitter in the 13' trailer and also our 40' 5th wheel all the time.

tamangel

My vote would be for pic 10. You definitely want to keep your porta poddy away from the bed area, no matter how sealed it is, it may still emit odor which you don't want around your bed at night. You can build a box around the PP also that has a fold up top, therefore keeping it out of site during the day and providing more counter space.. There are many ideas as mentioned, check out a local RV show..

Mike

You can build a box around the PP also that has a fold up top, therefore keeping it out of site during the day and providing more counter space.. There are many ideas as mentioned, check out a local RV show..
That was the plan. My buddy has a Pop-up camper and his is basically like that. He uses the space where the PP would be for storage as well when he does not use that device.

I thought about the bed/table thing, the only problem I see with that is the head room since the shelter is just a hair over 6' on the inside, loos 24" from the top and you would be sitting in a closterphobic situation I think.

jeli

I'd scrap the toilet too or keep it inside during transport and move it outside once parked. You could make an expanded metal that hinges down off the outside to store stuff off the ground or put to toilet on. If you had a catch tray and hose to direct the water away you could also fashion a shower outside. A canvas side tarp would protect the stuff on in. You may also want to fashion a shelf off the front over the cab. You're black water tank could go up there and maybe a generator.

I jealous of you guys out west who have so many places to go offroading and camping.

I have 2 racks that were made to hang over the tailgate of an M35. I am thinking of modifying one and bolting it above the cab with a couple kickers to help support the weight. That would make use of the dead space over the cab.. I saw a picture of an extended tailgate on a duece but Cant find it now, I was considering doing something like that as well.

EDIT 5-17-09: Found Pic of extended tailgate, built Rack on back.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks