• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

did USMC ever use the M35A2

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stealing implied taking stuff for personal gain, and that was a no-no. "Reallocating" meant Uncle still owned it, it just wasn't where he originally intended it to be. :)

Scrounger is a semi-official position in Marine units. They were the ones who could find, or talk someone into giving, whatever was needed.

The Seabees were always pretty outstanding at getting us stuff, or building things for us. They knew that in return, Marines fought like tigers to protect them (though most of them were pretty darn good in a fight themselves. One thing worse than fighting Marines, is fighting Marines and Seabees together!).

Cheers

PS - clarification for my earlier post - BnFx means Battalion Field Exercise, it occurred to me that not everyone would recognize the acronym.

Last edited:

rustystud

Stealing implied taking stuff for personal gain, and that was a no-no. "Reallocating" meant Uncle still owned it, it just wasn't where he originally intended it to be. :)

Scrounger is a semi-official position in Marine units. They were the ones who could find, or talk someone into giving, whatever was needed.

The Seabees were always pretty outstanding at getting us stuff, or building things for us. They knew that in return, Marines fought like tigers to protect them (though most of them were pretty darn good in a fight themselves. One thing worse than fighting Marines, is fighting Marines and Seabees together!).

Cheers

PS - clarification for my earlier post - BnFx means Battalion Field Exercise, it occurred to me that not everyone would recognize the acronym.
I could never figure out why we where always underfunded ! Did they purposely do it to build up our scrounging skills ? I just remember that when I made E-5 (Sargent) I was introduced to the "hidden" cache of supplies for the Motor "T" unit. These supplies where for emergencies only. I asked what would happen if the inspectors found them and I was told they would be taken away and our budget reduced even further. Did not make any kind of sense at all ! I mean I was using welding cables that had more "electrical tape" then rubber on them ! Guys could get shocked just walking by them ! I was constantly welding on the wrecker trying to keep it working. That is one reason I won't own a "Marine" truck or any piece of equipment. It will be so "used" that it will take vast amounts of money to fix it !
Now my Air-Force deuce was in "premo" condition !

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the key to this thread is whether the USMC ever "USED" the Deuces. Sure they did, they used a lot of them. Did they "OWN" them, well, that's a little different........

I was actually appointed as a Senior NCO to a board made up entirely of officers for accident investigations deployments. My selection was based as the B/Gen put it "on my innate ability to scrounge ANYTHING." He told me what to "appropriate" and I did. He just made me promise to never answer his question when He asked where things came from. That was a FUN 3 years !

Jeepsinker

That is part of what gives Marines more character. Doing a fine job with less equipment, and getting the things they need,but don't have by other fun and interesting means. I have heard stories that nearly made me bust a gut.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was taught by my SM, the LT, the Captain, and the LTC to get what they wanted me to get.
I appropriated whatever they needed by whatever quasi-legal means available.

i.e. beg, borrow, barter, appropriate, but my direct orders were to get it.
I did whatever I was told to do. I was low man on the totem pole but always backed up.
Many times I was asked who sent me, I could give no answer, but that back channel stuff ...
all that above my, the lowest, pay-grade and I usually got what they told me to get.
91B2P Dog robber

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Above are examples of the interpretation of the phrase "Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome". It seems that phrase applied to every situation. That is what makes Semper Fidelis possible.

Kloakndagr

I did the same thing in the Air Force. Was in a career field where we wore civilian clothes, one day my commander told me we were having some 20 secret service agents arrive late at night, since no chow was available, did I "know" anyone who could get them some chow. I asked him if wanted to know all the details, he didn't.....20 minutes later a truck arrived with inflight meals. I had 20 happy hungry secret service agents fed. Now that was a fun time, working on a presidential security detail. Mom got a great photo of one of our presidents and her oldest son.

Reactions: 98G

Katahdin

My cousin told me he drove one while deployed to Somalia, I did a little searching and found these pics that can be purchased online.

"16th October 1993 Leaving UNOSOM Headquarters, U.S. Army infantry soldiers of C Company 1/87 head out onto the streets of Mogadishu, Somalia in the back of an M35 truck. "

RJEJ6W.jpg

RJH2EF.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks