• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire/rim break down.

Dave911

OK, I've read this thread and looked at the tools.. I have a short tire hammer and I put some WD 40 around the rim of a 5 ton tire/wheel and I am able to pound the bead down but it is slow going and is some serious exercise. This tire has been on this rim for a long time and I have several tires to dismount.

As I am pounding away at this tire like Fred Flintstone ..... I am looking at my diesel powered air compressor and thinking that this is a job for a jackhammer... which I have...

Is there any reason "not" to use a jackhammer to break these beads??

I have a chisel bit and also an asphalt bit which is quite wide and dull so I don't think it will hurt the tire. This particular tire is junk anyway..

Dave

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet the jackhammer would work. Just be careful you don't damage the wheel.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HAHA! Thats using your grey matter. I think that would be great. As M16ty said careful of the rim and take video!

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be changing an entire set of deuce tires soon. I am thinking of using a hydraulic press, with the pressure on the tire spread out with a 2x3 plate of steel resting near the rim. Other than having to lift the weight of the wheel and tire about three feet, would this be a good method to break the bead?

My lazy side favors toward taking them all to a shop where guys experienced with truck tires would change the tires. My cheap side says save the money and do it myself.

armytruck63

My dad and I used an M37 to break the bead on some WWII jeep combat wheels by carefully running over the jeep tire with the front wheel of the M37.

Maybe something like this would work on a larger scale.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the bead is stuck/rusted really good to the rim you really need something to "wedge" between the tire and the wheel.

I'd be careful using a hyd press. You could build up alot of pressure and if something slips parts could go flying.

To be honest, short of a hyd bead breaker (or maybe a jackhammer ;-)), nothing works quite as good as a duckbill hammer if you have the back for it and can hit what you're aiming at.

Dave911

After some serious pounding ..... I put the 11x20 tire on hold since I had to put a new tube in a 7.50x16 front tractor wheel.

On the 7.50x16 I used a short duckbill tire wedge/hammer and drove that in with a 4 lb hand sledge. I think that holding the duck bill hammer/wedge with my left hand and driving it with another hammer works best. This tire was really rusted to the rim also and it took about 15 minutes to drive it down from the edge of the rim so I could get my tire irons on it and pull the one bead of the tire over the rim, remove and replace the tube, and then put it back on. I think a tire machine would have had a tough time getting that tire free also. I never took the wheel off the tractor which worked out ok. I used some "Pam" spray on cooking spray for lube. It is fairly cheap if you buy the big size cans at Sams or similar. I wonder if vegetable/corn oil can be sprayed in a windex type sprayer? That would be cheaper than Pam..

I almost got my compressor running to try out the jackhammer but the battery crapped out.. I'll try the jackhammer/compressor idea out and take some picts if it works out. I may have to modify a bit to make it work, but that is a one time deal.

What might also be effective is having one person hold a long handle duckbill hammer while a second person swings a 8 lb sledge at the back of it. That would take most of the risk out of hitting the rim/ring with the duckbill hammer itself.

I've got a long handle duckbill hammer on its way to me - via an ebay sale. But I am really hoping that the jackhammer works out..

I'll report back after I make further attempts ...

toddm

When I bought my Duece I changed all seven of my 11.00-20 XL's for 11.00-20 G177 Goodyears. The only problem was the Goodyears were mounted on five ton wheels. We had a slide hammer type bead breaker at work and I changed only two tires onto the truck each day I worked on it. Luckily there was no rust on either sets of rims I was working with. So after a few weeks I had all seven Goodyears dismounted from the five ton wheels and seven tires mounted onto my Duece in place of the XL's. I eventually bought two extra Duece wheels and mounted the two best XL's for extra spares, now I have three extra spare tires with me at all times. I also mounted and modified a small lift to pick up and unload tires or whatever from my truck. I had to cut it a bit shorter to fit under my cargo cover. The hand crank winch and pulleys I mounted work great. Lastly I have a set of air ride seats I am going to put in this summer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ord22

its always hard work. be careful when you air the tires, need to put the tires in a cage, just in case the split ring wants to fly off. i've seen it fly off and kill somebody. its well worth it in the end.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you don't have access to a cage, I use chains around the rim. Make sure you leave some slack, the tires grow when you air them up!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys you should refer to these wheels as lock ring wheels. Split ring wheels are a whole different animal. A truck tire shop will break down and mount lock ring wheels but I doubt you will find anybody to work on a split-ring wheel.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last picture is the ring that splits the wheel in half if you notice where the orange chalk is, it is concave thats what allows the wheel to be taken apart and put back together that little tiny lip is all that keeps that wheel from comming apart and cutting you in half and then going through a wall or two.

Dave911

Well I got around to more tire dismounting/mounting. I had a Mil trailer with 9x 20 tires and I got a flat. I also still had several 11x20's sitting around that needed work.

I finally got a real duckbill hammer, but the handle was junk so I replaced with a nice hickory handle derived from a Mattock handle. The handle was longer than normal which works perfectly as I am 6'2 and almost all handles feel too short.

Anyway I got some soapy water for lube and proceeded to try beating the 11x20 tire down from the lock ring.. No go.. I was going to try my jack hammer but I found I was missing a bit..

For some strange reason I had a gallon of corn oil in the garage .. I think it was in some vehicle I bought?? Anyway, I decided to try corn oil for lube, so I poured probably 2-3 cups (yes .. that is a lot of oil) around the lock ring and then called it a night.

A couple of days passed and I pulled out the duck bill hammer ... this time the tire moved. It pounded down with effort but at least it moved. Once I got the duck bill under the lock ring I used a 5 lb sledge to drive the duck bill down further. (Much safer than swinging that big hammer) I pulled the lock ring and removed the tire and it was evident that the oil had soaked down through the corrosion as it was actually on the tube in a few places behind the flap!

Tire #2 - a 9x20 which had been on a trailer for a long time - probably 20+ years but the tire was still like new.

More corn oil.. let it sit overnight. The tire slid right down with probably a dozen swings.

I put the 9x20 back together after patching the tube. I used my pressure washer to wash out the tire, the rim and ring and flap.
Wire brushed the rim and ring after it dried and sprayed the steel parts with rustoleum and let that dry.

Reassembled the tube and flap and put a little corn oil on the rim and flap to facilitate assembly.

In just a few minutes I had the ring snapped back on and aired up the tire after mounting the wheel with the ring facing the frame.

I'm sold on corn/veggie oil. I have uses Pam kitchen spray for years on rubber so the corn oil just made sense.

The nice thing about corn oil is that is is non destructive to rubber yet it is very slippery and apparently it penetrates very well also.

AlphaTread

I have taken apart quite a few of these wheels on a lot of 9.00x20 tires...Not a recomended rellaxing weekend activity! Two people = much faster and easier!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks