• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with 6v92T Detroit and transmission.....????

iatractor

W Do you have the correct attitude for the Detroit?
By that, I am assuming you must mean that you gotta slam your hand in the door three times, then stomp your foot on the accelerator, grip the steering wheel like you want to rip it off the shaft, and then go through the gears like you can't get out of there fast enough? My experience with a screaming jimmy was to drive it all sorts of pissed off and you got along great. Drive it like a normal vehicle and it would fight you.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Why not a 5.9 Cummins? Lighter maybe around 1300 lbs. They make great power, can find parts anywhere and will bolt up to any sae flywheel housing. Also the Spicer 3053 behind the deuce is a sae#3 flywheel housing not a sae#2.
If it's from a dodge pickup, it won't have a SAE bellhousing. Also you'll burn up a 3053 in short order behind a cummins 5.9 due to the torque.

Ryan123

Dude. Everyone and their grandma does a cummins. Granted you can make a decent amount of power out of them but I personally don't care for them if you couldn't tell in my original post

camoyj7

Yes you are right. The one's from pickup's don't have sae flywheel housings. Most of the time you have to change them anyway though. I got lucky the one I pulled from the school bus had a sae#3 flywheel housing on it and I just had to find the right flywheel. If you don't crank up the power and don't slam gears it might last. My friend has that combo going together right now.

Attachments

Ryan123

Seriously though how much power are you getting out of a cummins.... Not that much to me going from 140 to 170 is not worth it.

This is thread is more of a design thread for a DETROIT. People keep coming in here complaining about how they don't like them and slam your hand blah blah.

Please start being constructive instead of complaining about how you have to know how to drive to run a jimmy.

so it appears that a 3053 is out of the question for a transmission... Anyone know of some good mechanical Allison's with overdrive?

ALFA2

Ryan123, just as an idea, to help you get a little more road speed and a better riding truck, try figuring a 46" tire in your formula. 46's fit with no problems in a stock size Deuce, and are much better tires, for speed and for weight. Plus you get more top speed for free, no special gear changes, if you got the engine to do it.
Run you formula, see what it gives you.
Hope this helps some.
ALFA2

KsM715

Ryan123, just as an idea, to help you get a little more road speed and a better riding truck, try figuring a 46" tire in your formula. 46's fit with no problems in a stock size Deuce, and are much better tires, for speed and for weight. Plus you get more top speed for free, no special gear changes, if you got the engine to do it.
Run you formula, see what it gives you.
Hope this helps some.
ALFA2
If you're running decent road speed now but fall flat on your face on hills then taller tires are not what you need.

welldigger

O and I LOVE the idea of a detroit. I'm not a huge fan of the 6bt myself. Not that it's a bad engine. I just don't care for it.

welldigger

If you're running decent road speed now but fall flat on your face on hills then taller tires are not what you need.
He's wanting to do and engine swap that will gain him double or triple the torque of the multifuel. 395's wouldn't be an issue.

Heck for that matter I have no trouble driving my deuce in hills with 395's and the multifuel. No my fuel isn't turned up. Granted I don't have many large hills to climb but they do exist here.

Ryan123

The reason I dont like the cummins thing is because everyone is doing it. It's easy it works its cookie cutter. It's not everyday you see a detroit in a deuce.... plus im kind of a 2 stroke lover so that plays a major roll in it. I have done some more reading around and it appears that a 8v53 will fit in a deuce as well.

Okay so the tires are 43 inchs to turn 65 we need an overdrive ratio of .79:1 to .78:1 right in there while turning a detroit at 2800 RPM. Now that being said it would be nice to run one at about 2500 RPM and not pegged out which would require a .70-.71 ratio for overdrive.

Lets find the right transmission preferably one that is mechanical not electronic. I hate electronics.

Ryan123

At this point it does really matter. I'm thinking auto because the trans may move forward or backward depending on length of engine ect compared to where the hole in the floor is a stick may be goofy. plus the way detroits run I think they like and auto a bit better. It would be cool to just mash the throttle and be gone.

Ryan123

it appears that an eaton fuller 10 speed (many different models) can come in an sae number 1 or 2 flywheel housing and also they can withstand WAY more torque and horse power that we are talking to throw at it. They also come with an overdrive up to .74 which would be a decent OD.

welldigger

Thats a lot of transmission to fit in there. But, anything is doable.

I wonder how much torque the deuce transfer case can handle?

Ryan123

The t case was the next question I suppose. That thing is pretty beefy I bet it can handle a 6v53 235 hp and 550 torque stock. One thing to keep in mind is the the 6v53 is a lot shorter length wise than the multi fuel i think, ill measure to be sure but if the eaton is longer which it will be it should still fit fine . A ten speed is actually fairly small compared to some truck trannys

welldigger

Just for convenience I would try to stay 5 or 6 speed with a stick.
Just imagine your deuce as it is now except twice the power. I'd drive mine every day if that was the case.

Someone stabbed an eaton 6 speed in an a3. Trying to remember what thread it was. It fit... barely.

Ryan123

A ten speed honestly is not that big. I'm thinking with a 6v53 being shorter slide the forward to compensate for a bit more length and keep the t case where it's at or worst case move it back. Just read a post about the 2.5t transfer cases apparently some guys are inputting 1000 ft/lbs and they are holding up okay. Some are breaking then but that's double what I'll be doing

welldigger

Its not the size. I just don't like shifting that much. You won't be towing enough weight to need that many gears. Granted thats just my opinion. Too much stop n go traffic where I'm at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks