• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disenchanted with m1009, Rather have an M880!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you know it really pisses me off when other people talk **** about different branches of the military, i have respect for all branches we all had a different job to do and should respect everyone... Just my thoughts...:deadhorse:
Haters. Some folks curse the Air Force until they need something half way around the world in 18 hours then the flyboys are their friends. Each branch has it's tasks and resposibilities and to that end, perks. One knows going in what they are headed for. They are all hero's in my book. This coming from the son of a sailor, the brother of a jarhead and the husband of an Air Force Iraqi war veteran.

Elwenil

On the subject of the M880s and Dodge truck in general, I personally love them and while they do have their quirks, they are easily overcome. Everyone has their preference as to which brand or model is "best" but what it boils down to is what is best for them. I have been a Mopar guy all my life and I stick with what I know. I have also been a mechanic, restorer and fabricator for a long time so I've gotten a pretty good handle on what the other makes have to offer and I still stick with my Mopars.

On the M880 specifically, they are good trucks for sure but as I said, they do have their quirks. As much as I love Dodge trucks, I do not like the full time 4WD system used from '75 ('74 for the Ramcharger) to '79. The D44 with it's odd front bearings is weaker than the more conventional spindle setup used in prior and later years. The NP203 is a good strong transfer case and part time conversion kits are available but are generally not worth the money it costs as there is little to gain. Like Kenny said, the M880s are cheap and simple to operate and maintain as are any of the Dodge trucks from that era. I agree that it shouldn't be very hard to find someone willing to swap an M880 for a M1009 since Dodge has ever been the underdog and GM vehicles are always popular. If an M880 is not available, you can always go with a civilian version and militarize it to your liking which is what I am slowly doing with my '88 Ramcharger. To me there is no better vehicle on the planet. There are more powerful trucks and some that are better at specific things but for my uses a Ramcharger is ideal and the few things that fall short, like the 1/2 ton axles, get replaced with better or stronger parts. If you decide to go with M880 or similar '72-'93 Dodge truck there is plenty of info here on the military versions and tons more info on the stock civilian models over at RamchargerCentral.com

math1960

Elwenil, Amen brother! At my last overseas assignment, the sp's all used RamChargers. They were militarized. I don't know what their military designation number was, but I've been looking around for any on GL and the web. No joy though. Any info please post.

Wally

Elwenil

To my knowledge there never was a military version of the Ramcharger done under a normal contract like the M880 series. I have seen a few Ramchargers that were purchased as civilian models that were outfitted for use by the military as base security or something similar but nothing tactical. The only thing tactical based on a Ramcharger was the Cadillac Gage Peacemaker/Ranger APC which was a fully armored version with the same basic shape and Dodge running gear.

math1960

Oh, by the way the National Guard guys told me that the Army was using a corrosive anti-freeze on the m1008's and m1009's a few years ago. They suggested that I change that right away. They also said that the main seal on the GM's were known for going out fairly often, and with mine setting up I may want to do some preventative maintenance on that as well. They gave me the latest manuals as of 2008 on disk. If anyone wants a copy let me know. They seem to be pretty much the same as whats in the resources section.
The Guard mechanics also said that the state was selling off a number of m1008 and m1009's this fall. They are keeping some for hurricane relief but the majority will be sold. From what I saw theirs are VERY WELL maintained.

Elwenil

I think people need to understand any 25 year old vehicle is going to be a money pit.
I disagree. My '74 W100 and '74 W200 were two of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I beat the crap out of the W100 rock crawling, swapped in a big block 383, bobbed the bed, wheeled the **** out of it and the only broken part was one front axle joint. The W200 was a work truck, formerly a plow truck all it's life and it was also very reliable. It had been sitting unused for 6 years before I bought it and I put a master cylinder and rear brake shoes on it and drove it. I can't count how many loads of wood piled to the roof of the cab that truck hauled. They just don't make them the way the used to, lol. Trucks that have been well maintained or are just plain tough from the beginning will last and not be a money pit. Early to mid-'80s vehicles are particularly bad regardless of brand due to the many systems used to balance out emissions and drivability that are now all going bad with age and mileage.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Math1960: I like your avatar! I finished up my Air Force career at Offutt, and if that patch applies anywhere, that is the place! It didn't take much to find yourself in the position illustrated! Can you send me one of those patches???

TIGERFANS2

Sorry i can't help getting into this...
Chevy has not made anything good since 1972 unless it came in OD green, but really, taking the advice for an air force mech. is like asking Mr. Brady about the new 686 Smith and Wesson. If it didn't have A/C and power seats and windows its JUNK. I work with a bunch of Ex Chair force guys and i cant get over there stories about the housing they had and the inconveniences they had to endure like the soft serve ice-cream machine that was broke that one day in boot camp.
I am in the same boat in some ways, the m1008 i have is a Heep o' rusty shi=, but the m1009 i have is all good. It does need paint, but i use it as a patrol vech so it is sort of cool when rednecks get pulled of buy it and after the citation ask all about it.
Hey old salt, you sound almost bitter, you didn't happen to spend too many nighttime cruises with your head stuck out the portal while your buddies had fun 'round back did you? :wink:

1008Newbie

I remember being in the Army and visiting the Kaiserslautern AF mess hall. They had revolving desert trays! A big glass case full of different pies and cakes and you could leave your trays on your table and someone was paid to pick it up! Needless to say my buddies and I made many more visits to the AF mess hall after that. It was like eating out or something.

Rich Johnson

I am interested in an 882 I found to use as a regular truck untill I get a job and can get a loan for something better. I need a truck, my f-150 tranny died a horrible death but served me a good 260k miles. Im tired of driving my M38a1 long ways on the freeway in a suit for interviews.

This 882 has 58k miles, original owner after military.
Has a new radiator, brakes, calipers and tires, and new steering box.
Has the typical rust at the forward corner bottom of each door, but the top front corner of each side of the roof also has a crack and cancer.
Truck runs darn good, fired right up and sounds great. Has a completely seperate 24v system and HAD a rack for radios in the bed that he took out.
Bad thing is the ignition switch quit so he wired up a switch and button and abandoned the keyed ignition.
Also, does not have the 3 lever switch like other 880s I have seen.
Has troop seats and the 4 antenna brackets on the sides.
Does this truck sound like its worth $1850

jimm1009

K-town was unique as it had the visitors from all over Europe of all branches and is the major care facility for Europe.
I made two trips there myself and was thinking that I was actually back in a paying resteraunt far away from Uncle Sam.
Stuttgart '88 to '90.
Back on topic...I have put about 200,000 miles on my M1009 since I rescued it from Uncle in 1995 and have replaced a few things here and there but I guess it all depends on how Uncle treated it and where it served it's time.
If it ran round in the sand in the middle east then there will be a lot of worn parts for sure plus the salt air treatment x 2 shipping to and from the US.
Mine is terminally ill with cancer being from Texas but went to Desert Storm where it sat on the side lines and then shipped back home and went up for sale shortly after that.
Post your issues and perhaps someone can help or guide you in the right direction. :beer:
jimm1009

Last edited:

N1265

Does it have the bows and the cargo cover ? If it does then I would say it is worth the $1,800 for sure.

If not, then it would depend on if the wiring was hacked up, how good the interior is and what all it need to be reliable ( brakes , hoses, tires ect. )

ABN173

I think people need to understand any 25 year old vehicle is going to be a money pit.
It's a matter of perspective. For example if you buy a 2010 Dodge Ram Truck how much is your payment going to be each month? $500-700 I bet.

I'm sure the upkeep on a M1009 is not that high. I can tell you that after my last PCS move across the country I spent over 5k on my Dodge Durango as it needed a engine rebuild and rebuilt injectors.

Wanna guess what I have had to spend on my M1008 in the past 14 months? (yes, it's my primary vehicle/daily ride)
Less than $100 and that was for two oil changes (parts/oil), some JB Weld to fix a over flow nipple on a radiator, and a replacement headlight.

I spent about the same on my old M1009 and that was for a replacement rear window that broke due to cold temps and broken plastic roller on window crank arm.

-Dale

Last edited:

Rich Johnson

Yes the 882 has all the troop seats, and bows, and three new tops, two brand new. the interior is very good, and the rest of the drive train seems in good shape. New brakes and tires, new radiator. All thats mission is the 2 24v batteries, and he dissconected the wires from the 24v alternator.
It even has the big radio rack for the back.