• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dirtbag XI

JDToumanian

ps, beautiful clear blue skies ..........
You mean brown skies... According to AccuWeather.com:

"VISIBILITY: NEAR ZERO IN THE DESERTS DUE BLOWING DUST AND SAND."

"WINDS: WEST WINDS INCREASING TO 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 65 MPH FOR THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE ON THE DESERT SLOPES OF THE MOUNTAINS AND ADJACENT DESERT AREAS. WINDS DECREASING LATE TONIGHT."

Friday and beyond looks okay, cold with a small possibility of rain. I'll probably come out Friday, but if it's really going to rain I may just go for the day on Saturday. I'm really a fair-weather camper...:cool:

Jon

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weather isn't an issue with the M109, but sadly it looks like I'm not going to have it running so I'll be coming out in a car. This means I'll be there Friday if it isn't raining or Saturday and will probably just stay for the day to do a little cleanup.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weather isn't an issue with the M109, but sadly it looks like I'm not going to have it running so I'll be coming out in a car. This means I'll be there Friday if it isn't raining or Saturday and will probably just stay for the day to do a little cleanup.

What parts do you need?

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What parts do you need?
Not even sure it is "parts" at this point unless I scrap the current plans and go back to a gen and voltage regulator. I have the new alt installed and put on the 60A alt conversion kit, but the alt and kit don't seem to jive as far as the way things are said to connect and electrical troubleshooting is not my strong suit. Wireing up new stuff I'm good with, but finding out why I can't make this work is driving me nuts.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gawd I love my one wire alt. I have the wiring diagram blown up and laminated - makes it easy to trace right to the problem. Deuce charging system is pretty simple, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's kinda my problem, have a new 1 wire alt, but it doesn't jive with the wires I have. I can hot wire the truck to get it running (using power to the small wire they say you don't need) but output doesn't seem correct and gauges are screwy.

armytruck63

Here's an idea: Pull start it, unplug the power wire to the electric in-tank fuel pump, and drive it in the daylight with the headlights off (and don't stall). You should have plenty of battery to get from Palm Springs to Camp DB.

Maybe if you bring all of your parts someone out there (Hundy or WWI) can get if figured out for you.

Last edited:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an idea: Pull start it, uplug the power wire to the electric in-tank fuel pump, and drive it in the daylight with the headlights off (and don't stall). You should have planty of battery to get from Palm Springs to Camp DB.

Maybe if you bring all of your parts someone out there (Hundy or WWI) can get if figured out for you.
Not my idea of fun to drive a 45 yr old truck without a working oil pressure gauge. Sure I might make it on the batteries and could certainly recharge them once there anyway off my generator...but don't like risking exploding the motor if something else went wrong and I didn't know until it was too late.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this point I'm going to just drive up in my car tomorrow and spend the day cleaning up, might spend the night but sleeping in the Saturn doesn't have the same allure as the combat camper. Just have the feeling that if I try to make it up there in the truck it will turn into a nightmare with me broken down somewhere, not a fun prospect.

But still going as I have some new cleanup tools that need to be played with...just won't be able to reload the food for the tools like I can in the M109.

JDToumanian

Hey Carp- once started, the only electrical loads are brake lights (when you push the pedal), the gauges, and the electric fuel pump.

The gauges use virtually no power. I would drive the truck with the electric fuel pump unplugged but with the ignition switch on, so your gauges work. DRIVE THAT SUCKA.

As stated, it can probably be repaired while you're out there but even if it can't, there's plenty of battery power for a few starts and running the gauges for the trip back home.... Just put the batteries on a charger when you get back.

Jon

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Carp- once started, the only electrical loads are brake lights (when you push the pedal), the gauges, and the electric fuel pump.

The gauges use virtually no power. I would drive the truck with the electric fuel pump unplugged but with the ignition switch on, so your gauges work. DRIVE THAT SUCKA.

As stated, it can probably be repaired while you're out there but even if it can't, there's plenty of battery power for a few starts and running the gauges for the trip back home.... Just put the batteries on a charger when you get back.

Jon
Ditto. I'm sure someone out there can sort it out for you quickly.

:driver:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess no one read that my gauges DON'T work, which is the reason I won't make that drive. Recharging the batteries wouldn't be an issue since I have a gen, but driving with gauges like temp and oil not working correctly is not something I'm willing to do.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess no one read that my gauges DON'T work, which is the reason I won't make that drive. Recharging the batteries wouldn't be an issue since I have a gen, but driving with gauges like temp and oil not working correctly is not something I'm willing to do.
Why yes, your guess is correct, I missed the NOT WORKING part. My bad. If you swapped your genny for a one wire alt and now none of your gauges work, something went wrong. Probably something very simple (like something is grounded that shouldn't be)

If you don't get it sorted out soon, LMK and I'll stop over and see if I can help (or screw it up worse).

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to see how yours is hooked up as the instructions I got simply don't work with the cables I have. (instuctions say alt is connected to starter relay, but I have no such cable on the truck and that wouldn't use the cables that I do have)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck had an alt when I got it, but I switched to George's dual alt kit. I simply hooked the alt main wire back up and used the exciter wire to control the relay for my 12 volt system.

Like I said, I have the wire diagram blown way up and laminated, I can bring it by and we can chase wires until we figure it out.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick note: last nite it was downright COLD & BREZZY! Right after sundown the temps dropped about 15 degrees and it felt like Old Man Winter was back with a vengence. So for those not yet on the road or just leaving out this afternoon, I highly reccomend bringing plenty of keep warm gear e., g., Carharts, hoodies, woolies, maybe long-johns and insulated-whatevers.

Really a surprising cold snap here when just a day or two ago it was t-shirt weather... hope to see ya'll Saturday![thumbzup]