• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire/rim break down.

fasttruck

Valve stem m,issing ? Probably inside dual wheel where nobody checked the pressure and tube eventually deflated and valve sucked inmto rim. This usually ruins the tube, makes it necessary to take the wheel off the vehicle with the double lug nuts because it is n the inside and if the valve stem swings around inside the tire while drioving it will probably hack the inside of the tire to the point where it will be salvage and all of this for lack of air whhich is free. Putting old tubes in new tires (not recaps) is another excercise in futility as the tires stretch with use and ther soft rubber tube also stretches so it is bigger than a new tube. Put this in a new tire that is still dimensionally as new and the tube being too big will fold over and creasze and then rupture on the crease and run flat. As new tires are frequently installed on front wheels when they go flat there you sit because someone was trying to save money. Mission in the wind, now you definetely need a new tube and hope you can get the wheel hardware they put on with an impact wrench at home station off hte the side of the road with bii issue tools.

waterguy

I see alot of bigger tires on some old trucks, can the newer "super single" rims and tires just bolt up to the older style A2 bolt pattern? Probaly a stupid question, but just need to know.
Thanks

Dave911

Yep, and it can be extremely strenuous and frustrating if you don't do it efficiently. Seems like it is as much technique and tools as anything else. I tried to dismount an 11x20 which had been on a rim for 30+ years without a duckbill hammer and nothing worked. Even a log splitter pushing on the sidewall could not dislodge the bead.. it just cut through the sidewall! A duckbill hammer/wedge is a very important tool.

Does anyone know what the military supplies to the troops to dismount these tires?

I still want to try my jack hammer (70 lbs) but I need to find a bit I can use with it.

So far the duck bill hammer/wedge, a second 5 lbs sledge to drive the duckbill after I get it started, and corn oil has worked the best. The last time I took an 11 x 20 to a truck repair place and it cost $100 to have the tube replaced. (Materials plus labor,,etc)

Dave

kwiksilver

I beat on a ndt tire all day one time and when I finally broke down and called a pro, it was an old dude with a squirt bottle of gas and pic-axe. The gasoline breaks the rubber down at the bead and it fell off with a couple of whacks. For 4 tires He said "$100 plus tip"... best $150 I ever spent

fantastico

I am sure that i have the right image in my mind, but is there any secrets to a HEMTT style 2 piece rim breakdown?

I'd imagine that its: pull the valve in the stem, air down, take off all the nuts, pull apart the rime?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I beat on a ndt tire all day one time and when I finally broke down and called a pro, it was an old dude with a squirt bottle of gas and pic-axe. The gasoline breaks the rubber down at the bead and it fell off with a couple of whacks. For 4 tires He said "$100 plus tip"... best $150 I ever spent
Haha! Squirt some gas on the rim, hit it with the pic-axe, watch spark ignite gas, go find old guy after explosion! What a fun way to spend an afternoon.

wbdodgeiv

I spent the last 3 hours trying to install the lock ring on my spare tire. I had a rim w/o a lockring, a SS member sent me a lock ring for postage and I finally got around to putting it together. I cannot get the ring to seat at the end, I have beat on it so much I think it's done for. I can get all but the last 2" to fully seat. I tried putting a bit of air in the tire and pounding on it more, but the pictures represent the best I could do, I don't think it is right. There is ~10psi in the tire in the photos.

Attachments

wbdodgeiv

I am a bit paranoid that if it doesn't seat and comes apart I will be out the $35 I spent on the tube and the cops will probably show up from the bang. I see a lot of pictures where the ring is fully seated before airing up, and just want to make sure.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent the last 3 hours trying to install the lock ring on my spare tire. I had a rim w/o a lockring, a SS member sent me a lock ring for postage and I finally got around to putting it together. I cannot get the ring to seat at the end, I have beat on it so much I think it's done for. I can get all but the last 2" to fully seat. I tried putting a bit of air in the tire and pounding on it more, but the pictures represent the best I could do, I don't think it is right. There is ~10psi in the tire in the photos.
Get that tire chained ASAP! With just 10psi that ring can still fly off and KILL you. It is very dangerous at this point to even get near it. That pic scares the he!! out of me just looking at it.

I am a bit paranoid that if it doesn't seat and comes apart I will be out the $35 I spent on the tube and the cops will probably show up from the bang. I see a lot of pictures where the ring is fully seated before airing up, and just want to make sure.
You'll be out a lot more than $35 if it doesn't seat and you air it up. Forget about the cops, you'll need a ambulance or a hearse if that ring fails in your direction.

Throw that wheel and/or ring away. Wheels are too cheap to risk something coming apart.

wbdodgeiv

It isn't in the frame, but it is chained in 4 of the 6 holes and the sides of the lock ring are under the engine hoist that is sitting on the tire pulling up on the rim.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It isn't in the frame, but it is chained in 4 of the 6 holes and the sides of the lock ring are under the engine hoist that is sitting on the tire pulling up on the rim.
Good deal. [thumbzup]

I'd still throw it away though. If the ring won't fit in the groove with no air, adding air won't help. I'll give you a good wheel if you can figure a way to get it to you.

wbdodgeiv

I've been offered a free rim/ring that's 2 hrs away. Unless I can find something closer I'll try to get it this weekend.

Btw, a family friend was killed when a split rim split a few years ago. Very sad, he was airing it up on the truck when it let go. I chain them when I can, always stand to the side, and use my left hand to lock on the chuck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know if it has been posted, so I will (maybe) say it again, I have found most tires on deuce rims FULLY seat around 30psi. Seems as if you haven't got that far yet.

wbdodgeiv

It sounds like I have 2 choices, put the ring back on as best as I can, flip it over well chained, and air it up, or drive 4hrs and get a new rim that hopefully I won't tweak the lock ring when breaking it down...

Or the third choice would be to put the ring back on and flip the wheel and pull up on the rim with the engine hoist forcing the rim over the lock ring and it if come off then it won't go anywhere.

The part that bothers me is that the end of the ring is just barely under the groove on the rim.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks