• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire/rim break down.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: tire tools

I can honestly say that I haven't used one before, but it looks like there is very little "throw" on those. How much movement is there? Its still hard to see me spend that kind of money when angle iron is so cheap and available. The up side is I bet I would never miss the angle iron and ding the lock ring.

FormerNewMVGuy

I have a slide hammer, and it works very well! But i ussually put the pallet forks on my loader , put the one fork up against the rim and apply some down pressure,and they ussually pop right down with out me so much as breaking a sweat!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You can get about 20-30" of sliding motion with the slide hammer. Depending on design, some of them can pinch your hand if it slides down the handle.No missing where you meant to hit either. They work well and are not as much of a "back breaker" as using a "duckbill" tire hammer. Next time the need arises, I think I'll try the angle iron method. It's good to know multiple languages.

oilcan

I normally use a hi lift jack, but it doesn't always work with a stubborn tire. There's a piece of 3/16" plate in the garage that's slowly taking the shape of the bead breaker on a tire machine, but it still needs a little work. The plate will be bolted to the base of the hi lift.

I need to find some angle iron until that contraption gets the bugs worked out of it. The only problem is I'm completely inept when it comes to swinging a hammer.

gimpyrobb

Hell, at least I had company! Most of the time when you say "breakdown a tire/rim" You'd have thought someone yelled grenade! Somethings are just brutal to do. In my oppinion changing tires are one of them. Again, I had a GREAT time at the rally and I am glad I got to meet you and the other guys.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor

i tried the angle iron trick today, it is a heck of a good idea!!! one addition i did was i used a smaller 2x2 peice of angle, i think it was 3/16" for the initial hit. the thick stuff i had wouldnt go under the ring until it had somewhat of a gap to fit into.
heres a question, anbody got any good ideas for squashing a tire to get the ring back into place?? im swapping over some 1100-20s i have. they are all currently on rims holding air. im 345 lbs and i couldnt get the tires to budge while i was jumping on it. it would go down in one spot if i concentrated my weight to it, but would come right back up. theres no valve core in the tube either and nothing is in the way.

joec

Mike did you block the rim up so the tire is off the ground? That will let it sag down some so you can get the ring on.

gimpyrobb

Mike, are you trying to get the ring on or off? I have just set the ring on the rim and then stepped on the ring to get it to drop into its "notch". Sometimes I have to stomp on the ring a little, but nothing worth THAT much of an effort. If the tires just came from another rim and were aired up, you could lay another tire on top of the one that the ring will not go on. That will help it smoosh down so the ring can go on easier(the next day). Hope what I typed is clear.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor

its not that cold here, but i suppose warmer would be better. i was trying to reassemble my tire rim combo, 1100-20 on a deuce 900-20 rim. i didnt use blocks but i did have the tire/wheel i was working on sitting on top of the 5 ton rim i took the tire off of. it was kinda hard to stand on top of that setup cause the rims would slide off of each other. i dont know if stomping on the ring would work in this situation, the bead is in the way and impeading the path of the ring. even breaking down the 1100-20 from the 5 ton rim was a bit of a challenge because of the bead being in the way, it made removing the ring alot harder than the ring on the 900-20 tire. i can get the ring to start back onto the rim but theres no room so to speak to work it into place. im going to try it again in a day or so since the tire has been sitting airless now. the old tire that came off my deuce rim would be a breeze to mount back up. the bead was well out of the way when i broke it down and it only took me about 5 mintues to completely dismount. too bad its too small LOL

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Emboldened by Gimpy's triumph, I decided to try my hand at it.

Breaking the bead? Fun. :roll:

Now, question:

I was very careful to remove the ring one bit at a time, but once out, I saw it was totally flat. I know it is supposed to have some curve to it..... should I reuse it or find another ring/wheel?

Thanks

Attachments

FormerNewMVGuy

Mudlord ,If you have a forklift or pallet forks, just space the forks so they are on the tire on each side of the rim and put a little pressure on it,That will do the trick!

gimpyrobb

Huh, I don't know. I have never seen that. I would imagine that its still good and that maybe the curve is to aid in removal? Lets see what everyone else says. Would the PS mag at the top cover this?

FreightTrain

Banned
On the deuce I got from Joe Young several years ago(Most of the tires are still on it from when he sold it!),some of the valve stem caps had the core tool built in.Wish I could find a box of them.Kinda handy when you wanna dump the air real quick if the tire has a problem and you don't want to be around it long.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! Be careful not to pinch your hand, if you hold down too low on the bar.

gimpyrobb

I just had that sitting around. I plan on making a stop, and getting some tube that will go on the outside of it. Good point though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks