• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

disabling a deuce.... do you?

goldneagle

I am sure you can paint over them....scuff them up with sandpaper and use Crylon Fusion Camo paint. I left mine alone for now..Doesn't bother me to have them chrome. They are not teft proof, but do keep honest people from doing stupid things! I have a kill lever lock setup I made myself and a also use the chain to lock the steering wheel. Hood has padlocks on it so no one can easily disconnect the fuel kill lever. 4 padlock of 6 lock set all keyed alike. Other two locks will go on the gas cap and storage compartment under driver. :grd: [thumbzup]

MilitaryRestoration

floridian - good idea but i'd be afraid of weakening the shaft and my luck would pull it from the inside and break it off hehe just my 2cents.... fortunately crawling around on now my m37 but was fathers since i was born, i knew to never touch stuff unless he was there but always played in/on/around it like a tree fort :) however i did manage to drive the mothers car into the neighbors yard and about a foot from inside their living room ;-) haha oops! but just remember whatever you do, kids will be kids and curiosity always takes over even when you thing you're a step ahead

I also heard that the door handles with the locks from the old Unimog fit perfectly, and look almost like the original deuce part (and are not chromed...).
Might be hard to come by without the mog hanging on them, though...

I have a big battery-cut out switch waiting to be installed, so right now I just pull the starter connector and disconnect the battery. Wheel chocks are mandatory.

Alex400

taylordc15 said:
I installed a keyed battery disconnect switch, cut a hole in the battery box and mounted it so I can insert the key and connect the battery with out having to open anything up.
My dad did something similar with his Ford pickup. He put the battery switch between the starter solenoid and the starter. When it's off and you turn the key, all it does is click, like the battery is dead. We also put one on the battery to just kill everything. Helps if we have to let it sit for a long time. He works at a commercial marine supply store, so we used heavy duty marine grade battery switches.

K45

I know working for the DOT we had the master cut off switches for the battery. This help to prevent any power drains on the system along with theft problems. An addition ignition switch is an idea as well. You couuld always do like the police and build you a big boot like they give to parking violators and keep the key. :razz:

williamh

i just disconnect the battery .... i don't think that they are going to push start it :p

if your really worried just buy one of those commercial battery disconnects that use a key ... most large equipment places use them . they should be available from napa or places like that .. or you could go to the cat dealership ... they should have some.

Srjeeper

Here's what I put on the ground side of mine to keep things safe. When the green knob is unscrewed the connection is broken, which turns everything off. It also saves the batteries when not in use. Check it out at Frank's Surplus on e-bay $9.95 and they're great people to deal with also.

Attachments

On mine you really have to know where the starter is since it got painted and hides out of view next to the steering column support... I just leave a wrench in the battery box and pull the ground; plus the usual chock the tires... Not going anywhere...