• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with 6v92T Detroit and transmission.....????

Ryan123

Hey fellas,

Been considering the possibility of putting a 6v92T (turbo) Detroit diesel in my Deuce. The udder sluggishness of the whopping 140 horse power is just getting annoying frankly as I live in the hills. To go camping I have to climb steep mountain passes and the deuce just doesn't like it haha.

The 6V92T with the right configuration puts out 335 HP at 2100 RPM and 957 ft/lbs of torque at 1300 RPM. Here is a spec sheet. https://www.powerlinecomponents.com/literature/detroit_diesel/brochures/6v92ta-tta_automotive.pdf

The questions/ issues:

I have done quite a few calculations with gearing and what transmission would be needed. With a .79 overdrive at 2100RPM and 6.72:1 rear end and 42 inch tires(roughly what mine are) I would get 47.44 mph. The rolling circumference of a 42 inch tire is 10.555 ft per revolution. Now you can get OD kits for the 3053 tranny and drop the OD to .69 instead of .79 and that gets you : 54.32 MPH which is still a bit slow. There Are also gears that are available for 1200$ an axle that are 4.90:1 which would give you 74.49MPH @ 2100rpm with the .69 OD which would be a bit insane.

1. Could a Spicer (stock Deuce trans) hold up to that type of power and what about the rest of the truck? Also the 6v92 has an SAE Number 1 Fly wheel housing anyone know what the Spicer 3053 is? From my research it is looking like a number 2 but not 100% sure.
2.It would however be very nice to drop and Allison 3000 HS in which is a 6 speed with a .65 OD with stock gears(6.72:1) that will give you 57.66 MPH and in first gear it will give you 10 MPH so still fairly low and if you shift the T-case into low well you will still have the slow crawl power a deuce is loved for.

All the Fabrication will be custom obviously the T-case may have to be moved back. The 6V92 should fit here is a drawing of it. http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/literature/detroit_diesel/ddc_drawings/80677840ID.pdf

The other very cool thing about Detroit's is they have aux drives in the back so you can run power steering very easily as well as the air compressor for your brakes which will be bolt on. As far as a radiator it may end up having to be remote mounted in the back but I have not actually done any measuring to see just yet.

Any input/ Ideas are greatly appreciated.

P.S. the first person to say "just do a 4bt cummins blah blah blah bandwangon blah blah" can just leave hehe. Also I LIKE how Detroit's sound and how they run so noise and what ever other excuse 2 stroke haters may have are null and void.

Last edited:

KsM715

Be prepared for the onslaught of "if you make it faster you need to upgrade the brakes too" replies. 75mph in a deuce? No thanks, they always felt like they were going to come apart at anything over 50 to me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does a 6V92 weigh? You are close to the max weight with the multi. Any custom tuning with a Detroit expert and 500+ hp is not unusual. Do you have the correct attitude for the Detroit? I seriously doubt that the 3053 will last any length of time.

Ryan123

Max weight as in DOT? Because the duece can hold a lot more weight than a bigger motor....? And yes I forgot to mention it but disk brake conversion will most likely happen. How ever I'm shooting for more like 65 not so much 75

Ryan123

Another possibility that I just stumbled upon.... a 6v53T Detroit which DOES have a number 2 flywheel housing and maxes out at 2800RPM instead of 2100RPM which could save a lot of money on gears ect ect. If it bolts up to the 3053 then a guy wont have to do very much. At 2800 RPM with a .79 Overdrive and 6.72 rear ends 10.555 rolling circumference that gives you 63.26 MPH

Here is the specs on the 6v53T granted if you want more power there are things you can do to gain some. Bigger injectors mostly. https://www.powerlinecomponents.com/literature/detroit_diesel/brochures/3_4_6v53t_ind.pdf

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be prepared for the onslaught of "if you make it faster you need to upgrade the brakes too" replies. 75mph in a deuce? No thanks, they always felt like they were going to come apart at anything over 50 to me.
That was a state of the art brake system in 1949 why would it need a upgrade , just because you moded the truck to go a 30 - 40 % faster than it was designed in the 1950's ?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What does a 6V92 weigh? You are close to the max weight with the multi. Any custom tuning with a Detroit expert and 500+ hp is not unusual. Do you have the correct attitude for the Detroit? I seriously doubt that the 3053 will last any length of time.
A 6V92 weighs about 2K lbs. The stock LDT weighs about 1800-1900 lbs. Not that much difference.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 6V53 would be more realistic, and if you're not too heavy on the right foot then a 3053A might hold up. I understand the concerns while going up hills, it would be nice to hold a constant speed while ascending, and if you get a 53-series with Jacobs heads then you won't have to worry about braking on the way down the other side of those hills.

I'd definitely recommend that you run the exhaust along the frame and out behind the rear wheels; otherwise even with hearing protection the exhaust note would be deafening if routed through the stock location.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The DD 6v53 was used by the Israelis in there repowered deuces using the stock trans, also I believe the Canadians also used the same motor in there deuces, the WEIGHT is more in line for a deuce front end, the 6v92 will be why to heavy. As far as altitude goes, use a turbo. Big tires really are a power suck on hills, down sizing the tires is the cheapest why to get more power on hills,
Just a thought, when was the last time you checked your wheel cylinders and the rubber brake hoses on your 65 mph mountain driving truck, disk brakes are ONLY as good as the WEAKEST part of the system, in this case the single circuit (unless a USAF truck) brake line.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I once drove a Freightliner with a 318 Driptroit in it. On level ground it ran like a striped arsed ape. If you said "hill" on the CB radio it would drop 20MPH. I'm not sure a Detroit is the best engine for climbing hills.

The only way to get anything out of a Detroit is to run it up against the governor. They do not like to loaf along.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a "Screaming Jimmy". I don't enjoy it for long periods of time when sitting behind one.

We used to say that if you had to drive a truck with a Detroit in it just slam your hand in the door first, after that it could only get better.

Good luck and post videos if you complete the project.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The DD 6v53 was used by the Israelis in there repowered deuces using the stock trans, also I believe the Canadians also used the same motor in there deuces, the WEIGHT is more in line for a deuce front end, the 6v92 will be why to heavy. As far as altitude goes, use a turbo. Big tires really are a power suck on hills, down sizing the tires is the cheapest why to get more tires on hills,
Just a thought, when was the last time you checked your wheel cylinders and the rubber brake hoses on your 65 mph mountain driving truck, disk brakes are ONLY as good as the WEAKEST part of the system, in this case the single circuit (unless a USAF truck) brake line.
The Canadian deuces didn't use a two stroke Detroit. A 6V92 is about 2K lbs. A 6V53 is about 1800. The stock LDT is about 1800lbs as well. 200lbs isn't going to make a huge difference unless it's a winch truck maybe. And it's a drum brake system the trucks have. ;)

Ryan123

The biggest benefit I see going to the 6v53T is the RPM gain and the fact it could possibly bolt to the 3053. It is however quite a bit less power than the 92 but everything just seems to line up better. In all honesty though with a well tuned deuce brake system the drum brakes are fine. I don't know if any of you have ever driven and 18 wheeler in the mountains but I can tell you this you wont see one flying 65 mph down a steep downgrade.... LOW GEAR>>>>> slow and steady wins the race.

As far as putting stock tires back on I'm sure it would do a lot better on hills but who wants to take 9 hours to get somewhere because you're pushing 53 MPH the whole way there. NO THANKS.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest benefit I see going to the 6v53T is the RPM gain and the fact it could possibly bolt to the 3053. It is however quite a bit less power than the 92 but everything just seems to line up better. In all honesty though with a well tuned deuce brake system the drum brakes are fine. I don't know if any of you have ever driven and 18 wheeler in the mountains but I can tell you this you wont see one flying 65 mph down a steep downgrade.... LOW GEAR>>>>> slow and steady wins the race.

As far as putting stock tires back on I'm sure it would do a lot better on hills but who wants to take 9 hours to get somewhere because you're pushing 53 MPH the whole way there. NO THANKS.
The 6V53 would seem to be a better drop-in option, and as I mentioned before, get one that has the Jacobs solenoids in the heads so you have a built-in engine brake...that will take care of slowing your speed on the way down the other side of the hill & not overwhelm your stock brakes.

As Ron mentioned, once you replace stock hoses & lines, rebuild your wheel cylinders, replace your BFS, rebuild your master cylinder & Airpack, and bleed everything properly, the brakes work just fine. I like the performance of my stock drum brakes on my Deuce now that I've done all of the above.

Triple C

I have a 1975 Pete with a 6v92 that I have owned for 20 years, sitting right beside my 925 and wreckerman is right, it has to be screaming to generate any power. If you like the high rpm, go for it but if you want low end torque, I would suggest you consider a big cam 400.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

camoyj7

Why not a 5.9 Cummins? Lighter maybe around 1300 lbs. They make great power, can find parts anywhere and will bolt up to any sae flywheel housing. Also the Spicer 3053 behind the deuce is a sae#3 flywheel housing not a sae#2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks