• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce snow plow?

66Reo6X6

Recently bought a 66 Reo 2 1/2 ton 6x6 and an old highway department V-plow. The plow and mounts weigh 2000# From reading other threads on this topic it sounds like I need a 5ton to handle that much weight. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help, Jerry

Westech

CPL
well the tires are the big problem.. if you switch to a 11:00 tire you should be fine.. but the stock 9:00 are almost maxed out stock and with a winch there at max. The springs and axles should take it fine. Only other thing is you have no power steering unless you add a air kit.. plowing snow with no power steering at 2K pounds up front might and will SUCK.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here are some previous threads where we discussed deuces and 5 tons with snow plows. A couple of these run for several pages with good discussions on all the issues of Military 6x6's and plows.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/43266-plowzilla.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/41845-anybody-mount-snow-plow-their-deuce.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/20417-snowplow.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/16426-need-opinons.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/7759-snow-plows.html

The search function here is your best friend. Whatever question you may have has probably been answered in great detail.

Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - Search Forums

Nonotagain

Recently bought a 66 Reo 2 1/2 ton 6x6 and an old highway department V-plow. The plow and mounts weigh 2000# From reading other threads on this topic it sounds like I need a 5ton to handle that much weight. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help, Jerry
Other than the lack of power steering, I don't see an issue of mounting a plow on the front of a Deuce.

Around here in Maryland, the majority of the MDOT trucks are single axle dumps. Lots of older single axle 1700-1800 series Internationals floating around with plows.

You need to use a load equalizing type mount so that the load is transmitted to the frame behind the front axle and not just bolted to the front bumper.

66Reo6X6

A big thank you to all who have responded to my question. Yes duals on the front would look cool but without PS it might be tough to steer. Will check out the other threads that are mentioned.

tm america

no power steering will be issue .probably not as bad as you think since when plowing the truck will be on snow making it easier to steer.and half the time you are plowing the blade will be on the ground instead of hanging from the front of the truck,the closer you can mount it to the truck the less levelerage it will put on the front springs .but i would add power steering if i was gonna do it get some better tires on there like maybe some 14.5s :roll:

Would have to agree with posts regarding air assist steering. Wish I had it on my deuce. I had a 12ft. state highway plow but found it to be way too much for my liking. Traded a guy for a 9ft. straight plow and find it much more easy on me and my running gear. Still need weight in the bed and would like to try chains at all 4 corners. Was given a giant rubber strip to add to the bottom of the plow by a fellow SS member.(Thanks Jason). Now I have a 14,000lb. squeegee!
I also am currently running stock 9.00x20 ndt's. Did ok in the 2ft. snow we got two weeks ago but will switch to 11.00X20 soon.
Actionfigure out.

emr

I would just do 1100s in the front and keep em at close to max air untill i figured out my best steering, and run the 900s in the rear at 30 to 35 lbs for all the traction, u should need in normal plowing...U may find with the 1100s in the front U can run pretty low air and have good steering...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would NOT run two different size tires, that is a lot of gear difference between 1100s and 900s

SasquatchSanta

Have you diven the truck yet on a cold morning?

I fear that with or without a plow you're going to have your hands full on cold NoDak mornings without power steering.

My M37 is giving me lots of problems because of hard steering on cold mornings.

Good Luck.

emr

I have run the 1100s in front of one of my deuces and 900s in the rear with a sprag for a few years, I really do not think it is that much of a problem,And would be less of a problem with an air shift , in fact it releaved alot of stress on the front end i believe and feel when in multi wheel drive there is way more than enough slip for there ever to be a problem, I have encountered none, and no noticable feelings in the truck when 6 wheelin either. just an fyi, from doing it, on paper it may be bad, but i think it is fine, but thats my opinion in my truck....:-D

greenjeepster

That's what I was thinking, too. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
The larger tire on the front will mean that they are pulling farther per rotation than the rears.... which from a traction standpoint is a good thing. Most 4x4 farm tractors are geared so the fronts spin at a faster rate than the rears.

Tire size causes problems when you go different sizes side to side... On snow when plowing this will not be an issue.

Reactions: emr

chicklin

The larger tire on the front will mean that they are pulling farther per rotation than the rears.... which from a traction standpoint is a good thing. Most 4x4 farm tractors are geared so the fronts spin at a faster rate than the rears.

Tire size causes problems when you go different sizes side to side... On snow when plowing this will not be an issue.
Wont it cause the rears to bind in the transfer case which would then cause them to skid? What about when you go in reverse?

On snow or mud, I could see how there would be enough slip for it not to matter, but on dry pavement, I would think it would be bad news.

greenjeepster

The numbers 9.00 and 11.00 are in reference to tire width, not height. The difference between the two around is only about 2 inches. All it means is that the front tires will turn 2 inches farther than the rears...the gearing is strong enough that it will force the extra 2 inches..... the front tires will be the ones that the extra two inches comes out of because you have less traction on two tires than on the other 8.....So the other 8 will hold true to the gearing and the front two will spin farther.

On dry pavement it will wear on the front differential if it was the weakest link, but the rubber of the tire is the weakest link so that is where the wear will happen.

Plowing snow you are not driving on dry pavement so it will not matter..... when he is driving on dry pavement the truck most likely will not be in 6x6 anyway.

The pull of the larger front tire will provide for slightly better steering.

chicklin

The numbers 9.00 and 11.00 are in reference to tire width, not height. The difference between the two around is only about 2 inches. All it means is that the front tires will turn 2 inches farther than the rears...the gearing is strong enough that it will force the extra 2 inches..... the front tires will be the ones that the extra two inches comes out of because you have less traction on two tires than on the other 8.....So the other 8 will hold true to the gearing and the front two will spin farther.

On dry pavement it will wear on the front differential if it was the weakest link, but the rubber of the tire is the weakest link so that is where the wear will happen.

Plowing snow you are not driving on dry pavement so it will not matter..... when he is driving on dry pavement the truck most likely will not be in 6x6 anyway.

The pull of the larger front tire will provide for slightly better steering.
Understood, it just seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

As far as the measurements, my understanding is that 9.00 or 11.00 is generally referred to as the sidewall height of the tire. These tires are assumed to have a 100% aspect ratio, so it also happens to be the width.

A 9.00 x 20 tire would be 38 inches tall. An 11.00 x 20 would be 42 inches, so it would be a 4 inch difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks