• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you pay tonnage with collector plates? (WA state)

aleigh

It's not for-hire in your scenario, unless he has, or by agreement intends to, pay you for the service of transport. If you give me $2 for a $2 thing, or $2 for a $1 thing and I bring you the thing and change, it is not for-hire. If you keep the change "for your trouble", it is.

Providing transport for-hire doesn't automatically mean CDL though. For example, you can pay me to drive my car to the 7-11 to get you a slurpee. But not my LMTV.

I dunno about your guy or this guy or that guy but I don't think it's common experience that the DOT guys or especially the LEOs are well versed in any manner of the law other than that which they choose to selectively enforce - and interpret. Remember there is no one single version of the law. There is that guys interpretation of it. And then later the judges interpretation... And even that is not consistent necessarily from case to case. The law is fluid.

74M35A2

I follow what my boss tells me at work. "Make every decision as if you will be standing in court needing to explain it, because you just likely may.". I run full GVW plates here in MI, fastened to the truck, at a cost of $497 for 12 months. 2 others I know run historical and keep them in the truck, that is on them. If my 925a2 hits somebody, no matter who's fault, a lot of damage is going to happen, and there are going to be a lot of questions digging deep from people getting paid high $ trying to find something I did wrong.

I don't want to own something this big, only to be scared to use it. Winch on the front, rear, we're not here long, let's go have fun and nobody takes our house. Each their own.

Last edited:

aleigh

I am with 74M35A2, I just pay full up, with the correct title and weight (including the trailers which AZ drivers seem to forget since apparently you title for the combination, surprise!), and I expect to not have a problem. Then again I drive my truck a lot more than twice a year, and for many purposes, but I probably only haul a trailer that many times. To each their own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks