• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you need a working in tank FUEL pump??

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys ARE NOT going to believe it. I FOUND the company that makes the in tank fuel pump and they are STILL in business and STILL selling the pumps!! I'm so stoked.

I just spoke with Jim OShea at Olympic Controls company who bought out Tokheim in 1999. Here is their web page. I'm posting the link to the EXACT PAGE that shows OUR fuel pump. If you want to peruse their site here is the website.

http://www.occorp.com/?page=Pumps

Mr. OShea is the engineer for this company. I will have to speak to the marketing people. They 'shy away' from selling to the public. They are NOT set up to handle returns, etc.

He did say they might be willing to sell us their pumps, but it would help if we had only one contact point and one order point. I will volunteer for this OR will gladly turn it over to someone else.

Mr. OShea said the pumps run approximately $200 (ish) but it is UP to the marketing people to decide the overall cost.

I look at this like buying a set of tires for my deuce. I purchase them ONCE and then will NEVER need to buy another set. Granted, you can find a cheaper pump somewhere else. Doubtful that it will be an in tank pump or that it will be 24v. I REALLY doubt that it will fit the bracketry we have in our fuel tanks.

THESE GUYS are IT for the pumps. As a side note, did you know the Bradley fighting vehicle has SIX of these pumps in it?

So, it would be nice that no one else contact them until I hear from the marketing people and find out how they want to handle this. Hey, maybe we could do a 'group purchase' type of thing? I'm easy. I just don't want to 'piss off' the original source of our fuel pump manufacturer.

Once I hear from them, I'll post what the marketing people have decided.

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These pumps are very rugged units with a magnetic coupling between the sealed motor and the moving vane part.
Do a thourough inspection of what you have before giving up on the old one.
Remember that the entire fuel tank (fuel level sending unit too) are grounded via one single wire from the pump connector to the frame.

Good find, Jim, but the cost may not be acceptable to many of us and the mounting frame with all the hook-ups may be extra.
I'll keep an eye on this as well.

Dieselsmoke

Someone on the MV list talked with this company about five years ago and they weren't willing to do any civilian sales for less than $475 each. Things may have changed since then.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, apparently I've NOT been real clear about this. I ASKED Mr. OShea if they would sell us JUST the motor as a part. NOT the whole in tank unit. He said he thought they would.

That means if YOU don't have an 'in tank fuel pump' AT ALL, this won't work for you. IF you have a non functioning motor, this deal will work for you.

Now, if you NEED the complete in tank fuel motor, bracketry, etc, then perhaps a call to an MV salvage yard is more in order. You never know, you might actually get a working motor.

The conversation I had with Olympic was simply can we purchase JUST the motor as a part. I was given an affirmative with the proviso that the marketing guys give their thumbs up.

Mr. OShea said he figured APPROXIMATELY $200 for just the motor. He said they were coming off the line as we spoke. SO, I'm just waiting for the marketing people to contact me. If I don't hear from them by next Monday, I'll try calling again.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

jim

Gatnom

I would like to have a “new” motor/pump assembly to put in my tank and get it back to OEM, but the prices for new ones are too high for me given the available options out there. If you shop around, you can buy 2 or more 24v in line pumps for the same money. I would hesitate at buying a used one, I’ve been through several. Each time the pumps quit after not having them too long. I’ve ground the split line on the motors to open them up and in every one the brushes were shot, and the armature damaged to the point of not being worth the aggravation of trying to repair. Also, the pump motor is pressurized with an inert gas which would be next to impossible replace. I’ve come to the conclusion that most removed pumps were probably removed for a reason, and have way too much run time on them to take a chance on. I thought about contacting Olympic when this came up last year http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=512&highlight=tank but decided not to do it at the $225 price (check out the post by jerrym35a2 on page 3). Maybe a group purchase would get some kind of discount. There sure seems to be a demand with all the worn out pumps out there. Something else to check, I have found that the adhesive used to hold the drive magnets in place in these old pumps has deteriorated and the magnet spins in the pump housing not turning the pump. So, just because you hear the motor running does not mean it is pumping fuel. The pump magnet can be accessed to re-glue with modern adhesives, but you can’t get to the one in the motor. You can pull the pump and do a visual, but the only way to be sure your moving fuel is to put a pressure gauge on the line that you can keep an eye on. This would be a good filter condition indicator as well. I will be watching this post as well with interest in the final price. Dave

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Olympic part number is 10946915. They don't sell it just as the motor. Dave Armond (ext 224) just called me back. He's from sales and marketing department.

The price IS $225, BUT they ONLY sell the pump itself, NOT just the motor.

I realize that a tad high, BUT if you've talked to anyone else who has a new one, you KNOW that they start about $300 and go up, depending upon whom you talk to.

I promised Dave that we would 'get our act together' and decide who was going to place the order, so they didn't have to deal with a dozen different phone calls from different people.

So, if you want one, STEP UP TO THE BAR and lay yo money down. As I said earlier, I would happily be the contact point, OR would also just as happily turn this over to someone else.

Again, I realize that $225 is a lot of money, but like I said, it IS the correct part for your truck. If you've owned it for any time at all you know as well as I do that parts for these beasts are NOT cheap.

I'll happily send anyone my phone number if you either pm or email me if you want to talk to me.

jim

Gatnom

Jim I think that the $225 has to be for the complete pump/motor assembly rather than the pump itself. The pump is detached from the motor by removing four screws and is not what usually wears out. I just want to make sure we're all clear on what our dollars would be paying for! Thanks for all your effort! Dave

Earl_Beverly

kcgonzo has an in tank fuel pump up for sale on EBAY... or at least he has a picture of one. He sold me a set of M-35 mirrors, neEBAY SCAM …

“kcgonzo” kcgonzo@aol.com

Aka;
B. J. Matyniak
1000 Big Oak Road
Smyrna, De. 29977
Phone 302-740-7506

KCGONZO (B.J. Matyniak) sold me a set of mirrors for an M-35 back on August 23, 2005.
To date – no mirrors. It’s only $182.88. I can afford the loss, but I’m just
not that easy! I will PERSONALLY go see him. No threat at all… I just want to watch him squirm…
I searched google and found similar hits of non-shipped items to customers or
customers who were shipped junk.

Deal with “kcgonzo” only if you care not for your money!
How many dis-honest deals does “kcgonzo” need to do to qualify for law enforcement attention.

E-mail me at (earlbeverly@gmail.com) if you have similar documentable problems with kcgonzo. I will compile and forward. Maybe we can shine a light on this guy.

I am;
Earl Beverly
Pob 700
4681 FM 2666
Shepherd, Texas 77371
Phone 713-828-1690
earlbeverly@gmail.com
ver delivered, then used the same picture to sell again. I got his number and called... he said he had several sets and just used the same photo. Still no mirrors for me... Here is the scoop;

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earl,
Check your email. I sent you a guy that sold me a set of mirrors. His name is Frank and he owns Franks Surplus. He is a new SS member and though computer challenged, I am trying to get him to start posting some of his stuff over here as well as on ebay.

Thx for the heads up about kcgonzo. You just saved me a lot of misery. Here's the ebay link for Franks mirrors.

jim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MILI...046460546QQcategoryZ33649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had nothing but good dealings with kcgonzo, don't care much for babyonebaby's extra shipping charges....don't like to deal with him for that reason.

Lets move these posts to another heading, they don't belong here.

Also,I don't think this site should become a selling outlet for parts.