• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce + Shelter = Camper RV

n1vbn

I would if I were you wire the shelter for 110 volt AC preferably with a changeover switch from a M-109. The changeover switch changes from the truck 24 volt system to an outside power connection for commercial or generator power. The changeover switch has three positions 24 volt....all power OFF.....and 110 volt.

Reason...If you truck + RV has commercial power wired in permanently. It is one of the criteria the State DMV's use to determine if the vehicle is an RV. AKA an M-109 is registrable as a RV when it comes home.

Food for thought.

That is a very interesting comment. Camping world has the entire 12v/110v system prewired with an inverter for about $200. I have been torn on weather to do that or no since I probably dont need the 110 for the most part..... But....Putting in 110 is pretty easy and because of that, I probably will add it. I considering using jump start connection on the duece for the shelter since it is not hooked up in the duece anyhow and the shelter came with the matching plug to fit that receptical.
Definately leaning toward 12V & 110 in the shelter.

How did you secure that shelter in the bed of the truck? I might have missed that part, lol. I like the tailgate idea. A rack over the cab would be great to put supplies on. I hope your next vacation is a road less traveled.

-Richard

rmgill

yellobronc said:
That is a very interesting comment. Camping world has the entire 12v/110v system prewired with an inverter for about $200. I have been torn on weather to do that or no since I probably dont need the 110 for the most part..... But....Putting in 110 is pretty easy and because of that, I probably will add it. I considering using jump start connection on the duece for the shelter since it is not hooked up in the duece anyhow and the shelter came with the matching plug to fit that receptical.
Definately leaning toward 12V & 110 in the shelter.
There are 24 volt DC / 110 AC inverters out there so you could wire up the truck's electrical system with a DC-DC charger to charge a 24 volt battery bank and keep commonality with other 24 volt hardware on the truck.

rmgill

Seems like you could add some steps to that rear tailgate to make getting up there easier. I almost think you could get some additional panels and mount them on one side of the truck for yet another porch. Or use the roof. :)

JB

That is a great project. I have wanted a M109 for this reason. With whatever plan you use I would have a hinged deck under the bed on the floor to access space underneath rather than the door in front of the deck. It may get to the point that only your boy could get items in & out of that space. Additionally what type seats fro around table? Bench seats that fold down from the wall? Nice going.

Oh yeah if you have ever seen the beds like they have on subs & other navy ships the mattresses lift up to reveal a space @ 7-8 inches deep to keep clothes & etc. just a thought.

I have done a lot of wilderness camping here in Cali, yes it can get cold, but not so cold here on the central coast. This camping vehicle will probably see many occasions on the beach (At least until they close it to vehicles) EDIT 5-17-09, It does get cold sometimes!!!

Not sure yet on the seats, bench of the wall is what I am leaning towards, but one that fold off the wall so I can have additional floor space if I need it. EDIT 5-17-09: Coolers make Great seats!!

I plan on using normal be mattresses in the beds, my fifth wheel has the fold up bed and it really can be a pain, but I may still go that direction rather than the door.

Last edited:
Another Progress Report:

Bed in place, painting to come
Shelter Bolted to duece bed with 8 qty. 1/2" bolts
Window alum. will be painted OD green

I was able to get fold down table/benches from an RV that I may use (stacked on upper bunk) I also got 7 brand new RV lights from the same person I will be using rather than the LED's since I got them cheap.

Electrical and Plumbing will be coming after a little trim work and some painting.

And....the fun stuff begins...

Attachments

jpinst

I hope you really want to to that, because although it really looks cool,and I am envious of your project, if you are doing this because you are worried about needing a CDl you are wasting your time.

If you really think you are going to get cited for driving an M35 out of class, then I can not help you until you do, but this rig is not going to stop an overzealous cop. Bottom line--this lawyer spent the time to do his research and an M35 MV is not a commercial vehicle, and thus does not fall into the class of vehicles despite having three axles. In fact, making this rig into a camper, you might even be making a "3 axle house car less than 45 feet." - - which as you know needs an Non commercial CDL.

Anyway, don't let a police officer with 11 months in the academy tell you what the law is on anything, If you are not sure, ask a lawyer. I would not even suggest a CDL is not needed in CA for driving an M35 if I did not absolutely believe so, after doing several hours of book research. Anyway. Good luck. You have a nice new toy!

I was already sited for driving out of class in my M35. If you have information regarding this, please see the following link and reply as many would like to here the information you may have:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13887

EDIT: 5-17-09: Funny story, on the way to the beach for an evening camping trip, the same CHP officer who ticketed me previously, out of chancewalked up to the keyosk when I was paying for my night and asked "Did you finally get the correct license to drive this?" When I showed him the inside of the box, he said "looks cool" have fun!

ANOTHER NOTE: I purchased my M35 for the eventual Camper. The ticket I received just pushed me into doing it at someone elses schedule. I still would like to drive the duece without the shelter, but for this, I will BOB one eventually.

Last edited:
From the California Class C drivers handbook:

lIcense clAssesThis handbook assumes your inter-est is in a basic Class C license.With a valid Class C license -You may drive:- any 2-axle vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less.- any 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.- any housecar 40 feet or less.- a vanpool vehicle, designed to carry more than 10 but no more than 15 persons including the driver. The driver must have a valid medical certification on file with DMV and carry a valid medical card. The driver.

EDIT 5-17-09: Housecar certification is very easy to get and requires no outside inspection. Just paperwork.

Last edited:

rmgill

What exactly is a Non-Commercial CDL (Commercial Drivers License)?

Perhaps you mean Non-commercial Class A or Class B License?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks