• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disconnecting the fording kit on a M923...

TacticalDoc

This will be down all side roads. top speed will be about 30 to 35 mph

EDIT
Reason for tow is that I added fluid to the trans and over filled it. Don't want to drive it until its changed

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This will be down all side roads. top speed will be about 30 to 35 mph

EDIT
Reason for tow is that I added fluid to the trans and over filled it. Don't want to drive it until its changed
I did the same thing. Go to Walmart and buy one of the small hand transfer pumps and stick the suction hose down the fill tube on the transmission. Suck the excess out. The transmission must be at operating temp to show the correct level.

Mine didn't blow fluid out when it was overfull. Is this the truck you posted about the fording kit malfunction continuously pressurizing the transmission?

The air system has to be pressurized to release the spring brakes and operate the service brakes. You don't want a continuous air leak if you are towing it. Is the fording kit continuously leaking or venting air?

RAYZER

Would it be possible for you to fix the few issues (where it sits)that's keeping you from just driving this truck to your house instead of going through all the hassle and expense of getting it towed?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me, rather than go through all the work and trouble of towing it 25 miles, I would just drain some out where it sits now.

TacticalDoc

I did the same thing. Go to Walmart and buy one of the small hand transfer pumps and stick the suction hose down the fill tube on the transmission. Suck the excess out. The transmission must be at operating temp to show the correct level.

Mine didn't blow fluid out when it was overfull. Is this the truck you posted about the fording kit malfunction continuously pressurizing the transmission?

The air system has to be pressurized to release the spring brakes and operate the service brakes. You don't want a continuous air leak if you are towing it. Is the fording kit continuously leaking or venting air?
The fording kit is zip tied closed but I cant tell if it is still sending pressure. And, I don't know how to tell. When it gets up to temp and I shut it off it starts to over flow then spit up oil from the trans. I tried draining some from the pan and filling it up but cant seem to get the right level. Someone told me to drive it with the dip stick out and let it drain out but I don't want to risk it. I want to tow it somewhere and get completely serviced. I'll have all the filters and fluids changed.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was me, I would plug the supply line for the fording kit, thereby eliminating one possible cause.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why? If you connect why brake lines and take it slow it will track behind and a deuce has the torque to pull it. I would not do it down the interstate. But I would on country roads.
If the front tire on the heaver tow was to blow it would take the Deuce for a ride. If the front end of the heaver tow was to hit a good bump and become light the stearing could cock to one side and take the Deuce for a ride. We don't need that kinda Press or loosing the right to have a MV on the road.

TacticalDoc

Would it be possible for you to fix the few issues (where it sits)that's keeping you from just driving this truck to your house instead of going through all the hassle and expense of getting it towed?

If I knew how to I would but I don't want to risk ruining the trans. I figure it's better to spend a little extra to get it done right.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I knew how to I would but I don't want to risk ruining the trans. I figure it's better to spend a little extra to get it done right.
Hey Doc,
If that's how ya feel, then get tech to come out to truck. Costs more but done right. Or hire towing company and have truck brought to service. Again more expensive but done right. Would is "possible" isn't always "right". Have to try and take safety, yours, the trucks, and other people into consideration. I wouldn't want to be responsible if something went wrong and it ended up in an "Oh #@it" moment.
God bless
Tony

TacticalDoc

Hey Doc,
If that's how ya feel, then get tech to come out to truck. Costs more but done right. Or hire towing company and have truck brought to service. Again more expensive but done right. Would is "possible" isn't always "right". Have to try and take safety, yours, the trucks, and other people into consideration. I wouldn't want to be responsible if something went wrong and it ended up in an "Oh #@it" moment.
God bless
Tony

I agree...just need to find someone to tow it or come and fix it. Would rather have someone come and change the trans filters and fluid.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your description of the problem, I doubt the problem is in the transmission other than too much fluid.

The yellow pages would be a good place to find a towing company and also an Alison repair shop.

On the other hand, you could try re-reading this thread and take some of the suggestions offered. I would start with disconnecting the air to the fording kit. If you can't figure that out, pull all the vent hoses off the transmission and plug the one that has air coming out.

I drove my truck 50 miles at highway speed while it was over filled and it didn't hurt it. You are only going 35mph, so either drain or suck some fluid out if you are worried about it. Getting the fluid out is EASY.

Good luck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your description of the problem, I doubt the problem is in the transmission other than too much fluid.

The yellow pages would be a good place to find a towing company and also an Alison repair shop.

On the other hand, you could try re-reading this thread and take some of the suggestions offered. I would start with disconnecting the air to the fording kit. If you can't figure that out, pull all the vent hoses off the transmission and plug the one that has air coming out.

I drove my truck 50 miles at highway speed while it was over filled and it didn't hurt it. You are only going 35mph, so either drain or suck some fluid out if you are worried about it. Getting the fluid out is EASY.

Good luck.
There is a Allison dealer in Lakeland . I'm sure they can arrange to have it towed.
TransDiesel of Central Florida
1310 George Jenkins Blvd
Lakeland, FL 33815
Phone: (863) 688-5881 * Fax (863) 688-5791

TacticalDoc

Good luck.

I'll be home Monday and I plan on putting a ball valve on the fording kit. Then I'll shut that off to see if it still forces air out of the dip stick. If not I'll check the level and drive it to the trans shop. If that doesn't work I'll leave the dip stick out and drive it to the trans shop checking the levels as I drive. Or I'll just have it towed.

TacticalDoc

I finally got to work on my truck and blocking the fording kit. There are only 2 hoses that seem to be on a ball valve connected to the lever inside the cab. So, I added my own ball valve to those hoses. It turns out that one of the hoses is just a drain and the other goes to the horn. I started her up and pressure still build up in the trans then it spitsout oil and when I shut it off it pours oil out.

These are pictures of the fording kit and the ball valves I add. I'm not sure what else I can block off. Does anyone know what other hoses should be blocked to prevent the trans from being pressurized?

IMG_0611.jpgIMG_0613.jpg

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this, pull the drain plug on the transmission and dump the fluid. See how much comes out; it should be about 4 gallons. If there's a lot more than 4 gallons, that might be your problem.

Next, if you can drain the transmission and get the plug back in before the air leaks down great, if not, you can hook up a compressor to the emergency glad hand on the front and pressurize the air system and see if air still comes out of the transmission. Do NOT start the engine with no fluid in the transmission.

Put the fluid back in it. If you want to get new fluid, this is what I used. It has the Allison C-4 spec.

IMG_3518.jpgIMG_3519.jpg

Follow the fill directions in the TM. I don't remember exactly, but I believe you fill it until it just shows on the dip stick. Then you have to warm it up and shift through the gears (read the TM) and check the fluid level when the transmission is at operating temperature. Some dip sticks have a cold fill line, mine did not. If you fill it to the add oil mark when it's cold, it will be over full when it's at operating temperature.

Does it puke out fluid if there is no air pressure? Open the emergency glad hand so the truck doesn't build air pressure and see what happens.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've merged 3 threads covering the same issue so we don't need to repeat the same info.

TacticalDoc

Tow4...I opened the glad hands and it seemed to prevent the over pressuring and the oil doesn't spit out any more even when I shut it down. Prior to doing this I tried to dis connect all the lines at the point where the fording lever attaches to all the hoses in the picture. The only thing I didn't disconnect is the short line going to the top of the motor. in the picture.

I looked up and posted on those threads already in the past. And, checked the TM. That's why I'm doing what I'm doing but its not working. So, this problem seems specific to my vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks