• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you pay tonnage with collector plates? (WA state)

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at registering my new M813 in my name and it currently has collector plates for my state (WA) which never expire. I'm expecting to have to pay the one time collector plate fee under my name and probably not physically change the license plate, but that leaves me wondering about tonnage.

I hear tonnage would be a one time fee also for a collector vehicle, and here's what I would like to confirm; fellow MV enthusiasts at work say if I pay tonnage then I am exempt from bumper height lift laws which may be an issue if I ever go 16R20s. What are your thoughts?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at registering my new M813 in my name and it currently has collector plates for my state (WA) which never expire. I'm expecting to have to pay the one time collector plate fee under my name and probably not physically change the license plate, but that leaves me wondering about tonnage.

I hear tonnage would be a one time fee also for a collector vehicle, and here's what I would like to confirm; fellow MV enthusiasts at work say if I pay tonnage then I am exempt from bumper height lift laws which may be an issue if I ever go 16R20s. What are your thoughts?

How do you plan to use the vehicle ?

Enter search terms

Print
RCWs > Title 46 > Chapter 46.18 > Section 46.18.220

46.18.215 << 46.18.220 >> 46.18.2201

RCW 46.18.220

Collector vehicle license plates.

(1) A registered owner may apply to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director for a collector vehicle license plate for a motor vehicle or travel trailer that is at least thirty years old. The motor vehicle must be operated primarily as a collector vehicle and be in good running order. The applicant for the collector vehicle license plate shall:
(a) Purchase a registration for the motor vehicle or travel trailer as required under chapters 46.16A and 46.17 RCW; and
(b) Pay the special license plate fee established under RCW 46.17.220(1)(f), in addition to any other fees or taxes required by law.
(2) A person applying for a collector vehicle license plate may:
(a) Receive a collector vehicle license plate assigned by the department; or
(b) Provide an actual Washington state issued license plate designated for general use in the year of the vehicle's manufacture.
(3) Collector vehicle license plates:
(a) Are valid for the life of the motor vehicle or travel trailer;
(b) Are not required to be renewed; and
(c) Must be displayed on the rear of the motor vehicle or travel trailer.
(4) A collector vehicle registered under this section may only be used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving.
(5) Collector vehicle license plates under subsection (2)(b) of this section may be transferred from one vehicle to another vehicle described in subsection (1) of this section upon application to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director.
(6) Any person who knowingly provides a false or facsimile license plate under subsection (2)(b) of this section is subject to a traffic infraction and fine in an amount equal to the monetary penalty for a violation of RCW 46.16A.200(7)(b). Additionally, the person must pay for the cost of a collector vehicle license plate as listed in RCW 46.17.220(1)(f), unless already paid.
[ 2015 c 200 § 3. Prior: 2011 c 243 § 1; 2011 c 171 § 70; 2010 c 161 § 617.]
NOTES:
Effective date2015 c 200: See note following RCW 46.16A.428.

Effective date2011 c 243 § 1: "Section 1 of this act takes effect August 1, 2011." [ 2011 c 243 § 3.]

IntentEffective date2011 c 171: See notes following RCW 4.24.210.

Effective dateIntentLegislation to reconcile chapter 161, Laws of 2010 and other amendments made during the 2010 legislative session2010 c 161: See notes following RCW 46.04.013.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the links Porkysplace. I will use it for everything listed under number 4 - parades, car shows, and pleasure driving.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the links Porkysplace. I will use it for everything listed under number 4 - parades, car shows, and pleasure driving.
I see they are pretty vague on section 1b. [in addition to any other fees or taxes required by law.]

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To register as a collector vehicle, the vehicle needs to be registered already.

To register you need to pay the appropriate weight fees.

So you wind up paying the $$$ registration once, and then can convert to collector and pay the ~$56 for permanent. You likely can do it all in one shot, I paid the weight registration and came back ~360 days later and converted. (Registration is for 365 days, and expires before the end of the month so don't get burned with a registration that expired on the 3rd and try to convert on the 20th, it'll be expensive because you need a current registration.)

162tcat

Look into "farm exempt". That's how mine are registered in WA. You can still haul and tow with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

162tcat

Yes it does but I carry a trip permit with me and if I ever exceed that, which isn't very often, I just use the trip permit. It allows me to use my truck for what it was designed for. If you have collector vehicle plates and run up to Home Depot to get a pallet of blocks and get in an accident, then what? With Farm exempt plates, I'm well within what I'm registered for so my insurance is happy. I didn't give them an excuse to drop me or set myself up for other legal issues.

If you only plan on doing parades, car shows and the occasional Sunday drive without hauling anything in the bed then collect your vehicle is probably fine. But why limit yourself with such a big truck? Remember that buddy who always seems to need a hand moving? Or those weekend warrior projects the wife comes up with that require a Home Depot trip? Maybe it's time to pick up some firewood to get ready for winter?

Do your research but Farm exempt has been the best option to me.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Daniel4ball

I'm also in WA State in the middle of registering. New to me M923 only has SF97 with NO weight filled in. DOL issued me a WSP inspection for VIN but I will also need a Weight verification. Debating on final costs for different options and what I'll use it for. 25 mile range will work except for anything longer. I'd like to use it for other purposes of Collector plate within 25 miles so I'm torn. Time will tell. US6x4 good luck. Check out FB page for PSMVCC & SS if you have not already.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it does but I carry a trip permit with me and if I ever exceed that, which isn't very often, I just use the trip permit. It allows me to use my truck for what it was designed for. If you have collector vehicle plates and run up to Home Depot to get a pallet of blocks and get in an accident, then what? With Farm exempt plates, I'm well within what I'm registered for so my insurance is happy. I didn't give them an excuse to drop me or set myself up for other legal issues.

If you only plan on doing parades, car shows and the occasional Sunday drive without hauling anything in the bed then collect your vehicle is probably fine. But why limit yourself with such a big truck? Remember that buddy who always seems to need a hand moving? Or those weekend warrior projects the wife comes up with that require a Home Depot trip? Maybe it's time to pick up some firewood to get ready for winter?

Do your research but Farm exempt has been the best option to me.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
The trip permit seems like a nice option , here in michigan Historic plates have the same restrictions pretty much. Farm and log plates have a 150 mile limit , a lot of guys run these but it is a gamble , your suppose to have a farm and only haul your own stuff and log plates are only good to take logs to the mill , they consider firewood processed so that don't qualify. Plates for a deuce are $500 a year , we can get a 30 day tag but it doesn't allow hauling anything. And I happen to live in a county where the the state police train there Motor Carrier officers (D.O.T.).

Amer-team

Daniel, take your tech manual or go by a trucking outfit or solid waste facility and get a certified weight slip on your truck. I think last truck that I had a SF97 for, they looked at the bill of sale, SF97 and I had the manual with the weight and they did the job right then and there. Have another truck that needs license, don't have an SF97 or Bill of sale from the Government, unfortunately the guy died before taking care of this and the family can't find the paperwork. Will have to go through the lost title process, but have some mechanical to do before that happens. Have fun.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You WILL pay tonnage, and normal registration fees. THEN you apply for the collectors plate, or supply your own restored plate.

It's stupid, but you're basically paying one full year of full price reg, then another $40, then nothing , ever again.

They used to allow you to do pro-rated monthly weight fee/reg, but they disallowed that. I was looking ~$550 to get collector plates.. I drive it 2-3x a year, I just use trip permits.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, keep in mind, any time you start 'helping your buddy out', you're engaging in commerce, and require a CDL.

I had a nice conversation with a CVE guy.. If a friend asks me to buy him a slurpee while I was out, and I do, technically it becomes 'for hire', and the slurpee is cargo...and requires a CDL... lol

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You WILL pay tonnage, and normal registration fees. THEN you apply for the collectors plate, or supply your own restored plate.

It's stupid, but you're basically paying one full year of full price reg, then another $40, then nothing , ever again.

They used to allow you to do pro-rated monthly weight fee/reg, but they disallowed that. I was looking ~$550 to get collector plates.. I drive it 2-3x a year, I just use trip permits.
I was thinking this was the case. However, the truck already had collector plates on it when I bought it so do you think I can skip the 1st year business and just maintain the existing collector plates and just change them into my name?

I'll find out next week - good or bad...

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, keep in mind, any time you start 'helping your buddy out', you're engaging in commerce, and require a CDL.

I had a nice conversation with a CVE guy.. If a friend asks me to buy him a slurpee while I was out, and I do, technically it becomes 'for hire', and the slurpee is cargo...and requires a CDL... lol
I hadn't heard that in that extreme of a scenario. So what if my friend buys me the Slurpee? :)

aleigh

If a friend asks me to buy him a slurpee while I was out, and I do, technically it becomes 'for hire', and the slurpee is cargo...and requires a CDL... lol
To be "for hire" you would have to transport the slurpee for payment.

"[FONT=&quot]An authorized for-hire motor carrier transports passengers, regulated property or household goods owned by others for compensation." - DOT[/FONT]

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be "for hire" you would have to transport the slurpee for payment.

"An authorized for-hire motor carrier transports passengers, regulated property or household goods owned by others for compensation." - DOT
Correct. 'Here's 2$, can you get me a slurpee while you're out'? .. You're now carrying cargo and subject to CDL requirements.. lol

It was an extreme situation, but we were talking about LAW, with a guy whose entire job is to know commercial vehicle law and regulations. I was given similar scenarios when I called other states, to make sure I could drive through without a CDL. They all had similar scenarios. The one caveat is if I was doing it completely for free, and even then there were some questions, because if I was hauling something that wasn't mine, a case could be made that I was 'engaged in interstate commerce' because I was preventing it from entering the shipping 'market'...

I know, it's BS, but I probably had a good 8 hours of conversation with different commercial vehicle enforcement guys from different states...

Keep in mind that state law varies, not just federal law. State law may be more restrictive than federal law.. Look at Kommiefornia for example..

and as far as the collector plates; If the vehicle already had collector plates, then you should be good. It's a title change....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks