• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce + Shelter = Camper RV

Numbers

Here is a trailer idea. Professionally done, but heavy duty/off road ready.

A lot in a small trailer.
Yes, that is one compact and efficient use of space. Looks like pop ups and pop outs. Too many questions for this thread. Do you have a link for the pictures ? I imagine this guy gives you more ideas for yours. Thanks for the recent updates on your site also.

m109guy

Yes, that is one compact and efficient use of space. Looks like pop ups and pop outs. Too many questions for this thread. Do you have a link for the pictures ? I imagine this guy gives you more ideas for yours. Thanks for the recent updates on your site also.
I actually found his site well after designing my truck, but it is neat to look at anyways. His trailer is probably worth more than my house.

MAXIMOG Trailer

srodocker

sweet do you have any constant running items? im going to put led lights but was thinking maybe a mini fridge. dunno ideas will come when i get the invoice and pick it up

sweet do you have any constant running items? im going to put led lights but was thinking maybe a mini fridge. dunno ideas will come when i get the invoice and pick it up
Have one of those cheapie wallmart 12v coolers, they seem to kill the batteries pretty quick. ARB, NORCOLD, etc cooler type fridges are the best. Pricey but work great because they are thermostat controlled and do not run all the time.

I have not checked to see how long my cheapie will run yet. That is in the works though.

Without any charging, I have run a trip for 4 days using a ARB type cooler and never had a problem using the golf cart batteries.

fcdrifter13

I know this thread is kind of old but it really catches my interest as I used to be in the RV industry. You may have already covered this but for all of your heating and cooling needs I would go with a propane setup, a lot cheaper in the long run than a gen setup and batteries and fairly cheap to get going. You can get a vented heating system from suburban from an old popup camper for fairly cheap along with its refer which runs off of propane, they can be switched over to run off of 24v with the proper boards from dinosaur electronics. The same with a pressurized water system.

Me and my girlfriend are looking to pick up a 109 to camper convert and most of my pieces are going to come from an RT series popup things like the integrated sink 25gal fresh 30 gal black/grey tanks and storage. The big thing for us is the tub/shower/toilet that we can get it is an all in one that takes up slightly more room than the unit you have but has the ability to used an on board storage tank

The Gimlis

If you have the room, a nice shower/bath combo set up is sooo nice.

(We get teased how we are "roughin' it" in the comfort of Army Bob - but hey, there is no law that says when you go camping you have to sleep on the ground, be stinky and eat canned food! Why not be comfortable, clean and be able to eat good! Filet mignon, anyone?!)

If you have the means and ability, a big advantage to making your own box is you can run all your electrical and plumbing in the walls out of sight. We also sank all tanks down as far as we could into the frame to keep the weight down low. It means cutting the floor, but gives you more room under the bed and benches for storage.

One advantage to using the shelter is you can take it out again if you set it up right.

I agree on the shower. I have not yet put a shower inside, but I have the outside shower. I have plans to cut the floor and use the bed as the shower pan in the future. I just have not had the time yet to do it.

My shelter has 2 full size beds in it and probably should have made those smaller and made more use out of the floor space as sleeping for the kids..

I definately will be working towards putting the shower inside....I had that basic concept in place when i built it as shown here.....

The curtin plan will be going away and and a couple alum. walls will go up. Very simple form....I did put a HUGE water tank in mine....I think I fill it up about every 5 or 6 trips...probably like 50 gallons or more. I think I get about 6 hot showers and 4 days of typical camp water use out of it.

So far I have not needed to heat the inside any more than the coffee pot does in the mornings. I do carry a small catalytic heater but have not needed yet.

One thing is for sure....the M109 offers a ton more space to work with than a shelter. I like my shelter idea, it works for me, but I may do an M109 in the future...What seems like a little extra width and lengh can make a huge deal in an RV. Just think about the difference between an 8' & 9.5' truck camper makes....its amazing!

Attachments

Last edited:

OverSizeHeavyHauler

Loved reading the forum. TONS of great ideas... you mentioned the 109 having a measurement of 9 1/2ft...legal width is 102" 8 1/2ft..
as far as the refer, i drive a truck, and the Black an Decker 2.7cu or even the 3.7cu from walmart with an inexpensive 1000w Cobra inverter shouldnt drain the batterys to the point the solar charger isnt capable of keepin up. I run a 1000watt just because the simple fact of the 880w couldnt handle the cycling of the compressor. And I keep mine set at Ft Wainwright Temp...I always have ice cubes in my reefer. The work youve done looks AMAZING!

For CDL requirements, Im not even goin there, as even with CVSA, FMCSA, and CSA 2010, all states have different regs. CHP are just regular lawdogs, your best bet is to swing into a Weigh Station and talk to a DOT officer, not a Hiway Patrol. Because ultimately the DOT is the final word. Not the Hiway Patrol.

So, anyways.... LOVED the pic. Utility Trailer has trailer interior LED lighting, as does NAPA, and their decently cheap, as forklifts an freight knock em off.

Keep up the good work.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yellowbronc thanks much for sharing these pics I just purchased an S-280 from a very nice fellow in MS it should be up to ND next week and my plans are similar to yours, and by the way you did some mighty fine work on this unit and have given me some very good ideas on how to do mine. Did you shelter come with AC units installed? The 280 I bought has TWO of them on the front of the shelter that hang over top of the cab, are these AC units usable? My plan would be to possibly keep one on there, remove the other one and mount a generator in its place? Any thoughts on that YB? Thanks again for posting your conversion pics and trust I will be looking a LOT more!
KK

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YB what do you know about thses AC Units I sure do not think I will ever need a backup for anything but if I kept one on are they usable for summer cooling, are they extremely noisy and bothersome? are they worth anything if I decide I dotn want either of them on the Shelter? As usual I have many more questions than anything resembling answers YB!
KK

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Eve YB I have a question on how you secured you 280 in the bed of your Deuce, I believe I saw the things that looked like they went in the bed pockets and then it looked like you cabled the 280 down to those devices, I am going to need those attachement points for my 280, may I ask where you got them from, Ilike I said I am going to need a set of them also YB, any assistance would sure be appreciated
KK

Good Eve YB I have a question on how you secured you 280 in the bed of your Deuce, I believe I saw the things that looked like they went in the bed pockets and then it looked like you cabled the 280 down to those devices, I am going to need those attachement points for my 280, may I ask where you got them from, Ilike I said I am going to need a set of them also YB, any assistance would sure be appreciated
KK
I bolted mine thru the bed with 8 bolts. Wanted to make it permanent. Those kits prb hard to find but may be out there on internet. Also on my rig would interfere wit the windows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks