• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Skid Plates

Heath_h49008

Odd idea... and this may be silly... but I seem to remember seeing a set of unsprung rollers on a skidplate structure used to assist with high centering on an APC. (Russian I think) I can't for the life of me remember what type to find a picture.

We don't rock-crawl around these parts... the last ice age turned our rocks into gravel, morraines, eskers and drumlins.... But I have always loved seeing the rigs you folks out west build for the task.

I look forward to reading what you come up with.

bill2444

I wan't to add a skidplate from the front bumper back past the leading edge of the oil pan. I saw one like this on our countys DNR fire deuce. They used there deuce for pushing over and thru trees to make trails thru the woods for the other trucks to get in.
But first I have to get a front winch before i work out the rest of the details.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to add a skidplate from the front bumper back past the leading edge of the oil pan. I saw one like this on our county's DNR fire deuce. They used there deuce for pushing over and thru trees to make trails thru the woods for the other trucks to get in.
But first I have to get a front winch before i work out the rest of the details.
Would be nice to have some Oil Pan protection up front. Do you have any pictures of the Fire Truck solution?

treeguy

Jesusgatos,
WOW - as usual great creative thinking! That is a great idea. Could you keep us informed?
What would you use for the bottom plate that bears the pulling load? (1/2"? 4140 steel?) I think that the bottom plate might have to be a bit larger in size to accomodate an adequet hole diameter for the socket used on those nuts. I'd bet there are many other spots under the deuce that a similar design could be utilized.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Thanks guys, but this is nothing new. Not an original idea is what I mean.

The way it's designed right now, the bottom skidplate is 3/4" and has 1 1/2" diameter holes in it, which is a little bit larger than the socket I have, but I need to take a measurement of an impact socket to figure out what the final dimensions need to be. The rest of the plates are all 1/2" and I think I might beef-up the top plattes (that the bolts pass through) to 3/4". Probably way overkill, but this is one of those places where I really wouldn't want anything to fail.

Going to start working on oilpan protection as soon as I get the engine installed and the new winch mounts made.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Just finished designing a new set of leafspring mounts and skidplates for the front axle. Eliminates the U-bolts (using four 3/4 x 8.5" bolts instead), which improves ground clearance considerably. Angle is adjusted for flipped leafspring perches (increasing caster). Going to make a pair and see how they work. After testing, if anybody wants a pair, will be able to make more. No idea what they might cost yet. Nothing is finalized, just wanted to share.

Attachments

Kohburn

oooh 10 lug versions... will it be a hub step that you can wind a steel cable around to use the front axle as a self recovery winch?

DeucesWild11

I just bought a 1973 Wain Roy backhoe, when I looked under the engine it has a big cast iron grate under the engine that's angled to protect the bottom of the oil pan and such. I'll try to take a pic, maybe that will give you guys some ideas. It almost looks like a grate from a fireplace. That's a pretty good idea too if you have some welding skills!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks