• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce + Shelter = Camper RV

sierra117

If your looking for a place for a generator under the bed might be a good place to start seen photos of another member that had done this he had also put a fuel cell for the generator and few batteries there as well

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KK,
The S-280 tie down brackets are available from Ontario Surplus. A couple of years ago, they were $30 plus shipping for a pair. Do a search for Ontario Surplus here on SS to find their contact info.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost got this one done. I am a bit concerned about the comment to put the genset under the trailer. Could cause some carbon monoxide issues when using the a/c unit at night, or having a vent open.

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Afternoon YB I have a question for you concerning the AC units on my 280? It si my understanding that before they go to GL all the freon is evacuated out of them, is this true? the other question I have is are these units capable of both providing cooling AND heating for the inside of the shelter? Sorry if this is a stupid question AND yes I DO need to read the TMs on this unit YB. Thanks for the bolt in info I am going to mount my 280 in that manner also!
Talk more soon
KK

armytruck63

I share pctrans' concerns about the possibility of CO poisoning. I have a friend who's kids had to spend time in a hyperbaric chamber at a hospital in San Diego after carbon monoxide poisoning in a motorhome. Their grandmother had accidentally squashed the generator exhaust pipe going up a steep driveway in a shopping center. They later pulled into a rest area started up the generator and A/C.

The next morning somone noticed the 13 year old boy stumbling around the parking lot. They figured out that he came from the motorhome and found everyone passed out inside. The two littlest kids were in the worst shape because they breathe faster in their sleep. The three kids were flown by helicopter to San Diego.

It was touch and go for a while, but after the hyperbaric treatment, everyone was OK with no apparent lasting effects.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KK,
Yes, all CFC's must be removed before they are sold. it's done either by the unit, or by DRMO before GL can touch them. See 40 CFR 82.156(f) for details.

skidder

Great job,well done, This is ny next project a gentleman down the road gave me a 1ton slide in cabover camper the one thats goes on a dually, its self contain an sits on my 105 trailor now.its old but water tight an needs a good cleaning. Iam thinking on gutting it an building something on the 105. something under the canvas of the 105,an not tie up the duce

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yellobronc that is a good lookin camper you have built, I am working on converting an S-280 into a camper and of course it to is in the back of a Deuce! Nicely done!
KK

m242brushmaster1

I saw a communications shelter in the weeds on day while driving. I thought that would make a good camper for the back of my deuce. So I talked to the owner, and he said that he would sell it to me for $700. Im not sure how much one of those is worth or even what kind it is. I only have this one picture.

Attachments

mightymanx

I saw a communications shelter in the weeds on day while driving. I thought that would make a good camper for the back of my deuce. So I talked to the owner, and he said that he would sell it to me for $700. Im not sure how much one of those is worth or even what kind it is. I only have this one picture.

I would pay $1000 for one that is structuraly sound and not rotted out.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m242brushmaster1, that looks like an S-280 shelter. If it's in good shape, $700 is a steal! If empty, it should weigh about 1400 pounds, and comes complete with two inches of foam insulation between the walls. It is easy to check on the overall soundness - open the door and see if there is water inside. If there are no holes cut in the outside and no water inside you are good to go. Here is a pdf on the shelter.

Attachments

philjafo

Small safety note on co alarms check the ppm rating on the back some won't respond till reading 400 ppm for 15 minutes. 100 ppm can be lethel to young healthy adults and over 30 is enough to make you sick and prolonged exposure to low levels can cause things like brain damage, less then 10 ppm is considered acceptable backround levels from unvented stuff like stove tops and those catalitic heaters. Ppm stands for parts per million and the smaller the space the faster those levels can rise, ofcourse smokers purposely inhale carbonmonoxide about 20 times a day so they already have a headstart on co poisining. If you have any doubts get ahold of a reputable heating and cooling company to check for co levels

tomfoon1

what I really need to know is the ground to bed height on the deuce with super singles. I am buying my first deuce and a camper for a trip to Alaska...Need to know if a standard truck camper will work or if its over the 13.6 limit?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks