• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diamond in the Rough, or Rough cut Diamond

NoLeftTurns

I got a truck I want to buy. I think it is a M109. I have only seen one picture of it taken in 2009. It was rebuilt totally at one point, so I was told. A lady's husband passed away and left her with it. She just wants it gone. He had rebuilt it for the Y2K scare, and they drove it to their cabin on new years 2000. It has sat there since then. I am serious, it is full of dried foods and 300 gallons of deisel fuel. My question is what do I need to look for when I go to look at this truck? Are there any specific things that would have gone bad? (besides the food) I was thinking maybe rubber break lines or fuel lines? My hopes are since these are beasts, that maybe most of the lines are steel. I know she has at least 1 flat tire. The truck is located 200 miles away and so I want to get as much info as possible before I go look at it. I would like to get it running when I see it if possible. Also any help on how to tell exactly what I got? I dont know how to tell if I have an A1, A2, or A3. I have read a lot of the forums, and I know some of the tells, but I cant see a Trans or T-case from the one picture I have. I plan on taking as many pictures as possible when I can get to see it. Thanks.

P.S. I am is Colorado, so rust shouldn't be a big factor.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibily bad master cylinder, wheel cylinders , check radiator ,fresh fuel , count on new batteries ect . The best thing to do is a search in the deuce forum for recoveries and stat reading . It seems colorado has a pretty good membership base you may be able to get a member close to look it over with you . Good luck , you may want to try to turn the motor over with a breaker bar on the crank to be sure it is free and not froxe up from siting.Your best option would be to get it towed to somewhere you can work on it at your leisure ,most likely the brakes don't work.

NoLeftTurns

I figured the fuel and possibly fuel filters would be first replacement anyways. Cirtters eating electrical was my biggest concern really. What kind of electrical work can I expect to find in one of these? I have worked on many vehicles with electronics and without. Am I looking at a single wiring harness, or ECM's and electronic ignition? Yea I know, probably not. Most anything old will run without wires, if you know what your doing. My goal is to get her driveable enoug to get on a tow truck. Seals is my other main concern, I would think your meaning engine seals? I would guess the main seal might need replaced, any expirence on that (difficulty)? Why bad master cylinder? does it have any rubber? I agree and have and will again read the recovery texts. Great idea on the hand cranking of engine. Is this do-able with breaker bar? I would remove glow plug? Sorry don't know much about Deisels or Multifuels. Agreed also on the towing to a spot to work on - problem is tow truck can't get to spot. The truck was towed to the property originally, then driven to the cabin because of the terrain. Any overall thoughts as to if this is worth the trouble - or would I be best buying another truck from an auction? I figure I will be taking a look either way.

gunboy1656

There are threads to read on rear main seals. And yes I was talking about engine seals. The master cylinder has a tendency to dry out over time. and could possibly have water in the system.

The hole wire harness is in a few pieces that plug together, not difficult, just time consuming.

If you don't have a copy of the TM's, please do yourself a favor and check out this site and download them. JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

and another thing I forget about last time......nopics

Without us being able to see the truck we can't determine how bad it really is. Personally I would say go with a private seller as normally they already have the title in hand.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to look at the truck. Until you look it over, everything is basically a guess. You may find that it is in good shape, aside from fuel. It it's been sitting that long, all three fuel filters and draining the tank are a must. You will definitely need two new 6TL batteries. Sounds like you may be able to get it cheap. Ask the lady how much she will pay you to take it away - you never know. Before you do anything, read as many threads as you can on this forum. Also, download the TMs and read them.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1 - unlikely, the gov hasnt rebuilt A1's for a while unless it was privately done (I'd be weary then)
A2/A3 -most likely as she said "M109", same frame and etc.. most common by far
A4- unlikely as M35A3's with box campers are rare to say the least also designated "m109A4"

But count on batteries, wiring, etc.. all what they said above!

Last edited:

NoLeftTurns

* Master Cylinder could have water - noted thanks
*wiring no biggie - thanks
*Download TM's - thanks
*Title in hand - always good.
*Picture - only got one and will see about scanning it soon
* Double and Triple the TM's - gotcha thanks.

Batteries - Do I need them for a test run? can I jump from a dual battey vehicle? Roll starts? Impossible?

Is there a diffinitave way to tell the model like a plaque or something? location? I am guessing M109 because it had a box on the back with some windows that apear to slide down, Three I think. Lady told me that there is also some other bed up there not in her picture. Maybe with benches in it. She seems to think it slides off and swaps with the box? I think she said it was a manual trans. Im sorry for all the ?'s, I just got started and will be reading the forums daily to catch up on specifics of any answers.

*Go look at it - Yea I know but it's colorado and this is 200 miles in the mountains and there is like 200 inches of snow there until May.

Thanks for any info and I will research more from here.
Just found MVCC. Thanks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A lot of issues will depend on if it was stored under cover or not.

If it was out in the weather you could be looking at a lot of deterioration especially if it had a soft top.

You cannot jump start it with a 12 volt system.....but you can take two batteries and hook them together to get 24 volts and use a heavy set of jumper cables to jump it.

M109s are great vehicles.....I had one and it made a cool hooch for rallys.

Good luck with it.

area52

there are a few guys around Denver that should be able to help you out.

Where is the truck at? If its down towards the south west corner of CO, i can help you look it over.

JDToumanian

I don't doubt that fresh fuel is a good idea, but there's no way I'd dispose of 300 gallons of diesel. I've run much older diesel fuel than that with no problems.... Even if it had water and algae in it, I'd filter it and use it.

Jon

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon's right. Food probably, diesel never. Batteries (don't have to be 6TL's, just need 700+ cca batteries), DOT 5 brake fluid, fuel filter set, antifreeze, engine oil, transmission oil when doing the recovery. First trip should be to check it out and get pictures. If there was food inside, you may find that the forest creatures have visited it and taken care of the edible portion. Read the TM's esp the -10 TM's to find out what to check - get the LO and the deuce daily inspection GTA. Plan on the first (inspection) trip lasting a couple of hours just to get everything looked at and written down. Then let someone that has a deuce look over what you found or post the results (and pictures) here and everyone will chime in. HTH

NoLeftTurns

I expect the dash plate will probably be there. The picture I have seen made the truck look immaculate. Lady said he restored it side by side with national guardsman for years. I mean he took it for like end of the world purposes, you know if civilization broke down. I still expect critters and weathering. Unfortunately it was uncovered. I will be asking lady today-tomorrow for her picture to scan. Also unfortunately it is in the NW corner of the state, close to the wyoming border. Agreed on the idea of first trip being to investigate and taking lots of pictures. I just want to be able to go as far as possible when I'm up there. I agree with not wasting the deisel fuel. The majority of it is in 55 gallon steel drums. I think you can polish diesel? I think big boats do this. That being said I will just dump the tank and replace that with fresh - for a good start. I don't think there would be much if any water or algae because it is DRY here. The snow evaporates into the air. But if the tanks fail, maybe. Food may have been critterized, but again this guy stored this stuff for the end of the world. Probably vaccum sealed and tripple contained in an insulated box truck. Great info guys. ++SCSG-G4 - 700+ cold cranking. I plan on spending the whole day inspecting when I can get up there. Will also be asking Lady for more info. +Like idea of having someone look over check list. Thanks again. And will read TM's.

Unforgiven

Worst case scenario you can hotwire the starter to crank using jumper cables. You technically don't need the electrical system working to get the truck running. But if you do that, you won't have brakes lights or turn signals.

I would buy one of those glad-handle to air chuck converter hoses. Once you get the truck running you can use the on-board air. That way you don't even have to bring an air compressor for the flat tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks