• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Wrecker Engine Swap

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, today my goal was to get the replacement engine painted and ready for the future install. Also wanted to get the multifuel front crossmember sandblsted and painted. Well, got all that done and it was just after lunch so I started the engine removal process. Attached are a few pics of what I got done today.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind word guys! I have a few extra days off here and there for the next 2 weeks so hopefully I can get this thing to a point that it runs. Bjorn is bringing me and alternator so my biggest lissing link is still the radiator. While the engine is out I'm going to replumb the front brakes and hang this new master cylinder too. Still need to rebuild an airpack but that will come. Your comments keep me working!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
I am TRULY IMPRESSED with your work. Aside from the redneck engineered engine host, you have a knack for just 'gettin down' and getting the work done. THAT, my man is TRULY above and beyond.

WAY TO GO. Keep those pix coming. I have learned so much just watching your pix. Get some in depth documentation pix for the master cylinder install and rerouting the brake lines. We can all learn from your work. THANKS a million. jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm.... who needs a crane. :)
It's a big project, just don't lose momentum.

Did the gasser have some sort of governor to keep the rpm constant?

(Scheduled to stop by for a visit on the 12th or 13th of Feb.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, mine did not. The engine was either modified or a civilian transplant as I've found many odd differences. The factory stuff did have a governor that limited the RPM to 1700. This was using 5th gear to drive the transfer PTO. Now I need to figure what RPM is right using the 3053A overdrive tranny. I could have pulled this truck apart a long time ago but I didn't want the typical slowdowns waiting on this and waiting on that. That's what causes me to lose the momentum. Today I'm giving the truck a couple of hours attention. I hope to finish stripping off the rest of the gasser stuff like fuel lines, gas tank and air cleaner. The air system had some mods that need to be reversed as well. I'm also planning on running new steel brake lines to the front axle and replacing the master cylinder while the engine is out. Trying not to rush myself here I hope to take a week getting all the stuff done in prep for the install. I wished that I had rebuilt n air pack in advance but no worries, I'll get to that later. All in all, it looks pretty straightforward. Its nice to have the pipeline remains as well as that extra cab/frame cut I have out back. They have been excellent sources of parts or just to crawl into to see how the depots ran stuff. Heres one more pic of the transmission PTO. It's certainly not needed but it has the PTO with front and rear outputs. It's not going back on though, I have another one ready to install on the 3053A

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The instructions pertaining to the transfer pto speed control on the M49A2C fuel tanker is pictured below. It may be of interest when working on yours.

(The tag with all instructions, is about 8x10 inches in size and was removed from the right rear door of the tanker unit before it was sold.)

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can your speed control governor be adjusted? I need 1700rpm in 4th and I'm still trying to firgure out what RPM that will be in 5th.

1958 M274

I may have misunderstood this, but is anything changing about the transfer case or PTO? I don't remember reading anything about it being changed. Also, that 1700 RPM was governed engine speed for a gas engine and the old transmission is 1:1 in fifth, right? Fifth gear was used when running the transfer case PTO, right?

If all of that information is correct, then the input shaft speed to the transfer case would not need to change, meaning 1700 RPM is still the required transmission output shaft speed. That can be accomplished with the multifuel engine running at 1700 RPM and the new transmission in 4th (1:1), or about 1450 RPM in fifth with an OD ratio of .85, right?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, you are correct. The transfer PTO is a direct drive unit. Ratio changes can be obtained by changing transmission gears. Hey Leonard, I made it right to the last minute before that Sawzall had to come out. Needed to erradicate that exhaust pipe really quik. And the project goes on!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I made it outside for about 45 minutes today before the weather turned for the worse. Was able to strip all the sttarter linkage and throttle linkage off the firewall as well as the foot starter switch. Also got rid of the factory air cleaner which was full of water. Took the scraper to the frame and its in very nice shape. I'll clean up and paint the front rails before the install. 2 of the 4 holes that mount the multifuel air cleaner assy are already there, just a matter of popping 2 more holes. The project is moving along smoothly and tomorrow I hope to get the rear mount swapped out and other things. I'll have more pics tomorrow!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I got rained out yesterday but got back to work today. I had stripped the firewall of all the extra linkages and wiring earlier. I finished stripping the rest of the poo poo wiring today. Got the gasser fuel tank off the truck as well. I also got the grinder out and removed the RR engine mount. I had already removed multifuel mount from a donor truck so that was ready to install. The hot rivets were somewhere between 3/8 and 7/16 so I opened up the holes and bolted the rear mount on with 7/16 grade 8 fine thread bolts with nylocks. Took the sawzall to the front engine crossmember/ mount too. Got it out of the way and drilled a relief hole in the hot rivets so that the zip gun would knock them right out. Same with size so the holes were opened up for 7/16 Gr 8 bolts and nylocks. 2 of the holes go right through the leaf spring mount. Had to take the springs loose and lift the frame off the springs to drill the holes and install the bolts. The crossmember is completely installed now. Other than running my fuel lines and the such, I could put the engine in now. I'll hold off until the lines are run, and I do the steel brake lines up front. I"m also installing the new master cylinder and rebuilt airpack before the engine goes in. If my paint arrives in time, I'll paint the frame rails too. Atached are some pics, captions at the top!

Attachments

red devils dude

nice work now after it warm's up here(going down to 25 for a few days) and get my pick up from the shop so I can get the
engine stand I'm all set to get the engine ready.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks