• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different transfer case. Two speed ?

1951M1078

Someone posted this and it got me thinking.

http://www.marmon-herrington.com/t-30

What is the ratio in the AWD transfer case on the M1078 ?

I have asked for cost but have not heard back yet ? $$$$$$$ ?

Like all, I to am looking for better road speed or lower motor speed and maybe this would be the way to go ?
Could keep the axle ratio and just need to add the locker.

If its not to price (laugh) it also has a side effect of not having to drop the drive shafts to tow .

Ideas ?

ramdough

I would be curious what the cost of a crawler t case would be and what modifications would be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m37charlie

Ya,I just want a little help. 75 mph max and 60-65 cruse. Would also like to add cruse control.
Depending on tire type those kind of speeds could be very dangerous. With XMLs or XZLs blowouts can occur at speeds >60mph particularly if axle is heavily loaded and/or inflation even a bit low. My Unimog has XZLs (I have switched to XZL+ in the rear, they run a bit cooler). I have up to 8000kg on the rear axle and run at 95-102 psi on the highway, and set the cruise control at 57 mph (1860 rpm). Don't want a blowout, results can be disastrous.

Charlie

buffalorunner

Any word back yet on the price of these units? Seems like a great option to have a 2 speed transfer case, especially if it makes 65 mph a comfortable cruising speed. The idea of having a low range and being able to use all gears in the trans in low (instead of just relying on a low 1st gear) would be great as well.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Anything by marmon-herrington will be astronomical. Make sure you are sitting down when you get the answer.

coachgeo

Would require a whole new transmission Along with the Tcase unless Marmon-Herrington includes new ECU system that works with the existing tranny. As far as have been told by an Allison Guru no additional programming has been released.... and likely not exist at all, for the FMTV transmission(s).

Goes back to...... we need a tranny ECU hacker person.

Last edited:

buffalorunner

The Marmon Harrington MVG 1150 is designed to be mated to the 3000 series of Allison transmissions as an AWD 2 speed replacement. It is so close to size and shape of the original unit that the stock drive shafts could probably be used. Not only that, it uses the same mounts that are currently in the truck as well. I have a hard time imagining the transmission would no longer work.

coachgeo

The Marmon Harrington MVG 1150 is designed to be mated to the 3000 series of Allison transmissions as an AWD 2 speed replacement. It is so close to size and shape of the original unit that the stock drive shafts could probably be used. Not only that, it uses the same mounts that are currently in the truck as well. I have a hard time imagining the transmission would no longer work.
physically...... yes probably..... software wise... probably not. These will NOT run without software. You'd probably have to swap to a generic 3000 tranny and matching ECU (oops.. make that TCU) to get it to work. Then you have to get software to match that combo with engine then rewire the truck to use that ECU (if your engine has an ECU).

Granted that is worse case scenario (beside that the Tcase you speak of will cost potentially as much as your truck twice over)

Correction done.... miss spoke... trannies have TCU not ECU.

Last edited:

buffalorunner

My engine has a ground cable going to the block, that is pretty much it for electronics on a 3116 mechanical Kitty Cat. I assume the transmission has a controller of some kind (TCM = Transmission Control Module, ECU = Engine Control Unit), but since I am not an Allison Automatic Transmission SME, this is an assumption. I really would like to know the answer from a qualified SME.

No doubt the transfer case is expensive new from the dealer. But if the part is out in circulation, then it can be bought used / scrapped somewhere.

Last edited:

coachgeo

My engine has a ground cable going to the block, that is pretty much it for electronics on a 3116 mechanical Kitty Cat. I assume the transmission has a controller of some kind (TCM = Transmission Control Module, ECU = Engine Control Unit), but since I am not an Allison Automatic Transmission SME, this is an assumption. I really would like to know the answer from a qualified SME.

No doubt the transfer case is expensive new from the dealer. But if the part is out in circulation, then it can be bought used / scrapped somewhere.
That would be nice. Hope that is a potential. Maybe a Firetruck or Oil field Service truck ... Who knows. Be interesting to find out.

m37charlie

I had Acela look into it. The actual low range is 2.47, high still unfortunately 1.09. It needs to be built by order. $24k.
I don’t own a FMTV but have read the manual. The “Mode” button locks the center (and rear power splitter interaxle diff if 6x6) and allows selection of 1st gear, right? 1 option on the MH 1150 is 26/74 split AWD which I assume is lockable. If there’s a sensor it would probably work as long as TCU/ECU didn’t revolt at 2.47 speed reduction in low range.
Question to people with FMTVs that have actually been used off-road (hauler, camper, etc): 1) do they need at least rear Detroit Locker (answers gotta be affirmative based on my 51 years experience with 4x4s and 14 years with Unimog camper). 2) with a heavy load like a camper and 6.14s would a low range be helpful?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question to people with FMTVs that have actually been used off-road (hauler, camper, etc): 1) do they need at least rear Detroit Locker (answers gotta be affirmative based on my 51 years experience with 4x4s and 14 years with Unimog camper). 2) with a heavy load like a camper and 6.14s would a low range be helpful?
I'm not sure how you would really quantify "need". The locker makes the truck more capable, though only in more extreme situations than are typically encountered. The nature of these trucks means you don't generally go to as many of the more extreme places that you would with a Jeep, for example. The rest of the time (99%), the locker isn't doing anything.

Most of the time offroad, I don't even put mine in Mode... there's no need. That said, last year I did go ahead and install a rear locker when I was installing 3.07:1 gears, just because I already had the axles opened up.

Biggest thing I've learned about offroading my LMTV is that it's just a whole different set of challenges than Jeep/K5/etc. The available trails are naturally-evolved by the smaller vehicles that drive them most often. When you take an LMTV on those same trails, all the "challenges" for the Tacomas that you'll read about on a trail-rating report (e.g. shin-high rocks, fording knee deep water, ruts in mud holes, etc.) aren't even worth worrying about. However, you'll run into continuous features, that a Chevy pickup doesn't find worth mentioning, that will cause an LMTV a bunch of hassle (e.g. tippy terrain especially when it tips the top of the cab close to trees, "low"-hanging branches <10', tight switchbacks, narrow trails near the edge of steep hills/cliffs that the weight of an LMTV can cause to slide away under the outside tires, etc.).

m37charlie

I'm not sure how you would really quantify "need". The locker makes the truck more capable, though only in more extreme situations than are typically encountered. The nature of these trucks means you don't generally go to as many of the more extreme places that you would with a Jeep, for example. The rest of the time (99%), the locker isn't doing anything.

Most of the time offroad, I don't even put mine in Mode... there's no need. That said, last year I did go ahead and install a rear locker when I was installing 3.07:1 gears, just because I already had the axles opened up.

Biggest thing I've learned about offroading my LMTV is that it's just a whole different set of challenges than Jeep/K5/etc. The available trails are naturally-evolved by the smaller vehicles that drive them most often. When you take an LMTV on those same trails, all the "challenges" for the Tacomas that you'll read about on a trail-rating report (e.g. shin-high rocks, fording knee deep water, ruts in mud holes, etc.) aren't even worth worrying about. However, you'll run into continuous features, that a Chevy pickup doesn't find worth mentioning, that will cause an LMTV a bunch of hassle (e.g. tippy terrain especially when it tips the top of the cab close to trees, "low"-hanging branches <10', tight switchbacks, narrow trails near the edge of steep hills/cliffs that the weight of an LMTV can cause to slide away under the outside tires, etc.).
Thanks, but those characteristics are similar to my U500 camper, about 26k lb, 11’9” high, etc. But I have been in several situations where diff locks (when you’re actually stuck one wants rear AND front), CTIS and low range were needed. Working gears in the U500 are 5.76:1. Admittedly 1st is only 9.57 without a torque converter.
I have contemplated a FMTV if my U500 got totaled and I survived it. But I’d want lockers at both ends and low range, I don’t go looking for trouble but my last stuck was just making a multipoint U turn on a dirt road in Ukraine and my rear tires went down the ~4’ loose gravel berm at about the angle of repose. It took all the gadgets except winch to recover.
Obviously my boo-boo.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, but those characteristics are similar to my U500 camper, about 26k lb, 11’9” high, etc. But I have been in several situations where diff locks (when you’re actually stuck one wants rear AND front), CTIS and low range were needed. Working gears in the U500 are 5.76:1. Admittedly 1st is only 9.57 without a torque converter.
I have contemplated a FMTV if my U500 got totaled and I survived it. But I’d want lockers at both ends and low range, I don’t go looking for trouble but my last stuck was just making a multipoint U turn on a dirt road in Ukraine and my rear tires went down the ~4’ loose gravel berm at about the angle of repose. It took all the gadgets except winch to recover.
Obviously my boo-boo.
You can always find a story where one was needed, my main point was that it's an edge case, and most of the time it's not needed. So for every 1000 LMTV owners out there, maybe 100 (10%) have a locker, and 1 of those (10% of 10%) have actually used it to get free. And it doesn't stop there, because someone will come along and tell a story about how they needed an excavator or tank recovery vehicle to get theirs out. Then someone will top that person and say that the excavator got stuck getting them out, and had to have a huge dozer pull all of that free.

So it's not really a question of "need", it's just a natural progression of capability. I haven't run into a situation that I would have been stuck without a locker, but everything else was fixed up pretty well so I got one when I had the opportunity. I haven't needed the winch yet either, but after I got the locker I went ahead and got a winch too. By the time you need any of that stuff, you probably need a bunch of it, and it's hard to know exactly which thing would have been the smartest investment.

Ronmar

Interesting idea, missed this thread in my reading. Replacing a 3070PT transfer with this 2 speed transfer would I think sacrifice the very low first gear which comes from the P6 clutch located at the rear of the upper transfer housing, braking/tying the last sun gear in the main trans to the case via a hollow transmission output shaft. So you would have 2nd thru 7th(the normal 6 core speeds of the 3000 series) applied to the 2 speed gearbox which would get you a little higher 6th speed and I think a little lower 1st ration when in the lower gear. But $24K, wow!

unless you are doing something to lower the driveshaft angle though, you really want to increase speed thru the differentials to lower driveshaft RPM...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks