• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference between A1, A2 and A3?

M35A2

What is the difference between the A1, A2 and A3 series M35's? Is it to do with newer upgrades, or has it to do with what type of model it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy :wink:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
although there are other differences the power plant is the main difference(I think).
m44 gasser
m44a1 lds427multifuel
m44a2 ld465multifuel
m44a3 cat diesel

FSBruva

The A2's at first were all N/A multis, but subsequently they all had turbos added. THe A3's were frankensteins made from the parts of 3 A2's.... put double beadlock wheels on, repowered it with a cat diesel, gave it an automatic tranny, a hydraulic front winch and added CTIS... Am i forgetting anything?

Matt

red devils dude

not quite matt a LOT of later trucks had the N/A engine like mine a 1972 and yes it's the original engine.
it seems a lot of the 71-72 AM's had the N/A motors why I have no idea.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSBruva said:
Am i forgetting anything?

Matt
Tires!!! A3s come with 14.5R20 tubeless MPT super singles. They really make all the difference! Take any A1 or A2, leave everything else stock and just put those wheel/tires on. You won't believe what our old trucks are capable to do in (should say over) deep sand, mud, snow! Air them down to 20 psi (15 rear if empty) and start having fun! On road at 50 psi you have improved handling and safety, reduced rolling resistance and much longer wear! I know, they aren't cheap, but for me it is well invested money.

Gerhard

Jones

Don't forget the up-slope hood (higher in the front than in the back) with side panels cut to match, and the aircleaner assembly outside on the right side front fender.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it just because they couldn’t accommodate a radiator large enough for that Cat engine or are there other reasons for that strange looking stretched and lifted nose? Wish I could take a look under the A3s hood. Anyone got pics?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard, although I don't have any pigs of the little ugly duckling, I do have the manuals. When I start uploading manuals to the site, you want me to put those up here? Originally I wasn't becuase I figured no one had an -A3 but for the curious minds, I can upload them.

FSBruva

RDD- You're right about the N/A multis, but it also seems a large portion of those N/A were converted to tubros later. I only mention the difference because just saying its an A2 doesn't uniquely describe the powerplant.

Also, I forgot that the A3 has a roll bar attached to the frame that should lend some structural stability in the event of a roll-over.

Matt

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35 A3 manuals

Recovry4x4 said:
I do have the manuals. When I start uploading manuals to the site, you want me to put those up here?
Answer: yes, yes yes! :D
There sure is a lot to be looked at! I.e. how they get the air into the front tires (CTIS).
You know that if something can't be purchased it has to be built. That's what I did with my wheels and other stuff. ... and some human beings had to convert A2(s) into the first A3!
And humans make mistakes, i. e. creating such an uggly snout :shock: , and a bigger mistake not fixing it! :shock: :shock: :shock:
But as I said, I don't know the reasons.

Gerhard

M35A3 picture attached

3116 Cat, Allison 4-speed transmission, electronically controlled CTIS

More photos here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/30269727THfhDJcfRD

Shows all angles including engine compartment and closeup of wheels.

I know the tire/wheel issue has been beat to death but are these beadlock wheels actually available anywhere?

Attachments

M35A2

So let me see if I have got this right.

An M35A1 and 2 series truck can exist side by side right up until the A3 came into being? The main difference between the A1 and the A2 is the powerplant?

So if an M35A1 had the gas engine removed and replaced with a diesel, this would then make it an A2, or would it still be an A1 but with a diesel fitted?

There is a guy selling an A1 in the UK with a turbo diesel. Is this then still an A1 or is it an A2?

This is so confusing!!! :cookoo:

FSBruva

Hahahaha... almost there...

M35 = gasser
M35a1 = lds-427 multifuel (turbo, but kind of rare)
M35a2 = ld-465 multifuel (some are turbos, some are not - turbo has j-pipe, N/A has muffler)
M35a3 = cat diesel

In answer to your question, he has the LDS 427 turbo multifuel engine.

Matt

Boatcarpenter

Differences

Here is a pic of my Data Plate from the truck as built. A winch has been added and soon a dropside bed. Will it then be an M35a2c W/W or will it still be an M35a2 that has had a winch and dropside bed added? Guess that may be all in the eye of the beholder.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats wild! Someone screwed up on that one. As we all know the NSN for the M35A2 is 2320-00-077-1616

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks