• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire/rim break down.

toddm

We had a flat on one of our dump trucks at work. Needless to say that truck hauls lots of salt and the tire hasn't been off the rim for a long time. It was very difficult to finally get the tire separated from the rim. We finally got it but it required a lot of work. When we put it back together, we put grease on the inside of the rim after wire wheeling it clean again. Hopefully we won't have to do that again soon.

rmgill

Be sure, when working on these rims to at least wire wheel the rim and the ring to clean any rust off and to clean them up a bit. If you really want to be detail oriented, give it a shot of primer/sealer to minimize rusting.

Scrounger

Split rings aren’t hard to put back together, just takes a few things to remember. And no I don’t have pictures. First as already posted install the tube in the tire and inflate enough to keep in the tire, I like to have just enough so I can get the tube flap in without trouble. When reinstalling the ring the split in the ring should line up opposite the valve stem. A tire stand comes in handy that will keep the wheel just of the ground; however a short stump or drywall bucket works also. And when installing the same tire back on the same wheel try to install the same sides back together, I use a soap stone to mark the tire. There is a certain amount of stretch and it is easier to put it back on the way it came off. Sometimes one can hook the end of the ring in the groove and walk it around with a foot, sometime it takes a tire iron pressing down and walking around. Again it is just a thing of experience. If it was a perfect world everyone would have a tire cage, but if you don’t one can bolt it as a dual and the ring will be contained. A clip on air chuck with a long air line adds to the safety. The book says to replace the tube when replacing with a new tire. I just look at the tube and if it looks ok I reuse it. The book also says to leave the valve stem core out when inflating in case there is a problem and to deflate the tire after inflating to allow creases out of the tube. I don’t bother with either of those things. First off I check the tube for creases before putting the wheel together and I can always just disconnect the air line if I have to deflate the tire.
Now for the disclaimer. I have taken more than a few of these things apart and don’t ever worry about them. However if one doesn’t feel comfortable working on split ring wheels don’t hesitate to pay someone to do it for you. It just isn’t worth your life.

emr

[thumbzup] Very Very Good Thread!!!We all start somewhere :shock: I remember when i first joind the hobby and a friend called and said he was painting an M35 , My son was about 7ish, when i told him he said Dad, whats anM35, I said i don't know maybe a tank!!! along time ago.....Very nice set of pictures in good order, easy to follow...Randy

beaubeau

That is a great pic series for changing tires, good job!! There are special Tire Bars made for easier Dissassembly.But like you, anything works!! A word of Safety, When putting air in a Split Rim, like these, never stand over the Ring. U should actually secure the whole wheel in between 2 hard objects" There are Tire Cages made for this purpose", because at times that ring does not Lock right and when it comes apart, it can and Has taken someones head off. For safety sakes always remember, That ring does NOT always lock in. Also, when reassembling the tires to the wheel, it's good to use Greese on the rim! Tire goes on easier and prevents Rust.
While in Viet Nam I would watch these little Vietnamese people change tires on 5tons and Deuces. They did it all day long! I just could not change tires all day for a living!!! Good Luck, Phil

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where I can get that funky valve core tool and some wedges like those? The guys at AutoZone just stare at me funny....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mike the wedges are just scrap steel I had laying around. If the guys at crapyzone don't know what you want, go to a bicycle shop and ask for a valve core tool.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The wedges I have no clue on, but if you find a good parts house like a big Napa that has Lisle tools, they will have several different tire valve core tools like that.

CGarbee

The wedges I use came out of the back of one of Scrounger's truck after he gave me a demonstration in their use. :D

He swapped out a tire on my MKT-85 when I picked it up from his place (he had snagged it from the GL yard for me...) and did the job in less than half the time it takes me and didn't sweat near as much... :)

This is a good thread...

rdixiemiller

When Clinto gets ready to do some tires, I guess I will go help him. I loaned him my slide hammer bead breaker and lock ring tool. I've done my share of them over the years, I'll just have to go over and "supervise".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reckon I'll be out fetching steel so fab wedges here soon. Devilman96, got any 4" angle iron?

Rattlehead

Gimpy, is that 1/4" angle iron? I assume that you pre-flattened it somewhat before use?

Breaking the bead is by far the hardest part of changing these tires, especially when they have been on there for ??????????? My first experience was doing 7 of my deuce tires in the middle of the summer, whew!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The small ones are 1/4, the wide ones are 3/16ths. I have been thinking of welding a "web" (or brace) inside the V because as they flatten out they become useless. So no, I do not reccomend flatening them before hand at all.

patch

tire tools

emmado- How bout a photo of the slide hammer? I remember it well from my time in the motor pool and as I recall it worked fine then too(almost 30 years ago now!) Anyone handy with a welder could whip one up in a couple hours I'd guess, with a few photos as a guide. And using it will give you a heck of a workout....earplugs recommended!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks