• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire/rim break down.

chicklin

Well, took me forever, but I finally got the lock ring off using my Hi-Lift and the front bumper. I think, having done it once, I can do it more easily next time.

However, I'm having a **** of a time getting the tire off of the rim. The Hi-Lift method doesn't work so well b/c the tire wants to flip over. I noticed on another thread that someone put the tire all the way under the bumper and braced one end of it up against the bumper with a 4x4. I may try and scrounge up some materials to do that. Anybody got any other tips? This thing is stuck tight/rusted.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is nothing wrong with that ring. That's how all of mine looked before airing them up. Just be safe airing it up.
Frodo could be right. I went back and took a closer look at the pics and it isn't as bad as I initally thought. I guess I should have looked closer before posting :oops: . Just as he said, be safe.

frodobaggins

Well, took me forever, but I finally got the lock ring off using my Hi-Lift and the front bumper. I think, having done it once, I can do it more easily next time.

However, I'm having a **** of a time getting the tire off of the rim. The Hi-Lift method doesn't work so well b/c the tire wants to flip over. I noticed on another thread that someone put the tire all the way under the bumper and braced one end of it up against the bumper with a 4x4. I may try and scrounge up some materials to do that. Anybody got any other tips? This thing is stuck tight/rusted.

I covered that problem in my thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/71143-dismounting-tires-hilift-jack.html

wbdodgeiv

The spoil of my toil.

I got around 30psi in the tire and the bead seated on the lock ring, but the ring wasn't seated well. I sledged it one more time and it seated. I let all of the air out of the tire to relax any tube wrinkles and the ring came out a bit, but once aired up again it is firmly seated.

If I never have to flip a 400# tire by hand again I will be very very happy. I did verify I could get the tire into the bed with a 2x4 and a lever hoist, now I know how when I am on the side of the road in BFE.

The engine hoist method of installing a tire worked very well.

I will fab up a bracket in the near future that will hold the spare, not exactly sure where. It is kind of in the way everywhere. On the front I can winch things up into the bed, on the side I can't drop the bed side, I am sure there is a thread somewhere covering this.

Attachments

Last edited:

chicklin

Success! Using the Hi-Lift and bracing the opposite side of the tire under the bumper with a 2x6 was the trick. Fell right off once I had broken the bead in two places. The inside of the wheel was in surprisingly good shape. The flap still looks good and the tube looks fine other than the hole. Thanks for all the help in this thread.

I have mounted quite a few of these 20inch and bigger tires.auaaua It is quite a bit of serious effort.
A few years ago I got the local truck shop to do a leak fix for me. $40.00 and 30 minutes later I was on my way home. :idea::grd::grd: If the prices stay like that I'll never mount another one myself!

;):D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks