• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce winter hood covers

How many hibernate their MV's for winter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that the fact that these covers are very hard to find would dictate a little more. You can find the grill overs everywhere..............tell me where you can find these? I have been searching a lot and found none. But it's fine if no one wants to trade for them or buy them for what I want or whatever...........not a problem they don't take up much room in my garage.
I based my prices on the fact that at least 2 of the dealers have them, also that I had a NOS rear cargo winter cover that I had a heck of a time trying to get rid of. I think I finally got $200 for it after several months, the grill covers are the most common piece. I currently have 2, the most expensive of them was $25. It's all going to depend on who really needs it when you are selling as to its worth.

M1031CMT

I based my prices on the fact that at least 2 of the dealers have them, also that I had a NOS rear cargo winter cover that I had a heck of a time trying to get rid of. I think I finally got $200 for it after several months, the grill covers are the most common piece. I currently have 2, the most expensive of them was $25. It's all going to depend on who really needs it when you are selling as to its worth.
That is pretty much the problem. As neat as they are, the covers have a very small market. Only people in the cold area's of the country would want them, and even then only a few of those people would be willing to buy a set.

I live in -30F temps during the winter and start up/run the trucks without them. I did buy a NOS front cover two years ago for $35. But never really used it. The front grill cover is the most important cover.

Good luck in selling them. I am sure you will find a buyer. Though I am not sure if it will be for the price you are looking for. Personally I think your set is worth around $100 max. Would be worth more if you had the grill cover. But naturally it is all depending on what someone else is willing to pay for it.

eagle4g63

I went looking for the winterization heater.....I drive my truck EVERY day even in the winter so wanted heat and plenty of it.....After talking to a guy that had a gas heater for sale and told him I wanted to put it in my deuce he said I would have to put an auxilary fuel tank cause it wouldn't run on diesel.......I paid him and when he was getting the heater out and other orders for people he found.....A brand new in the box deuce winterization/artic kit combination-every little piece the military would have issued to send the truck into the arctic(minus the cargo area)....needles to say he shot me a price that I think was WAYYYYY low and before he could change his mind the money was in his hands!!!

Like I said I LOVE my kit in total.....30,000 btu cab heater....23,000 btu engine heater(for that chilly morning pre warm up:lol:) and that is what the blankets do the most...hold in the heat...plus quiet all the rattling.

eagle4g63

hndrsonj: I guess out by you the winter stuff isn't all that important, is it?

If I had ever seen the rear cover(cargo winterization) I would have bought it in a heart beat:drool::drool:.....I bid on an entire truck bed with all installed(even the rear cargo passenger heater) up in Alaska....I think I went as high as $1,000 and still lost it:(

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a heater for a deuce. Picked it up at the GA rally last year. The hood cover was included in the Arctic kit. It has many hold down clips. Is there a diagram how these are attached..?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought 2 grill covers for my Deuce NIB and this stuff is made really well to say the least, I paid 25.00 each for the grill parts!
KK

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hndrsonj: I guess out by you the winter stuff isn't all that important, is it?
No, not really. I have no desire to drive mine in the -25 to -65 degrees they are designed for. :driver:

I also wanted to just list a few of the bigger components of the M35 winterization kit (off the top of my head so I may miss some) for those who aren't sure what the winterization kits consist of.

There is: The insulated hood/side cover, grill cover, personnel heater, engine (gas fired) heater, insulated battery box (that is relocated), battery box heater element, cab hardtop, oil pan heat shield, transmission and transfer case shifter boots, the cargo compartment heater, insulated cargo cover, custom made wood cargo "end covers", and supports for the bows (due to weight). Again, I am sure I missed something but everyone should get the general idea of what is in a complete "kit".

Bighurt

No, not really. I have no desire to drive mine in the -25 to -65 degrees they are designed for. :driver:
I concur, my collection hibernates, pull batteries, antigel the fuel. And button them up for winter.

I'd like to get a set, but more so for a fall spring deal and more of a cool factor vs practical use. Who knows though...

dblcamaros

Button them up for winter? No way....lol. We drove ours all year round in the Arny. They are awesome to drive in snow a lot of fun. If gonna hibernate them may as well just get a convertible. Not trying to be a smart alec just saying they were meant to deal with the elements so I don't shy from whatever nature throws at mine. After all they are Combat vehicles.

eagle4g63

From the list the only thing I am missing is the cargo bed stuff.....also part of the list is the air compressor alcohol evaporator set up(which I do have).

Plus one on the fun as H#!! to drive in the snow, parking lot drifting with a couple inches of snow is a blast in a deuce!!!

ODdave

From the list the only thing I am missing is the cargo bed stuff.....also part of the list is the air compressor alcohol evaporator set up(which I do have).

Plus one on the fun as H#!! to drive in the snow, parking lot drifting with a couple inches of snow is a blast in a deuce!!!
Inches are fun, but feet are better:driver:

Attachments

eagle4g63

Now that is funny!!!

I wanted to park my truck on(in) one of the huge piles of snow at the grocery store but the wife said NO WAY!!! I didn't argue with that....it would have been a different kind of cold ride home.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it seems pretty much split. About half of us drive them through the winter. You other half don't know what your missing!! should try it! Thanks to all of you for your info.
It's got nothing with not WANTING to drive them, it's wanting them to still be here in 10 years due to salt and rust after driving them several winters.:shock:

dblcamaros

Well I am glad to see that winter does not deter the use of most MV owners. I know that should we have another hurricane in my area again mine will def. see use as an extra rescue vehicle. Can't wait for winter, hopefully this year we will get some snow!! I still have not gotten a really good idea on what these covers are worth. Received a lot of useful information, but not what I really need. I would really like to trade a set for a cargo cover. Mine has multiple holes, and is a vinyl middle with two canvas ends zip tied to the bows! Basically just enough to keep majority of rain out of bed. Any takers please contact me. Thanks all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks