• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tranny Rebuild

steelandcanvas

The tranny in my Deuce has been busted all winter and now that the days are getting longer and nicer, I took the top off last weekend to see what came apart. It seemed to get into 2 gears at the same time, I think it was reverse and second. Not knowing this at the time, I let the clutch out and BANG! Photos are attached. Question is, I would like to tear this down and put the new gears in, if it is fiscally possible. I've heard nasty rumors the gears are very spendy and to just get a take-out trans. Are they that expensive? What are your thoughts as to rebuild or replace?

Attachments

jtron79

Here they're selling for 2-300 in good shape, if it were me i'd go the replace, supply might be more limited in your area tho

mikepelchy

Keep in mind that while simply swapping in another used tranny might be cheaper today, there is no guarantee that its going to last while as you dont know how the prior owner treated it. Personally, if it was me I'd rather spend a little bit more now and rebuild the tranny and have a like-new tranny vs a used tranny.

steelandcanvas

Keep in mind that while simply swapping in another used tranny might be cheaper today, there is no guarantee that its going to last while as you dont know how the prior owner treated it. Personally, if it was me I'd rather spend a little bit more now and rebuild the tranny and have a like-new tranny vs a used tranny.
Good point! You're OK for a newbie! ;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wonder if you could find a 3052 to get the parts you need. Doesn't look like your 5th gear is bad. Sometimes those non-od trans go cheap.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i see 1st / rev slider, 3rd damaged. until it is apart you will not know many other factors. is the counter shaft ok? my GUESS would be no. plus bearings and gasket set i see $300 of parts if the CS is bad. also the keys could have sheared on the mainshaft so there is another $100. take it apart, it may be cheaper to get a takeout and put new bearings in it.

tom

biodeucel

You really have nothing to lose by taking it apart. See exactly what needs to be replaced then decide what the best course of action is.

Vfflang

Hey Gentlemen

How long do it take to change out a transmission...rebuild wise that is ?

I have a loud whine on 5th and not sure if I want to rebuild or change out..

Thanks

197thhhc

You can pull the trans in a couple hours. How long to rebuild depends on your abilities. We have a trans out now and completely tore it down to decide on rebuild or replace. Once you get into it and find mainshaft and countershaft damage, ithelps with the decision.

Hey guys, for those of you wondering how much a rebuild kit (bearings, seals, and gaskets) costs, here's an email I got from the people on the spicer site

Hello,

We have the rebuild kit $195.00
Plus shipping.

Kit consists of all bearings, seals & gasket kit.

Thank you,

Paul Flaherty

GDT Supply
1724 Acme Street
Orlando FL 32805
Phone* 407-286-0447

Fax* 877-676-0408
Paul@GDTSupply.com
I replied to him asking about the price of gears, I'll post the reply when I get it

Straight from the horse's mouth so to speak

James,

I don't have any in stock, some of these gears are fairly hard to find and some are quit expensive. they will range from $250.00 to 595 each.

Thank you,

Paul Flaherty

GDT Supply
1724 Acme Street
Orlando FL 32805
Phone* 407-286-0447

Fax* 877-676-0408
Paul@GDTSupply.com
Looks like for anything other than bearings, seals, and gaskets, it might be best to go with a good take out trans, lol

Lord if I hit the lottery....... 8)

steelandcanvas

James, Thank you for your contact of Paul, not what I wanted to hear, but quite sobering none the less. :(
Tom, Thanks for your expert opinion, I think I'll use my other Deuce tranny and throw new bearings and seals in it, as you suggest. :D
The other Gentlemen, thank you for your input, this thread steers me in the right direction. ;-)

steelandcanvas

I yanked the tranny out of my A2C yesterday. Here are a couple of photos of one of the nicest pieces of equipment I've ever seen (not the truck). This little mini vertical winch made the job real easy, even for one Guy. Dropped it down and sat the tranny on a dolly and wheeled it out from under the truck. I then removed the PTO gearbox to put on the replacement unit, and other items to be cleaned up shelved for future use, such as the bell housing, bellcrank, clutch linkage, top cover with forks, drain and fill plugs, etc. Winch courtesy of Club Member, gamagoat1.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks