• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Wrecker Engine Swap

UPFINN

Very good thread!

Was considering getting what looks to be a 1966 M35A1 or M44 with most likely a REO/White OA331 gas engine. Truck is in perfect shape and I am looking into the possiblity of an engine swap.

Is the OA331 compatible with with the 5 speed spicer transmission and rockwell transfer case? Looks like I could just drop a multifuel engine right in, just changing the mounts, re routing the exhaust to a stack, changing fuel tanks, and guage/control linkages in cab? I am no expert in engine swaps by any means. I can get the 465 turbo engine for around $1500. Wondering if this is more trouble than it is worth to get a M35A2 work truck.

This thread has helped me get an idea of what to expect. Got tired just reading it!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is the OA331 compatible with with the 5 speed spicer transmission and rockwell transfer case? Looks like I could just drop a multifuel engine right in, just changing the mounts, re routing the exhaust to a stack, changing fuel tanks, and guage/control linkages in cab? I am no expert in engine swaps by any means. I can get the 465 turbo engine for around $1500. Wondering if this is more trouble than it is worth to get a M35A2 work truck.

This thread has helped me get an idea of what to expect. Got tired just reading it!
Engine is compatible but gasser doesn't have an overdrive transmission, since it revs higher. Slower revving multi will require a 3053 OD trans to maintain normal (normal for a deuce) speed.

I have the correct front crossmember (mount) and rear engine mount for multi (crossmember is M44A2 style, the later multifuel crossmember).

Rest of what you said sounds right.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well planning on the swap with my M108. Finally got a good donor truck. Is the front cross member that needs to be changed the same on winch and non winch truck?

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well planning on the swap with my M108. Finally got a good donor truck. Is the front cross member that needs to be changed the same on winch and non winch truck?
Yes.

gunboy1656

Kid had phone.
Well, today my goal was to get the replacement engine painted and ready for the future install. Also wanted to get the multifuel front crossmember sandblsted and painted. Well, got all that done and it was just after lunch so I started the engine removal process. Attached are a few pics of what I got done today.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally made a little progress. The old motor is ready to come out. All disconnected but it got dark before we could remove it. My plan is to go ahead and remove the cab as well.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks